OGXbox.com

Consumer CRT/modern flat-screen/ PVM?

Tartarus

3 hours ago, coldasijs said:

all tv's can display 240p natively. It's basically 480i, but instead of interchanging even-uneven lines between frames it will always show the even lines(or uneven). This is where the scanlines come from.

don't think RGB adds much over component. In theory it should have slighty better color accuracy, but in reality you will not see a significant difference. You can gain more with a better screen then going the RGB route.

3 hours ago, coldasijs said:

all tv's can display 240p natively. It's basically 480i, but instead of interchanging even-uneven lines between frames it will always show the even lines(or uneven). This is where the scanlines come from.

don't think RGB adds much over component. In theory it should have slighty better color accuracy, but in reality you will not see a significant difference. You can gain more with a better screen then going the RGB route.

That's true, although hud things that are pixelated for 240 end up being bigger and more apparent, in my observation.

• 1 month later...

DSC3939.jpg

DSC3941.jpg

DSC3944.jpg

Got my first PVM. It's an 8 inch, so it's nothing impressive, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on ANOTHER CRT, so I found the cheapest RGB PVM I could, and here it is. Works like new, man. Looks as good as everybody says ot does. Looks better than in the photos, that's for sure... I took photos slightly defucused to avoid moire, but I might just take some focused anyway...

Hookup is S-Video.

@Tartarus @trencherfield @coldasijs

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 6:11 AM, Tartarus said:

Just thought I'd ask what are you guys using to play your Xbox on??

A sharp crt tv which was dragged into the house on may 5th 2005. No one wanted it. I think it's a 25". I had to replace a bunch of parts last year. I'm amazed it has lasted this long, given my luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This and that.

Replaced a bunch of leaking capacitors, carbon resistors that drifted, a couple transistors that had shorts emerging within them. Trying to identify those transistors was a real bastard nuisance, with the worthless service manual not saying what models they were. Not to mention wasting days googling "how tos" that are all pure electrical engineering jargon. I wanna rant about that last part but no...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox said:

This and that.

Replaced a bunch of leaking capacitors, carbon resistors that drifted, a couple transistors that had shorts emerging within them. Trying to identify those transistors was a real bastard nuisance, with the worthless service manual not saying what models they were. Not to mention wasting days googling "how tos" that are all pure electrical engineering jargon. I wanna rant about that last part but no...

I should learn how to test for things like that, instead of only knowing how to replace electrolytics caps. I think I could take things further if I did.

• 2 weeks later...

All I have is a Consoomer grade Flatscreen LG 21" CRT that only has two Composite In(s). I really would like to obtain a bigger CRT (preferably 26-27") with Component on it. 

IMO 8,16,24 and early 32Bit Games (N64, Xbox, PS2) were the only ones meant to be played on CRTs. So I really prefer that for these generation of Consoles. 

Plasma, VN LCD and OLEDs for the rest and newer stuff. I know CRTs are in their own league but the problem is that I live in a country where non the good HW was ever released and the ones that were either of way too low of supply and priced insanely high. 

PVM,BVM, JVC, Toshibas, Panasonics, Trinitrons were probably never launched in my country or some neighboring ones. Importing one would probably cost me an Arm or a Leg if not both. So I'm looking to mod Component on my CRT that I have even though that's rarely done and most of the times not possible. I only have two OG 1.6 Xboxes that I only play old games on it via Emulators with the CRT that I have because that's all I can get.

A lady was selling her 29" CRT (40 Kgs) nearby but it was a Scamsung and had really shit Red Channel Convergence problem on the right side of the tube. only had single Component input that could do a max 480i and the PPI (Phosphors per Inch) are were really terrible on it. On top of that she was asking 60USD (Converted from my Currency) for it. I GTFO of her house when I heard the price.

4 hours ago, PRince404 said:

All I have is a Consoomer grade Flatscreen LG 21" CRT that only has two Composite In(s). I really would like to obtain a bigger CRT (preferably 26-27") with Component on it. 

IMO 8,16,24 and early 32Bit Games (N64, Xbox, PS2) were the only ones meant to be played on CRTs. So I really prefer that for these generation of Consoles. 

Plasma, VN LCD and OLEDs for the rest and newer stuff. I know CRTs are in their own league but the problem is that I live in a country where non the good HW was ever released and the ones that were either of way too low of supply and priced insanely high. 

PVM,BVM, JVC, Toshibas, Panasonics, Trinitrons were probably never launched in my country or some neighboring ones. Importing one would probably cost me an Arm or a Leg if not both. So I'm looking to mod Component on my CRT that I have even though that's rarely done and most of the times not possible. I only have two OG 1.6 Xboxes that I only play old games on it via Emulators with the CRT that I have because that's all I can get.

A lady was selling her 29" CRT (40 Kgs) nearby but it was a Scamsung and had really shit Red Channel Convergence problem on the right side of the tube. only had single Component input that could do a max 480i and the PPI (Phosphors per Inch) are were really terrible on it. On top of that she was asking 60USD (Converted from my Currency) for it. I GTFO of her house when I heard the price.

The low phosphor count is something my Daewoo has. I don't mind it because it's native 240 and works well for 16 and 8 bit consoles. But for consoles like Xbox, GameCube, n64, etc, I would want 480, yes. Usually the mods for input are RGB though and not component. Poor convergence could have been from needing a recap, although it would be a gamble at 60 bucks if it turned out to be a useless set because it was a gun out of alignment. Magnetic strips can fix it but I haven't done it yet, myself. 

Recaps can do wonders for alignment, geometry and color vibrance.

PXL-20231110-082232961.jpg

Daewoo on the top right is my vintage console set. Left side on the black dresser is hooked up to my Xecuter 3 box with Monster component cables... And my VCR. 720p CRT is hooked up to my 128MB console, hence, half life x. PVM is hooked up to an n64 I modded for RGB. Looks amazing.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

fantastic to see that this thread is still kicking and of course Bowlsnapper demonstrating his Utopia of Awesomeness 😆

Bowlsnapper I don't know if you remember the TV I picked up last year sometime Midsummer for free I'm going to go through it and see if anything is needing replacing I doubt it but good to check

reason for going through it originally is because it's got some dust back there I'd like to get it all cleaned up it has 4 80mm fans at the top of the Shroud at the back they look like they could be cleaned

IF I find any capacitors that are obviously in need of changing what brand of capacitor would you recommend for these type of TVs or if anyone else has got suggestion

for the sake of ease I'll post the information again

Panasonic th-42pz700u

4 hours ago, Tartarus said:

fantastic to see that this thread is still kicking and of course Bowlsnapper demonstrating his Utopia of Awesomeness 😆

Bowlsnapper I don't know if you remember the TV I picked up last year sometime Midsummer for free I'm going to go through it and see if anything is needing replacing I doubt it but good to check

reason for going through it originally is because it's got some dust back there I'd like to get it all cleaned up it has 4 80mm fans at the top of the Shroud at the back they look like they could be cleaned

IF I find any capacitors that are obviously in need of changing what brand of capacitor would you recommend for these type of TVs or if anyone else has got suggestion

for the sake of ease I'll post the information again

Panasonic th-42pz700u

Thanks for the compliment, buddy. That's pretty cool to read. :)

Yes, I remember. I actually have one of those in my storage unit, believe it or not. Same model. In fact its in the bottom left of that picture right above. That thing is AMAZING. The colors are absolutely out of this world. I saw the fans up top and I was like oh my GOD. @SS_Dave was right. I have a space heater in my room. 500 watts, yeah? I replaced it with my LG 50PM6700 3D plasma. I think the colors on the Panny are a bit better, honestly, but I just HAAAD to have my 3D. 😛

The brand of caps I use when recapping is Nichicon and Rubycon. Nichicon seems to be the best from my research. The recap process is tedious, but worth it to prevent cascading failures. Those things (plasmas) have a tendency to die, mostly from all the damn high voltage that's going around in there. That kills caps like crazy. But I assume you know how to desolder them, write down their position and values and order from Digikey, yes?

I'm actually recapping another Samsung Slimfit CRT, this one's got 2 components, 2 s-videos, 2 HDMI ports. It's a beast... and it has 43 capacitors. Jesus it's gonna take like 4 hours to solder those all in.

PXL-20240115-192026735.jpg
PXL-20240115-192035425.jpg
PXL-20240115-192243740.jpg
PXL-20240115-192308677.jpg

• Thanks 1

rock on thanks for the mention of the brands.. yes it's definitely a time-consuming thing sometimes I am not a pro by any means but I can get through it generally without tearing things up.. 

haha the part I always dread is taking it apart and especially when it's large heavy and complicated my fear is always breaking something during disassembly or reassembly

I've always had pretty good luck but the dread of breaking it rides on the shoulders pretty hard..

my tactic if I can and is permitted I like to look at everything that I need to replace order it then take it out one at a time and replace it.. I have a horrible habit of forgetting what goes where otherwise yes I document with pictures and noting it down so that I don't lose track of where everything goes

I would have to definitely agree about the heat output on that thing... it is tremendous of course the wife likes the heat output she prefers everything to be warmer so for her it's like a heater for the game room

anyway I appreciate the information and I always appreciate the pictures it's really cool to see what other people got and how they have their setup pretty neat thanks for sharing

2 hours ago, Tartarus said:

rock on thanks for the mention of the brands.. yes it's definitely a time-consuming thing sometimes I am not a pro by any means but I can get through it generally without tearing things up.. 

haha the part I always dread is taking it apart and especially when it's large heavy and complicated my fear is always breaking something during disassembly or reassembly

I've always had pretty good luck but the dread of breaking it rides on the shoulders pretty hard..

my tactic if I can and is permitted I like to look at everything that I need to replace order it then take it out one at a time and replace it.. I have a horrible habit of forgetting what goes where otherwise yes I document with pictures and noting it down so that I don't lose track of where everything goes

I would have to definitely agree about the heat output on that thing... it is tremendous of course the wife likes the heat output she prefers everything to be warmer so for her it's like a heater for the game room

anyway I appreciate the information and I always appreciate the pictures it's really cool to see what other people got and how they have their setup pretty neat thanks for sharing

When you talk about what goes where, are you taking about cables or caps? The caps are labeled on the PCB, so you just gotta write it down and then the value of the capacitor. But if you're talking about all the boards and cables, that plasma is pretty straightforward, really. 

yeah when it comes to the capacitors I just do one at a time and yes I have seen print on the PCB

I would also have to say that my experience with TVs in general is very slim however I have a good idea of what is in them especially old CRT I have messed with those a little bit as for plasma TVs I have no experience

if there's anything in there that is high power I will recognize it obviously I will understand the capacitors beyond that no

please do not be concerned I am no fool I don't go poking where I don't know and I do thoroughly look

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tartarus said:

yeah when it comes to the capacitors I just do one at a time and yes I have seen print on the PCB

I would also have to say that my experience with TVs in general is very slim however I have a good idea of what is in them especially old CRT I have messed with those a little bit as for plasma TVs I have no experience

if there's anything in there that is high power I will recognize it obviously I will understand the capacitors beyond that no

please do not be concerned I am no fool I don't go poking where I don't know and I do thoroughly look

I have no doubt you are capable! :)

Yeah, Plasmas are kinda fresh for me too. I know the basics of how they work and what every board is for, etc, but I have yet to learn as much about them as I have about CRTs. The caps in there ARE pretty high voltage, but since late consumer CRTs had bleed circuits for discharging the caps upon power-off, I wouldn't worry too much. I just use latex gloves and I'm not worried. 

• Thanks 1

@Tartarus

Oh! I have a new project! :) A PVM 1351Q. 450 TVL lines.

PXL-20240121-192936384.jpg

The image is blurry, which I was able to remedy a bit with the Focus pot, but it really comes down to poor convergence which is apparent in the red with the naked eye down in the bottom left corner, but is really all over the screen. The tube is also kinda dim, and turning up the brightness just makes it washed out and raises the "black floor". Contrast is maxed. I think the cathodes are on their way out. I may try to source a new tube. Or it may just be how it's supposed to be? I swear my 8" is brighter.

This thing HAS to have like, 100 caps at least. It's A LOT. I have a LOT of work ahead of me... I am scurred. 😛

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tartarus said:

I figured the pvm would be quite a task to deal with

I don't think I would ever take on a pvm you're much braver Soul than myself 😂

In the meantime at least:

PXL-20240122-193342389.jpg

The caps for the slimfit are in from Digikey.

... It's on like Donkey Kong... 64... again. :) That'll be the first thing I run on it, actually! RGB to Component cables.

11 hours ago, Tartarus said:

Nice! be interesting to see the outcome

I wish I had taken a before photo of the display. It was BAD. pincushioning and the image basically sucking in from the edges. Both dimensions of deflection were dying. But I will take DSLR pics of of the screen when running. :) Should be later tonight.

Edit: looks like 2 capacitors did not ship until today, so I will not be able to finish until they arrive, probably in 5 days.

Edit2: tomorrow. :) not 5 days!

• Thanks 1