OGXbox.com

Lower your temps by ~12C on 1.0 & 1.6

eeksdee

Been a bit bored as of late and wanted to see how low temps I could get. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom gave the CPU farrrr too much voltage: 1.7V! Nuts!

Well the CPU itself runs perfectly fine at 1.3V (lowest the voltage reg will go without messing with the feedback loop).

1.0: Remove the 0ohm resistor on R2E4

1.6: Remove the 2 0ohm resistors on R2E7 & R2E3

The only drawback of doing this, is you'll no longer be able to push the CPU frequency over ~950MHz.

The temperature screenshot is from my 1.6, I'm aware that the 1.6 does not have entirely accurate monitoring, but you can see a clear difference. Both were taken at a ~73F ambient with fan running at 20%.

Enjoy.

1.0-ic.jpg

1.6-ic.png

temps.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Marty said:

....or, you can set fan speed in a custom BIOS, which you would have if you've modded your console.

3 major benefits of undervolting vs. raising the fan speed.

1. Prolonged life of your Xbox
  2. Prolonged life of your fan
  3. Not having to listen to a noisy fan at higher RPMs

Even if you replace with a noctua it's still annoying.

23 hours ago, eeksdee said:

3 major benefits of undervolting vs. raising the fan speed.

1. Prolonged life of your Xbox
  2. Prolonged life of your fan
  3. Not having to listen to a noisy fan at higher RPMs

Even if you replace with a noctua it's still annoying.

It would end up being cheaper than replacing all the fans with noctuas and running them at 100. Good point. Resistors are fuckin CHEAP.

Never heard of this. Did you discover it?

The only drawback of doing this, is you'll no longer be able to push the CPU frequency over ~950MHz.

I've only ever heard of the xbox CPU being 733mhz. Is the above an allusion to xboxes with upgraded CPUs like from that trusty person? Bowl, how does someone even overclock an xbox? I have read most of the stuff out there about modding xboxes, I can't believe I'm missing something this big.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fox said:

I've only ever heard of the xbox CPU being 733mhz. Is the above an allusion to xboxes with upgraded CPUs like from that trusty person? Bowl, how does someone even overclock an xbox? I have read most of the stuff out there about modding xboxes, I can't believe I'm missing something this big.

Xboverclock. Cerbios tends to reject the clock speed change now, though. I only have it working on 2 of my boxes. The rest are like NAH. Friggin X Codes.

1 hour ago, eeksdee said:

Perhaps this will be better for you, my good friend. :)

https://github.com/GXTX/XboxOverclock/releases/tag/v1.3

... What is 32bbps and why is that the only description? I'll try it after school. Thanks for being so quick to report on the release!

20 hours ago, eeksdee said:

Sounds like your box is broken or something then. I've never heard of anyone complaining about that.

That's what I told her.

On 10/23/2023 at 2:12 PM, eeksdee said:

Been a bit bored as of late and wanted to see how low temps I could get. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom gave the CPU farrrr too much voltage: 1.7V! Nuts!

Well the CPU itself runs perfectly fine at 1.3V (lowest the voltage reg will go without messing with the feedback loop).

1.0: Remove the 0ohm resistor on R2E4

1.6: Remove the 2 0ohm resistors on R2E7 & R2E3

The temperature screenshot is from my 1.6, I'm aware that the 1.6 does not have entirely accurate monitoring, but you can see a clear difference. Both were taken at a ~73F ambient with fan running at 20%.

Enjoy.

1.0-ic.jpg

1.6-ic.png

temps.png

Did you stress test your consoles after this mod, to verify if the xbox runs stable with the lower voltage?

On 10/25/2023 at 1:13 AM, fox said:

Btw, there are other upgrades you can do if you have the tools. I have 3 cpus and 10 interposers, but I'm scared to try it, honestly. I need a 40 dollar console, for one thing. But I'd rather start with a CPU I can BGA straight onto the mobo, rather than fucking with the interposer. I could buy an upgraded console for 1000 bucks... But fuck that. I only want one I've done myself.

Not all are 1.4ghz. SL6BY and one other is 1.4. Both require the interposer though... Sigh...

• 3 months later...

I'm curious if anyone else has attempted this?

I would love to know if this has any long-term negative effects on components or any possible downsides, random crashes in games, slowdowns perhaps? 

Almost sounds to good to be that simple

6 hours ago, SnowDome said:

I would love to know if this has any long-term negative effects on components or any possible downsides, random crashes in games, slowdowns perhaps? 

I wanted to do this aswell but I have the same concerns as you lol. 😂 

6 hours ago, SnowDome said:

I doubt there would be slowdowns if you did this. Although you are running at a lower voltage, your clock speed is still the same. It is possible that there may be lockups when undervolted, but I'm not sure if this is going to result in it. Maybe you could buy a used (":broken" "parts" ) console and try it out.