OGXbox.com

Consumer CRT/modern flat-screen/ PVM?

Tartarus

PVM 1271Q and a JVC LT-32JM30

I run the Xbox on the JVC in component

As for the Sony I only literally seen it run one time and it looked really good he was demonstrating it when I bought it which I did acquire it very cheap the history on it was he bought it from a guy was gaming on it as well and the reason why both of them sold it is because they upgraded

I just been using the JVC I've been running it in the component and as far as I know it's decent.. I made the upgrade to component cables and it seemed to clear up and be a lot more sharper but I don't have a lot of experience to say this was quite the Boost.

the JVC I literally got that thing for free so I am not going to complain.

I know neither one of them are anything to write home about but I am looking at upgrading.. I'm very interested in finding something that I can run with the original Xbox no hardmod just utilizing a cable as I have 2 other Xboxes I'm going to hardmod as for the one I'm going to leave as is I'm going to use component what kind of monitor or TV would you guys recommend I'll have a budget of about 400 to 500

I know some of you guys are going to say well use your pvm or stick with the JVC but i would like something better quality (JVC) a little bit bigger (PVM).

Edited by Tartarus

37 minutes ago, Tartarus said:

PVM 1271Q and a JVC LT-32JM30

I run the Xbox on the JVC in component

As for the Sony I only literally seen it run one time and it looked really good he was demonstrating it when I bought it which I did acquire it very cheap the history on it was he bought it from a guy was gaming on it as well and the reason why both of them sold it is because they upgraded

I just been using the JVC I've been running it in the component and as far as I know it's decent.. I made the upgrade to component cables and it seemed to clear up and be a lot more sharper but I don't have a lot of experience to say this was quite the Boost.

the JVC I literally got that thing for free so I am not going to complain.

I know neither one of them are anything to write home about but I am looking at upgrading.. I'm very interested in finding something that I can run with the original Xbox no hardmod just utilizing a cable as I have 2 other Xboxes I'm going to hardmod as for the one I'm going to leave as is I'm going to use component what kind of monitor or TV would you guys recommend I'll have a budget of about 400 to 500

I know some of you guys are going to say well use your pvm or stick with the JVC but i would like something better quality (JVC) a little bit bigger (PVM).

Retro Tech and Supraguy made videos about that PVM. It's one of the oldest ones.

To get a bigger monitor on par with the accuracy of a PVM, I would go with a BVM. Broadcast variant. They tend to be larger. However, I have no problem recommending the JVC CRT that I'm using. The colors are rich, the geometry is spot on and I'm in love with it. Thankfully I only paid 50, but it was a favor and they go for at least a couple hundred when available. Here's the 32 inch version of my JVC:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195708034472

The av-xx320 series. I promise you can't go wrong. Or any "d-series" JVC along those lines. But nothing will match a PVM or BVM. They're in their own category.

The JVC you mentioned relating to quality is a flat panel. Try their CRTs. You won't be disappointed. However if you want a better LCD, I recommend my PlayStation 3d display. The colors on it are VERY crisp and accurate and it's a clean image without a matte covering. Makes it reflective, for sure, but that can be dealt with. It's 24 inches, so you'd have to be okay with that. For widescreen and HDMI, I would try a 1080p plasma display. Plasma has the color and response characteristics of a CRT (damn accurate) and I'm wanting to try that with a widescreen HDMI Xbox station when I get around to it.

Just some ideas. I'm not an expert. :)

Edited by Bowlsnapper

Too long to edit my last post, but I would definitely start using that PVM. Use RGB with a separate Xbox and set everything on that console to 480i. Your dash, the MS Dash, all software including emulators, etc. No gaps ( i.e. no resolution or Aspect Ratio changes in between the stuff that's set to run in 480i). It will look SICK. I would just clone your HD and then do the cheapest hardware mod you can find. I use the 70 dollar monster cables, but I'm sure you could get by with the stock ones fine. I'm trying to research how to hook up to BNC, and it might be just as simple as using RCA to BNC adapter tips, but I'm not a hundred percent on that.

Edit: looks like you need component to SCART. That'll give you the proper signal through BNC.

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/comp2rgb

And a SCART cable, of course.

Edit 2: looks like there's already a SCART cable for the og xbox. Maybe a way to mate both cables and end up with the BNC cables? I'm lost on this one...

Edited by Bowlsnapper

@Bowlsnapper sync is a different beast. Was looking into it a bit as I started to consider buying a computer monitor that has RGBHV bnc as input option. At least it has the connections, off course spec sheets of the 20 year old monitor ar nowhere near to be found, so it might just support component directly.

First try to figure out what input the monitor accepts: YPrPb, RGsB, RGBs, RGBHV, s-video. Some of the PVM offer expansion  slots, so maybe it’s easier to find the right card for it to use component. Other option could be to go VGA route since XBOX does support it with the right bios. VGA should be the same as RGBHV from what I understand only difference is the connector.

Anyway I’m glad I bought myself a retrotink5x, looking on how it’s not so straightforward to connect stuff to CRT that isn’t composite :D. At least in Europe component and HD-CRT wasn’t a thing. I would reconsider if I could my hands on this beast. Luckily I still have both kidneys, so I can miss 1 to fund it :D

7 hours ago, coldasijs said:

@Bowlsnapper sync is a different beast. Was looking into it a bit as I started to consider buying a computer monitor that has RGBHV bnc as input option. At least it has the connections, off course spec sheets of the 20 year old monitor ar nowhere near to be found, so it might just support component directly.

First try to figure out what input the monitor accepts: YPrPb, RGsB, RGBs, RGBHV, s-video. Some of the PVM offer expansion  slots, so maybe it’s easier to find the right card for it to use component. Other option could be to go VGA route since XBOX does support it with the right bios. VGA should be the same as RGBHV from what I understand only difference is the connector.

Anyway I’m glad I bought myself a retrotink5x, looking on how it’s not so straightforward to connect stuff to CRT that isn’t composite :D. At least in Europe component and HD-CRT wasn’t a thing. I would reconsider if I could my hands on this beast. Luckily I still have both kidneys, so I can miss 1 to fund it :D

GOD I want that fw900. That thing is godlike. It's too bad it's always 4000 fucking dollars.

I actually have the Neoya VGA adapter featured here:

https://consolevariations.com/variation/accessory/neoya-x2vga-xbox-vga-adapter

And VGA looks so amazing... Even at 640x480, it looks immaculate and the scan lines are dope. Still waiting to pick up an objectively kickass VGA monitor though. All I have are cheapies!

Which RGBHV monitor were you considering?

On 5/15/2023 at 12:22 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

Previously, I was using a Sony PlayStation 3d Display and was utilizing a Pound HDMI adapter. So I was using an LCD beforehand. Man that thing kicks ass. Lol.

Its an OLED so the colours POP lol I love the way my NES looks on it thru RGB and an OSSC. Super crisp pixels, it blows me away every time I fire it up lol 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Its an OLED so the colours POP lol I love the way my NES looks on it thru RGB and an OSSC. Super crisp pixels, it blows me away every time I fire it up lol 

Yes, OLEDs do pop pretty well. They are pretty precise and nice looking, but I prefer the look of a CRT or plasma. It just looks beautiful. :)

... But NES on an OLED?! Blasphemy. :P

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

GOD I want that fw900. That thing is godlike. It's too bad it's always 4000 fucking dollars.

I actually have the Neoya VGA adapter featured here:

https://consolevariations.com/variation/accessory/neoya-x2vga-xbox-vga-adapter

And VGA looks so amazing... Even at 640x480, it looks immaculate and the scan lines are dope. Still waiting to pick up an objectively kickass VGA monitor though. All I have are cheapies!

Which RGBHV monitor were you considering?

I was looking at a Dell ultrascan 1600HS the other day. It has RGB input. But after looking at the specs I realized it is not the one stop shop solution for my retro gaming stuff. It goes to 1600x1200, but doesn't go below 1024x768. So a no go for my Sega MD. Today I also started to look at a PVM again, there is a nice sony up for sale on the other side of the country :D. But with to many unfinished projects lying around I don't want to take yet another a long. Not to mention that the boss would probably start to complain I picked up another peace of junk :D

I have the feeling that CRT also looks much better than modern screens is because the screens are just much smaller. Details smooth out given you the feeling there is more detail then in reality. And yes scanlines help, but tbh my retrothink has killer scanlines

8 hours ago, coldasijs said:

I was looking at a Dell ultrascan 1600HS the other day. It has RGB input. But after looking at the specs I realized it is not the one stop shop solution for my retro gaming stuff. It goes to 1600x1200, but doesn't go below 1024x768. So a no go for my Sega MD. Today I also started to look at a PVM again, there is a nice sony up for sale on the other side of the country :D. But with to many unfinished projects lying around I don't want to take yet another a long. Not to mention that the boss would probably start to complain I picked up another peace of junk :D

I have the feeling that CRT also looks much better than modern screens is because the screens are just much smaller. Details smooth out given you the feeling there is more detail then in reality. And yes scanlines help, but tbh my retrothink has killer scanlines

I love Dells like that. You're right; it only goes so low as far as resolution. But I wouldn't call any ONE monitor the end all be all and jack of all trades anyway. It's probably gonna be a mix. For the Xbox, when I want to use a VGA monitor, I use a ViewSonic Q71, as featured in the LGR video. I had to crank up the brightness on the flyback just a tad (which hints at spent electrodes), and it definitely could use a recap. But Halo CE looks so beautiful on that thing... It looks like the PC version! Even low resolutions look good on a PC CRT. 

Yes, part of the reason that PC monitors look so sharp is the pixel density and the fact that such resolutions are being packed into such a relatively small space. That's why I don't mind small displays at all. Same goes for PVMs and any other 12 or 13" TV. That density goes a long way, especially if you really don't need the size.

I would like to commission somebody to build me an output splitter with a mechanical switch, so I can switch between my CRT TV and VGA monitor. :) That would be mighty convenient...

• Like 1

@Bowlsnapper going for a 1 CRT to rule them all solution is more practically driven. I could buy multiple, I have the storage space if needed. But I don’t want to haul around CRT’s all the time depending on the console I want to play. I already have a solution that works awesome, but it’s just a tad under crt quality. Also not to mention the fact that I don’t want to play my sega megadrive @pal speed when used to ntsc.

I might just pick up a pvm, it suits the need for 240p gaming and it might look good enough for the good old xbox

• Like 1

20 hours ago, coldasijs said:

@Bowlsnapper going for a 1 CRT to rule them all solution is more practically driven. I could buy multiple, I have the storage space if needed. But I don’t want to haul around CRT’s all the time depending on the console I want to play. I already have a solution that works awesome, but it’s just a tad under crt quality. Also not to mention the fact that I don’t want to play my sega megadrive @pal speed when used to ntsc.

I might just pick up a pvm, it suits the need for 240p gaming and it might look good enough for the good old xbox

I understand. I'm a less practical person, by nature, and I have no issue sifting through piles of bullshit because I want just the right equipment. But I understand that I'm the exception to the rule on things like that. :P I also hear you on the speedups and slowdowns when it comes to NTSC/PAL. Sooo annoying...

I would say that a PVM would suit your needs perfectly, I agree. Plus, you get the benefit of some killer-ass scan lines, as it IS a PVM after all. I don't think you'll get them as clearly with the VGA monitor. :) So go for it dude. It's money, but it's also high quality. You think you can deal with a 13 incher, or would you want something larger, like a 20? I would get a 20 if you're going to be using it for multiple machines...

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer CRT displays over LCD due to the better colors/contrast levels, motion clarity, and just plain old nostalgia.

My main one is a Samsung TX-R2779WH (or at least something almost identical) which I use both for my OGXbox and Wii via a radioshack RGB/YPbPr cable, alongside modern HD video using one of my computers HDMI outputs.

I also have a Samsung TXR2435 which is so far the best looking CRT I've owned, and mostly used for older consoles (N64 and below.)

Edited by ka5ug4
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 8:53 AM, ka5ug4 said:

I prefer CRT displays over LCD due to the better colors/contrast levels, motion clarity, and just plain old nostalgia.

My main one is a Samsung TX-R2779WH (or at least something almost identical) which I use both for my OGXbox and Wii via a radioshack RGB/YPbPr cable, alongside modern HD video using one of my computers HDMI outputs.

I also have a Samsung TXR2435 which is so far the best looking CRT I've owned, and mostly used for older consoles (N64 and below.)

My current CRT setup.

PXL_20230614_070116741.jpg

• Thanks 2

Why? Because I can!

N64 has an everdrive x7 with 150 to 200 games, including 1000 NES games. X3 console has an origins drive without the crap UI and xbmc install instead, pulled from the ogxbox installer, of course :). X3 console has Cerbios UDMA 6 overclocked to 771mhz. Halo console is just UDMA 2 with a 160gb HDD with some choice games on it. Old drive from my x3 console before the 2tb Origins upgrade. Samsung is a Slimfit and JVC is an AV series 27 inch with the console at 480i through Monster cables. Thing kicks ass. 

... Middle one is some Daewoo I found at a yard sale for 5 bucks. N64 is hooked up through RF because it's all there is for inputs. Still looks good:)

I'm going to try to find out if the Daewoo has a chip that will allow it to be RGB modded. I'll have to do some research.

PXL_20230614_070203411.jpg

• Thanks 2

This Daewoo is actually pretty good for RF... I'm afraid to open it because I have daymares about cracking the tube from stressing it or just breaking it somehow. I configured it in the menu and the colors and everything are not bad. Red convergence is slightly fucked but I attribute that to RF interference. I'm gonna get a remote and see if I can get the service menu. I doubt it though. It's a cheap ass Daewoo. Lol

Pics don't do it justice, btw.

PXL_20230617_053839832.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 7:58 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

This Daewoo is actually pretty good for RF... I'm afraid to open it because I have daymares about cracking the tube from stressing it or just breaking it somehow. I configured it in the menu and the colors and everything are not bad. Red convergence is slightly fucked but I attribute that to RF interference. I'm gonna get a remote and see if I can get the service menu. I doubt it though. It's a cheap ass Daewoo. Lol

Pics don't do it justice, btw.

PXL_20230617_053839832.jpg

I would be more afraid of the high currents you can experience on CRTs if not properly discharged :D

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, coldasijs said:

I would be more afraid of the high currents you can experience on CRTs if not properly discharged :D

Lol, DAMN you, Cold. I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not.

This is a common warning to those even somewhat inexperienced with working on CRTs. It stores and utilizes high voltages. It is not an LCD: Noted. I know... It's BETTER :)

All you really have to do to discharge a CRT without a "hot" chassis is to ground the anode. After that, you're pretty much good, you just have to be careful of the power supply caps. Use protective gear if you want an extra layer of safety. No big deal.  :)

6 hours ago, coldasijs said:

It wasn't sarcasm this time :D. I know dicharging can be done, but you have to do it correctly otherwise it is really dangerous that's all. Not sure how big the risk is of cracking the tube as I have no experience repairing CRTs

Just alligator clip a flathead screwdriver to the chassis for grounding and slide it under the anode plunger and just tap the anode. Bam. Done... Or CRACK! Is the sound it makes. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...