OGXbox.com

XeniumMods v3.xx SneakPeak!

NeMesiS

6 hours ago, trycatch said:

One idea that comes to mind if you wanted to avoid a soldering method is you could design a clip like what's used for dumping NAND on the 360 and Wii https://www.360-clip.com/

But you'd have to do it pretty well with something that can apply downward pressure constantly.

I think there are a couple of issues - pin density, space around the IC and there are other points that need to be connected (assuming it would be similar to MakeMHz points). The other thing is ensuring the clip doesn't unclip. I think clips are good for temporary things but not necessarily long term.

A clip could work there's plenty of room around those legs to clip onto it's far easier than clipping NAND, this obviously wouldn't work on the 1.6 XBox though.

And yes it unclipping is a concern that's why I said it would have to be designed with enough downward pressure so it doesn't.

19 hours ago, trycatch said:

One idea that comes to mind if you wanted to avoid a soldering method is you could design a clip like what's used for dumping NAND on the 360 and Wii https://www.360-clip.com/

Interesting...

22 hours ago, Johno2518 said:

I'm in Australia and although I've already installed the MakeMHz HDMI mod I've also recorded it with the intention of releasing a video for my future channel on YouTube. In any case I'd be happy to test your HDMI mod out.

19 hours ago, trycatch said:

Howdy, I'm an Aussie as well would be happy to test anything you may have been in the XBox scene since about 04 :P

I've already sent out all the parcels for testing my 3D prints.

When it comes time that I need hardware testers I'll announce it on the thread.

13 hours ago, Dempsey_86 said:

Yes, you can edit this line in the cerbios.ini:

; Drive Setup 
; 0 = HDD & DVD,  1 = HDD & No DVD (Legacy Mode), 2 = HDD & No DVD (Modern Mode), 3 = Dual HDD 
DriveSetup = 2

The modern mode removes the whole dvd code out of the bios so you don't have the stutter and freezes in the dash menu. So with cerbios there is no need for the pcb.

Nice... I think it's about time I have a good play around with Cerbios it's come along way since I last did.

I assume they have v1.6 support by now?

I can't keep up with everything these days, the xbox modding community has come along way over the past 5 years. It was getting to the point where we were losing related sites left and right. It looked like it was on the verge of complete collapse, any new projects were few and far in between but there were people like Rocky5 doing their best in keeping it alive. I do believe that Ryzee119's work played a huge roll in the community's resurrection and with the advent of Covid which somewhat cemented peoples growing interested in the OGXbox console and the projects that followed.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

Nice... I think it's about time I have a good play around with Cerbios it's come along way since I last did.

I assume they have v1.6 support by now?

Yes the version 2.3.0 and up has 1.6 support

The only downside with Cerbios is the Stella chip is not supporting it..

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

20 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

is that a downside of stellar or is that a downside of cerbios? 

🤯

3 minutes ago, lopenator said:

is that a downside of stellar or is that a downside of cerbios? 

🤯

In my view it's the Stella chip. More importantly the designer MakeMhz not wanting to fully support Cerbios.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

In my view it's the Stella chip. More importantly the designer MakeMhz not wanting to fully support Cerbios.

Cheers

SS Dave

100% agree. I'm just messing around lol

• Like 1

AIL4fc9Iy_CLfiXHW8LHOnc592gR0_OfeA6WxE7F

AIL4fc-IEjOMG9Yrx_hsWkwo8abNskvUdRhXKsMX

AIL4fc-P6qNNT_344BMzJVDf2VtqXJSugKD5uWHg

I wasn't really sure where I was going with this module, but it seems to fit as intended.

It was a bit of a tight fit getting the cable connected as those ferrite beads (i think) get in the way.

*Don't ask me what happened to the motherboard, it was in a pile of non-working boards I have.

Nice to see progress being made.  I know this is a little off topic but Im wondering if its possible to bypass the Nvidia GPU somehow and send a video signal right to the HDMI mod.  If you could do this might it be possible to have a cheap ARM chip of somekind on the HDMI mod that would do video decoding?  or maybe perhaps an ARM chip on the Xenium ICE modchip itself that could send a video signal to the HDMI mod.   Like I said I know its a little off topic, it was just something I was curious about.

edit:  Obviously I dont mean bypass the GPU for gaming related stuff because you need the NVidia GPU for that.  I was thinking more for video streaming being able to bypass the Xbox's limited streaming abilities.

Edited by RMM

1 hour ago, NeMesiS said:

I wasn't really sure where I was going with this module, but it seems to fit as intended.

It was a bit of a tight fit getting the cable connected as those ferrite beads (i think) get in the way.

*Don't ask me what happened to the motherboard, it was in a pile of non-working boards I have.

AIL4fc-hV9xCuFH3gL9ROpxH9nc4gotlz2va1nJL

AIL4fc_rClyTSS_ohU1yK70npGL0YkugIG9sgkKK

AIL4fc-vbjgO-C95uMo_JSYKI1oAUSxNT1J3o-bJ

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Very nice!  Came through that time 

Cheers, thanks for the heads up...

AIL4fc8ehOZzt9hLTiBDq4DfzSxExIV3yGRQfrmt

AIL4fc-dewC02owhQfy6s77oQFZbuswj4i5prk4H

I said I wasn't going to but I made some final changes to the QSB module for a slightly better fitment.

I'm pretty happy with the SPD and QSB modules that I'm confident in them being the final design.

The v1.6 flex cable needs a little bit or work and I have not yet tested the v1.0-1.5 flex cable.

I'm going to install the cables properly and test them with the XboxHD+ so I can make changes for another proto batch as soon as possible...

I'm still awaiting one last parcel containing the components i need to completely assemble a XeniumHD+ for it's first test run. It would be great to have a working prototype on the first go but I don't really expect to, there's every chance I've forgotten a trace or ordered a wrong component. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMM said:

Nice to see progress being made.  I know this is a little off topic but Im wondering if its possible to bypass the Nvidia GPU somehow and send a video signal right to the HDMI mod.  If you could do this might it be possible to have a cheap ARM chip of somekind on the HDMI mod that would do video decoding?  or maybe perhaps an ARM chip on the Xenium ICE modchip itself that could send a video signal to the HDMI mod.   Like I said I know its a little off topic, it was just something I was curious about.

edit:  Obviously I dont mean bypass the GPU for gaming related stuff because you need the NVidia GPU for that.  I was thinking more for video streaming being able to bypass the Xbox's limited streaming abilities.

You mean bypass the encoder?

7 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

Well, the way I would put it is that one of the several downsides of Stella is that CERBIOS isn't supported ;)

INTENTIONALLY!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RMM said:

I'm into some of the older retro stuff than even the Xbox, like Sinclair Spectrum as that was my childhood gaming era in the eighties...

I've seen a lot of other PCB's and HDMI solutions for various vintage consoles and computers back then, including the Amiga for example and they use, in my view at least, an easier approach to this HDMI issue.

Mostly they use a Pi Zero, which has the HDMI already and of course the license to use it. So it's interfaced on the 2x20 riser to the retro computer, usually with a buffer daughterboard for the video input. RGB on the Amiga for instance. Even the Spectrum next uses a zero as an accelerator (not video) so its a cheap versatile bit of kit.

Beyond my remit to interface the digital xbox video into the Pi zero, but seems an easier option that was overlooked to me.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Johno2518 said:

You mean bypass the encoder?

No I was talking about decoding video streams.  You can either use hardware decoding or do it through software.  The original Xbox just doesnt have the power to decode modern codecs.  What you are left with is an Xbox that is basically limited to h.263 at 720p and even then it is iffy so you can do much with current video streaming

I was thinking if you could somehow take a video on the Xbox and send that video stream to an ARM chip on the HDMI mod or perhaps a modchip you could allow that ARM chip to do the video decoding in hardware and output that to the HDMI connection.  This would then convievably allow the Xbox to output 1080p/4k H.265 video.  Again I dont know how the Xbox hardware works to know if this would even be a possibility

13 minutes ago, trencherfield said:

I'm into some of the older retro stuff than even the Xbox, like Sinclair Spectrum as that was my childhood gaming era in the eighties...

I've seen a lot of other PCB's and HDMI solutions for various vintage consoles and computers back then, including the Amiga for example and they use, in my view at least, an easier approach to this HDMI issue.

Mostly they use a Pi Zero, which has the HDMI already and of course the license to use it. So it's interfaced on the 2x20 riser to the retro computer, usually with a buffer daughterboard for the video input. RGB on the Amiga for instance. Even the Spectrum next uses a zero as an accelerator (not video) so its a cheap versatile bit of kit.

Beyond my remit to interface the digital xbox video into the Pi zero, but seems an easier option that was overlooked to me.

That was kind of my thought to treat it a something of a daughterboard where you add an ARM chip like the Pi has that can do hardware decoding and you let the ARM take care of videos.  I dont know if you would need the whole Pi setup but it is an interesting approach.

edit: let me also add if you can do the daughterboard/Pi approach, those chips also have the ability to do other functions like bluetooth.  Maybe then you could have some sort of native bluetooth controller support.

Edited by RMM

44 minutes ago, trencherfield said:

It would be possible after-all the same system has been used albeit the encoding/decoding is handled differently for the likes of the BBC B, as it obviously lacks a Denise chip as in the Amigas. IIRC there are other vintage systems using it as a basis for their HDMI conversions.   The only thing is possible lag, as there is a bit on the Amiga itteration, but the screen is no where near as busy as your average OGXbox title will be.

Edited by big F