OGXbox.com

IS DOSXBox supposed to be slow F**K?

Bowlsnapper

• 7 months later...
15 hours ago, willis said:

Just trying to follow up on this, because I'm very interested in doing to mod. Can anyone confirm it does improve performance? If it does help with DosXbox then that would be more of a reason to get it done.

It should help but by "how big of a margin" I don't know. 

I would be interested to see if anyone who had that mod done could test that out. If they would be able to test dosXbox without and with the mod, to see if there is much of a performance boost. Especially in a game like Doom because there are Source ports that run perfect but it would be interesting to see how well it ran Within dosXbox. That way it could be tested to see how many more dos games would be able to run on the Xbox overall.

8 hours ago, PRince404 said:

It should help but by "how big of a margin" I don't know. 

@willis I dunno how it would though... How much RAM does a DOS program need? A few megs? I would think that CPU cycles need to be sped up.

What I suspect is happening is that the CPU is being limited so that software does not run "too fast", kinda' like how the "Turbo" button was used on old PCs. However, this does not limit Homebrew like Duke Nukem (which I think is a very narrow port of the Dos program), and I feel that this is being bypassed somehow. Lemmie research. I am talking out of my ass so if I'm wrong then I will delete my post. Please somebody replace this post with knowledge....

I have 128MB... I'll try out Dosbox. What software are you trying to run that is lagging?

18 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

@willis I dunno how it would though... How much RAM does a DOS program need? A few megs? I would think that CPU cycles need to be sped up.

What I suspect is happening is that the CPU is being limited so that software does not run "too fast", kinda' like how the "Turbo" button was used on old PCs. However, this does not limit Homebrew like Duke Nukem (which I think is a very narrow port of the Dos program), and I feel that this is being bypassed somehow. Lemmie research. I am talking out of my ass so if I'm wrong then I will delete my post. Please somebody replace this post with knowledge....

I have 128MB... I'll try out Dosbox. What software are you trying to run that is lagging?

Thank you for the reply! Trying to run anything right now at the moment, just because of the original post asking about why Doom is running so slow. I was just more Curious overall because I wanted to get the 128 MB mod done and the idea of running all kinds of Dos games on the Xbox through dosXbox would be great! Trying to really gather information as to if there could be optimization done in order for more games to run well or what would be causing limitations and performance issues.

I bring this up because I haven't been around on these forums long enough to know if this has already been discussed.

Edited by willis

6 hours ago, willis said:

Thank you for the reply! Trying to run anything right now at the moment, just because of the original post asking about why Doom is running so slow. I was just more Curious overall because I wanted to get the 128 MB mod done and the idea of running all kinds of Dos games on the Xbox through dosXbox would be great! Trying to really gather information as to if there could be optimization done in order for more games to run well or what would be causing limitations and performance issues.

I bring this up because I haven't been around on these forums long enough to know if this has already been discussed.

What software specifically are you sure you would like to run?

11 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

What software specifically are you sure you would like to run?

You know, I didn't have any in mind exactly. I was overly curious if DosXbox could play dos games even up in the mid to late nineties. I guess I would like to figure out how broad of spectrum could be played. From the early games all the way up to the later ones. I'd like to have a massive Dos collection on my Xbox.

I've dozen dozens of 'homebrew' Doom WADs on the Xbox of one sort or another and not really had any serious performance problem, at least nothing that you would not expect.

But if you're just wanting to play Doom I/Doom II and their various iterations (Ultimate Doom and the Doom II Master Levels) on the original Xbox at its best then get Doom: Resurrection Of Evil which includes them as bonuses. It is a fantastic package if you buy Doom III and Doom ROE, you'll be all Doomed out if you play through everything they contain.

If you have a Xbox360 then the remastered Doom III BFG edition has all that and an additional set of Doom III missions too.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Doom WADs

For me Odamex v7. 0 is the best way to play Doom on the OGXBox. It has 60 FPS support, can adjust CRT Overscan somewhat, 720i support, supports dex/beh patches and runs pretty much very good even with slightly large wads. 

I finished Doom Zero just yesterday.