OGXbox.com

128mb upgrade worklog — Success!

Bowlsnapper

7 minutes ago, Marty said:

Don't use electrical tape. The heat will cause it to shrink and it will pull away any components it's stuck to.

You're better off using kapton tape....but even there honestly you don't need it, unless you're blocking off caps or plastic parts.

1 minute ago, Bowlsnapper said:

That's what I was going to do, yes. Electrical tape melts from heat. Kapton would be my personal go to. :)

What would either of you be doing to send that much heat outside of the work area? I've never had electrical tape melt.

1 hour ago, fox said:

What would either of you be doing to send that much heat outside of the work area? I've never had electrical tape melt.

You would use kapton tape for blocking when using hot air, otherwise don't use anything.

If you have problems with solder splash or accidentally knocking into components....you'd better brush up on your technique.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

You would use kapton tape for blocking when using hot air, otherwise don't use anything.

If you have problems with solder splash or accidentally knocking into components....you'd better brush up on your technique.

I'm using a magnifyer and I get tunnel vision with the light ring and don't always see that my iron stem is going to touch nearby obstructions. I'm not that wild and loosey goosey. lol

Oh, it's hynix or samsung, not a mix of the two right? I'm getting mixed reports...

8 hours ago, Marty said:

I never splash solder, but technique can't guarantee that one never accidentally pokes something on an area packed with smds.. it happens to the best of us sometimes. Maybe I had too much coffee that day or someone barges into my room when I'm soldering. Why take that 1% risk of hitting nearby components? Ima tape them all.

Edited by fox

3 hours ago, fox said:

I never splash solder, but technique can't guarantee that one never accidentally pokes something on an area packed with smds.. it happens to the best of us sometimes. Maybe I had too much coffee that day or someone barges into my room when I'm soldering. Why take that 1% risk of hitting nearby components? Ima tape them all.

Or flux pops and sends a small amount of solder flying 

9 minutes ago, lopenator said:

good luck brother

Okay. First chip was fried, so I removed it with My hot air, and the board still worked! So after I chucked that in the f****** trash can, I pulled out one of the ram chips I bought instead of one of the ones I salvaged because I didn't trust them anymore, and after I soldered it I found three loose legs. I soldered them all. Then I cleaned up the flux and booted up X blast...

16935530690517021326309096182475.jpg

Thank CHRIST. Now for the next chip...

• Bowlsnapper changed the title to 128mb upgrade worklog — Success!
6 minutes ago, lopenator said:

yeah. without xblast also. you wanna know why I couldn't use xblast?

9a487a60-dd31-4bf8-83ae-24525c2a6ab9.jpg

You need v0.60 for the 1.6 which has the option for it enabled. 

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

First step done, congrats. But check your pins on ram chip 1. Looks like there is one pin without solder (pads looks like it`s dry). Give all of you pins a gently push with some tweezers just to be sure. 

2 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Firstly, impressive. Must have nerves of steel. Secondly, why no xblast? See your edit now. Yes, I would. lol.

because the xbox I was installing the chips into already had stellar HDMI mod. if you didn't know, that ONLY works with stellar mod chip so if I would've put the Aladdin in instead of stellar I would have no video lmao. I had no choice.

for me, anything larger than 0201 isn't too hard. I do a lot of work on Nintendo switches.

Edited by lopenator

6 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

You need v0.60 for the 1.6 which has the option for it enabled. 

First step done, congrats. But check your pins on ram chip 1. Looks like there is one pin without solder (pads looks like it`s dry). Give all of you pins a gently push with some tweezers just to be sure. 

yeah, that wasn't my issue lol. stellar was the problem. my console kept fragging. it took a microscope and 10 hours to find the 1 pin that wasn't connected. I had no idea which chip it was until I finally found the pin that wiggled a teeny tiny bit. got the fucker.

Edited by lopenator
  • Like 1