OGXbox.com

PSU certainly dead when it has no 3,3v?

Megoosa

My in January repaired 1.4 Xbox console is dead today, it didn't turn on 😐 Both the power and eject button does nothing. It played fine a week ago.

I opened it up, disconnected the PSU from the mainboard and used a multimeter to check the voltage between the grey pin and ground according to the diagram below (Delta PSU). It only jumps to 0,05-0,1v when it's connected to a power outlet. It gives no 3,3v.

Does it mean the PSU is dead and not easily fixable? 😢

XboxPSPinouts.jpg

Edited by Megoosa

You need to test the voltages while the PSU is connected to the MB. Check the purple wire for 3.3 volts

Normally the PowOk comes from the mother board to keep the PSU running

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

You mean the grey one (I have the PSU from Delta), the stand-by 3,3v? There's no purple wire on this PSU.

I tested it this time with the PSU connected to the mainboard and it's 0,0v 😔 Without the mainboard connected it jumps to 0,05-0,1v when it's connected to the power outlet but drops to 0,0v within a second.

Edited by Megoosa

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 8:19 PM, Megoosa said:

My in January repaired 1.4 Xbox console is dead today, it didn't turn on 😐 Both the power and eject button does nothing. It played fine a week ago.

I opened it up, disconnected the PSU from the mainboard and used a multimeter to check the voltage between the grey pin and ground according to the diagram below (Delta PSU). It only jumps to 0,05-0,1v when it's connected to a power outlet. It gives no 3,3v.

Does it mean the PSU is dead and not easily fixable? 😢

XboxPSPinouts.jpg

To be honest checking the volts is not all that necessary unless you plan on trying to repair it. There are only two things that cause an original Xbox to not turn on, busted caps on the mobo, or a bad PSU. If the caps are good on the mobo then it is definitely your PSU. Are you wanting to repair it? The only way you could is if you had the spare parts from other PSU's if you have them lying around, the one easy fix is if any of the caps on the PSU are busted. Otherwise it isn't like you can buy new coils, etc. Your only real solution beyond that is replacing it with a replacement PSU like one of the ones here:

https://www.tinker-mods.com/buy-replacement-parts/original-xbox/power-supplies/original-xbox-power-supply.php

I don't have the knowledge to repair the power supply, unfortunately. And it's the only power supply I have for this Xbox.

I saw the units on Tinker-Mods, but I think the free shipping isn't for The Netherlands. And US power supplies not always support the 230vac used here as input.

13 minutes ago, Megoosa said:

I don't have the knowledge to repair the power supply, unfortunately. And it's the only power supply I have for this Xbox.

I saw the units on Tinker-Mods, but I think the free shipping isn't for The Netherlands. And US power supplies not always support the 230vac used here as input.

find a 2nd hand 1.4 from marktplaats. Will definitely be cheaper then the shipping costs from US ;)

7 hours ago, coldasijs said:

find a 2nd hand 1.4 from marktplaats. Will definitely be cheaper then the shipping costs from US ;)

That's true. But I feel bad at the idea of stripping a good console to repair another one. I tried to find a 1.2-1.4 with a dead mainboard but didn't found one yet.

In the meantime I have another Xbox OG to play games on. It's a 1.0 with the Foxlink power supply which has the weak soldering points. I resoldered it and hope it will last long.

3 hours ago, big F said:

Usually the transistors go or the control chip. Either way it’s dead Jim.

You can fix em but it will often fail again. As the caps take a hit from the bad voltages when things break.

That's sad 😒 

It seem to be possible to hook up a ATX power supply to it? But it's not practical, doesn't fit in the case.

On 7/18/2023 at 11:16 AM, TinkerMods said:

To be honest checking the volts is not all that necessary unless you plan on trying to repair it. There are only two things that cause an original Xbox to not turn on, busted caps on the mobo, or a bad PSU. If the caps are good on the mobo then it is definitely your PSU. Are you wanting to repair it? The only way you could is if you had the spare parts from other PSU's if you have them lying around, the one easy fix is if any of the caps on the PSU are busted. Otherwise it isn't like you can buy new coils, etc. Your only real solution beyond that is replacing it with a replacement PSU like one of the ones here:

https://www.tinker-mods.com/buy-replacement-parts/original-xbox/power-supplies/original-xbox-power-supply.php

The other cause is rotted front panel traces

.. BIG cause...

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 12:31 PM, big F said:

You can hook up a pico it’s psi, then run the power to it via a bullet connector and external psu   That’s how we do it on the slimmed OGXboxes.

Seeing as I cannot edit this post for some reason after my phones spell checking AI crap edited the whole thing into nonsense. Tuis is what I was trying to say :-

You can hook up a pico ATX PSU then run the power to it via a bullet connector and external mains to 12v  psu   That’s how we do it on the slimmed OGXboxes

2 hours ago, big F said:

AI crap edited the whole thing into nonsense.

I had the same issue when replying to online forums and the like from my phone.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The traces of the power/eject button are already repaired/bypassed on this one. Also, the PSU should give 3,3v if the button traces on the mainboard are broken.

3 hours ago, big F said:

You can hook up a pico ATX PSU then run the power to it via a bullet connector and external mains to 12v  psu   That’s how we do it on the slimmed OGXboxes

But I have read some thread on this forum saying a pico PSU actually doesn't have enough power on the 5v and on some Xbox boards capacitors are removed to make it boot? Also, without additional hardware the pico PSU is set to always-on so the Xbox board also get power when it's off. That doesn't hurt the board at the long time?

6 hours ago, Megoosa said:

The traces of the power/eject button are already repaired/bypassed on this one. Also, the PSU should give 3,3v if the button traces on the mainboard are broken.

But I have read some thread on this forum saying a pico PSU actually doesn't have enough power on the 5v and on some Xbox boards capacitors are removed to make it boot? Also, without additional hardware the pico PSU is set to always-on so the Xbox board also get power when it's off. That doesn't hurt the board at the long time?

There are several different types now and also a few with higher outputs although the price goes up.   I did look a while ago at using a 360 supply and having a micro ATX for only the PON and 3.3v, having it shunt relays to bring the 360 supply online and deliver the 12 and 5v.