OGXbox.com

XeniumMods v3.x - Dual Fan Upgrade Kit

NeMesiS

ADCreHcRtT6kf8pwxi89RuXrevtHQxJP11YQTp1f

ADCreHd5COubiL5ALFnuNIV-PlhZLLJb1sb4VR_8

Introduction:

Designing the "Dual 80mm Fan Caddy" was a nightmare...
It's been something I've been working on for a few years now.
Tolerances were extremely tight, much of it had to be spot-on to fit correctly.
The design has been split into separate pieces to better suit 3D printing.
This reduces the chance of failures and helps produce quality prints.

I was able to send a half dozen samples to volunteers for testing sometime ago.
The results were far better than I had expected, I've still not had the chance
to see for myself but I trust the feedback that was given to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

ADCreHdSzJBHCS8pYz_cipuYR33YZTKC3oWJAGax

Recapitulate:

Due to my usuall supplier "3dfillies.com" not having sufficient stocks of filament.
I have not been able to start printing these off for sale in larger quantities.
Did some test prints with other filament brands but I wasn't happy with the results.
Until a solution can be found, I decided to go ahead and print using what available
filament I had remaining.

Some of which are still available at a discount for those that are interested...

• Like 2

ADCreHdNZs5UDIjHSgSqLmwdwhsWRPPLgFp63LKQ

Filament:

I know I'm being super picky about the filament but I really liked 3dfillies product.
I contacted them to see when they were expecting filaments to be restocked.
They assured me that they're next shipment was expected to arrive on the 8th, plus a
few days to unpack and inventory the shipment.

They also brought it to my attention that:
"Formulation has changed slightly to make it stronger so the appearance it a little more shiny".
This shouldn't be an issue, looking forward to ordering from them as soon as stock is available.
And to start printing the "Dual Fan Kits" for official release.

• Like 1

ADCreHe5m2Z-OQjZbX66nHCPOCFTBi55jm4XKYVT

ADCreHe9fEi33W1NsrUuoD4IfswvfcW6ETgqDyPF

Case Fan Housing:

The "Dual Fan Upgrade Kit" consists of 3 main parts:
"Case Fan Housing", "HDD Conversion" and the "Dual Fan Caddy".
All of which will be sold separately at some point.

The "Case Fan Housing" was the first thing I designed when I got a 3D printer.
At the time I was seeing people trying to install replacement case fans.
The mounting tabs were a point of weakness, so I decided to print them separately
and included spares. I know that the "Case Fan Housing" isn't necessary but I'm
going to try and works things out in a way that the "Case Fan Housing" is either
included for free or at a highly discounted rate.

• Like 3

ADCreHfo5uFuqjdQJcWX1J6NaO0cYs1ZAMwONmnc

ADCreHf4oKLu_49v5arA9jOnJNMNmcqbRoNyToEm

HDD Conversion:

For the "Dual Fan Upgrade Kit" to work we have to remove the DVD-rom and relocate the HDD to that side.
The "HDD Converstion" is split into two pieces, the "HDD Caddy" and "DVD Bezel Bracket"
A gap between the two pieces has been created to help improve airflow around the HDD.
The "HDD Caddy" snaps into the DVD-rom moutning bracket. I tried leaving plenty of tolerances
to allow for a variety of different Drive and Adaptor installs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

ADCreHf9OEOMQEGEh_WJHy9ZdlqpbyJtG-wJG_hm

ADCreHfW-s9m2CtI7Y6MWKLlgyh7bvXjsY83MDNs

Dual Fan Caddy:

The "Dual 80mm Fan Caddy" is split into a number of pieces to better suit 3D printing:
"Top Faceplate", "Mounting Legs", "CPU/PSU Divider" and the "Dual Fan Caddy" itself.
Again, this reduces the chance of failures and helps produce quality prints.

The "Top Faceplate" is shaped to help direct airflow towards the 80mm fans and
to act as a bit of a spacer for the RF shielding if one chooses to keep it.
I decided to print the "Mounting Legs" separately as I figured this would be a
point of weakness especially during shipping. The original HDD caddy had a
"CPU/PSU Divider" on the underside of the caddy, I tried to replicate this with
a piece that mounts directly to the motherboard.

• Like 3

ADCreHculzFtYsyo_pOrTH-Kb6tHEjHN-7iHC2yR

ADCreHf9xBo5HimnIDAXz_2DC_jrNP0PtzMKubyu

Dual Fan Caddy: (continued)

And the "Dual Fan Caddy" itself houses 2x 80x25mm fans.
It was extremely difficult it getting everything lined up to the point it would fit
into a console much like the original HDD caddy did. Many tolerances were very tight
not allowing me to get too creative with the design, due to all of the restrictions.
I was getting worried that I might not be able to get it to look good, but I managed
to pull it off somehow (in my opinion) and the "Top Faceplate" was the cherry on top.

• Like 2

ADCreHf6pCjsBmpVWn1MpHgsA3TFHFVF2qXe7-DW

ADCreHcF0GO0EE5dMf7oZN1Asqx638Q9GvxQh-Wh

Pricing:

Now that we're getting close to officially releasing the "Dual Fan Kit" it's time
to start thinking about price, which is more difficult than one might think.
Charge too low and I risk undercutting myself or charge too much and no one will
purchase it, so it's important to find a middle ground.

I can only print these kits so fast, maybe on average one per 14 hour work day
using 3x printers. What I've done in the past was to fluctuate the price of
prints to help regulate my workload, instead of a fixed price there will be a
price range. When stocks are low and demand is high the price will be in the
higher range and vice versa for when stocks are high but demand is low.

3D printing all day, every day for long periods of time can really get a bit much
as prints constantly need monitoring and the printers constantly need calibrating
and maintenance. Sometimes it gets to the point where I just need a break from it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

ADCreHf6pCjsBmpVWn1MpHgsA3TFHFVF2qXe7-DW

ADCreHcF0GO0EE5dMf7oZN1Asqx638Q9GvxQh-Wh

Pricing:

Now that we're getting close to officially releasing the "Dual Fan Kit" it's time
to start thinking about price, which is more difficult than one might think.
Charge too low and I risk undercutting myself or charge too much and no one will
purchase it, so it's important to find a middle ground.

I can only print these kits so fast, maybe on average one per 14 hour work day
using 3x printers. What I've done in the past was to fluctuate the price of
prints to help regulate my workload, instead of a fixed price there will be a
price range. When stocks are low and demand is high the price will be in the
higher range and vice versa for when stocks are high but demand is low.

3D printing all day, every day for long periods of time can really get a bit much
as prints constantly need monitoring and the printers constantly need calibrating
and maintenance. Sometimes it gets to the point where I just need a break from it.

Amazing work! Installing mine right now.  Thank you.

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eeksdee said:

The $40 shipped for the DVD conversion is already high, can't imagine this will be priced well 😬. 3D printing services doing $20 shipped for the version on thingaverse. Looks cool though.

Sorry my pricing may be a bit expensive for you however I am always looking out for different ways to bring prices down & be more competitive.
Would be interested in seeing which Thingiverse design and 3D printing service you're referring to, especially if it's in Australia.

Cheers, Nem

9 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Sorry my pricing may be a bit expensive for you however I am always looking out for different ways to bring prices down & be more competitive.
Would be interested in seeing which Thingiverse design and 3D printing service you're referring to, especially if it's in Australia.

Cheers, Nem

I was able to get both of these printed for $20 shipped via an eBay user doing printing services. Biggest issue is you being in AU, nearly half of the price is just shipping. Not much you can do there.

Indeed the prices of shipping are not great to other parts of the world, but in return you get a product that fits like a glove and that feels like a real kit and not as a bunch of parts thrown together. The quality he delivers with his 3D printing is superb. I never seen a part printed so good like these parts.

Both 3D files you share here are far from the quality nemesis sells. For example your hdd caddy is not good for the airflow of the xbox because its open. The dvd delete kit looks also somewhat flimsy compared to the thick printed one from nemesis. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, eeksdee said:

I was able to get both of these printed for $20 shipped via an eBay user doing printing services. Biggest issue is you being in AU, nearly half of the price is just shipping. Not much you can do there.

I wouldn't compare those to Nem's - I have all of them and Nem's is a complete kit and way better quality / design.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dempsey_86 said:

Indeed the prices of shipping are not great to other parts of the world, but in return you get a product that fits like a glove and that feels like a real kit and not as a bunch of parts thrown together. The quality he delivers with his 3D printing is superb. I never seen a part printed so good like these parts.

Both 3D files you share here are far from the quality nemesis sells. For example your hdd caddy is not good for the airflow of the xbox because its open. The dvd delete kit looks also somewhat flimsy compared to the thick printed one from nemesis. 

Agree with the airflow, the only complaint with that, but in return you get permissively licensed files. :)

ADCreHeRudFxa86lnz1yFH1pHbQyYi93R7Hyfdt-

ADCreHfLJ_jyPMdGDBRix35JbgjhR1GZ7Is_Ic1e

On 10/9/2023 at 12:40 AM, eeksdee said:

Operating from Australia is probably my biggest disadvantage...

Also as you can see above. While using the same slicer profile my prints do take longer to complete

On 10/9/2023 at 7:06 AM, Donnie-Burger said:

I wouldn't compare those to Nem's - I have all of them and Nem's is a complete kit and way better quality / design.

I put a ridiculous about of time into designing all of the pieces that make up the entire kit.
Printing countless tests to see if things line up or didn't make contact with other parts of the console.
Making the slightest of changes and test printing again to check fitment for further improvements.
Honestly, I have no idea of how many hours I put into the designs, but it was a lot.

On 10/8/2023 at 12:07 PM, eeksdee said:

The $40 shipped for the DVD conversion is already high, can't imagine this will be priced well 😬. 3D printing services doing $20 shipped for the version on thingaverse. Looks cool though.

Going back to your original response in regard to pricing, I have to factor in the following:

• Time spent on designs and printing (my time/labor cost money)
  • Cost of printing setup (need to make back my investment)
  • Replacement parts to maintain printers. (ongoing costs)
  • Cost of electricity which isn't cheap ATM. (ongoing costs)
  • Cost of filament and shipping materials. (ongoing costs)

I'm sure I could come up with more, but you get the idea. There are a lot of factors that need to be considered.
And I would like to make a profit somewhere in there, that I can use to go towards future projects.
For example, saving up to possibly get my designs plastic mold injected.

Doubt the guy that printed and shipped those pieces made much of a profit from $20

Hope this gives some insight to why pricing something can be difficult, especially if there are variables.

Cheers, Nem

• Like 3

ADCreHfuWgRDUeHASkT0EfnMj88Sbb_wAhV3kekg

Coming Soon:

3Dfillies Black PLA+ filament has now become available...

I just ordered a box with 8x rolls of Black PLA+ and should expect it to arrive within a week.
Upon arrival I will start printing off as many "Dual Fan Upgrade Kits" that I can before official release.
In the meantime, I'll finish up a handful of prints for other projects and give the printers a once over.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 6:25 PM, NeMesiS said:

ADCreHfuWgRDUeHASkT0EfnMj88Sbb_wAhV3kekg

Coming Soon:

3Dfillies Black PLA+ filament has now become available...

I just ordered a box with 8x rolls of Black PLA+ and should expect it to arrive within a week.
Upon arrival I will start printing off as many "Dual Fan Upgrade Kits" that I can before official release.
In the meantime, I'll finish up a handful of prints for other projects and give the printers a once over.

Everything lined up perfectly.  Smooth install and super clean looking finish.  Professionally crafted.  Thank you Nem!  Keep going!  I will def get some of these sold for you.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Donnie-Burger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 10:51 PM, lightwish said:

This kit works with 1.0 motherboard? Because the GPU fan, I need to remove this fan before install the kit?

Sorry for the late reply,

Yes, the HDD caddy will fit over the GPU fan on v1.0 motherboards just fine.

** For those that have been following the thread, I've starting selling "Dual Fan Upgrade Kits" quietly.
For those that are interested, feel free in getting in contact with me...

Cheers, Nem

• Like 2