OGXbox.com

Replacement of Stock Fan

Viggen66

Dear All,

As you know, the stock fan of original Xbox is quite loud, and given the age about 15 to 16 years I decided to upgrade/replace the fan, read some forums and some suggest the Nexus 70mm Real Silence fan, which has an airflow of 21.1 CFM, but since I'm from Europe this fan is not available almost in no place, owing probably to being an older fan design, looked for alternatives, and some suggested a Noctua 80mm which we need to butch the HDD plastic bay to fit on the box, but there's also a 60mm model, which fits excellently which is NF-A6x25 FLX. that address an airflow of 29,2 CFM which is better than the first solution Nexus 70 mm.

Alright connected the fan with the 4 anti vibration rubbers and this is the final result.

Still haven't replace the thermal paste, that's going to be my next project, really now I have a quiet XBOX on my hands

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Nice. [emoji106] I have Xbox v1.0 and I recently repleced his stock GPU heatsink with fan on it with passive one from latter Xbox revisions. I also replace the thermal paste (actually thermal pads) with Arctic MX- 4. Now the console is a lot quiter, but still not as quite as I would like to be, and the reason is stock 80mm fan on the back. I'm glad to see that there is no need to cut plastic of the HDD bay, because I don't want to cut anything on my beloved console. :) Can you tell me/us what temps do you have now in idle, and after leaving the game?

Sent from Honor 9

Really on the temps I flash the bios to use 40% of the fan and still very quiet, on the temps never gets over 55 normal would be between 40 to 52 C, which is excellent

Nikeymikey,

Noctua fans are available on every IT shop, just look at one near you.

For the installation I recommend putting first the bottom rubbers pads, and push them slightly, the ones on the top are very easy to fit.

Just be careful on removing the stock fan, to not to break the plastic plugs underneath

Edited by Viggen66

I purchased a 70mm AVC fan with a higher CFM  around 45.7 and 5400 rpm, in a local digital store, to test it on my xbox, after installation, I turn on my xbox and it sounds like a mini jet engine. after playing games around 2h, I returned to the xbmc, and I am surprised :o because the CPU temperature is 19 ° C and the GPU is 18 ° C ,and the fan runs only at 50%.

Cuv3ACi.jpg

Edited by Sifaw99
  • Like 1

On 13/02/2019 at 11:40 AM, Viggen66 said:

Alright, to replace for that particular fan I would rather leave the stock one, since both reassemble jet engines, the xbox running on 40 to 55 is normal and does not harm or damage anything, choose one that suits you best.

I installed in my xbox a silence fan mastercooler 70mm with 31.5 cfm and 10.5 dbs.

I do that for fun and see what a fan with higher cfm can do.:). its not like xbox stock fan, its reassemble like real jet engine, the AVC fan that a purchased is hydrulic bearing so the noise isn't the same of the stock one.

After i tested to run it at full speed, the temperature goes down, the CPU got 9 C and GPU got 10 C.

• 3 weeks later...

Just did exactly that on the X3 bios settings, temps are starting to come down. While i was relacing the fan i thought id replace the fan on the gpu too (its a v1.0) I had a spare 40mm fan laying around unused, it fit perfectly and sits in place nicely without the screws. Its a Fractal Design Silent Series 3...

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TYN3HOA?tag=amz-mkt-chr-uk-21&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-s1060-win10-other-smile-uk000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp

@Viggen66

EDIT: Temp seems to be stable at 62C hmmm strange. I take it the plug for the fan only fits on one way??? Prob a stupid question lol

Ill run it for tonight and see what happens, the room is quite hot at the mo so it could just be that forcing the temp up a bit. I might try the molex adapter that cam with the fan plug it into the hard drive power and see what temps that brings.....

Edited by nikeymikey

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, nikeymikey said:

Anyone got any suggestions other than put the stock fan back??

The stock fan and the old thermal compound were doing "fine" but I decided to replace the fan with an 80mm Noctua and I replaced the thermal compound.  I started to panic when the temp in UnleashX started to climb to 60 deg C.  I quickly went into the dashboard settings and changed the fan to 5x speed.  The temp quickly lowered.  I rebooted and went into the X3 chip settings.  The fan was set to about 10% in there so I bumped it up to about 60 or 70%.  The Noctua is quiet enough for me at that setting and the CPU temp stays at 52 deg C in UnleashX now.

There should be a setting in XBMC to set the fan speed higher but I assume that once you launch a game the fan speed will reduce if the speed isn't set in the BIOS.

(Also, just in case, ensure that the fan is mounted to push the hot air out of the XBox.)

Edited by TEK Nemesis

On 2/12/2019 at 6:10 AM, Viggen66 said:

Just be careful on removing the stock fan, to not to break the plastic plugs underneath

I had to trim them down when using the 80mm Noctua.  I tried my best to not do it but the fan housing was just too big.  I'm never going to put a stock fan back into this box so it isn't a concern for me.

What about the plastics of the HDD did you butched them or only the fan?
I had to trim them down when using the 80mm Noctua.  I tried my best to not do it but the fan housing was just too big.  I'm never going to put a stock fan back into this box so it isn't a concern for me.
Did you butched the plastics of the HDD or only the fan? Which model of 80 mm you used? Always opened to suggestions

12 hours ago, Viggen66 said:

Did you butched the plastics of the HDD or only the fan? Which model of 80 mm you used? Always opened to suggestions

Noctua NF-A8 PWM, 4-Pin Premium Quiet fan (80mm brown).  It will require cutting the bottom corners of fan, the two original fan holder clips, and the plastic HDD housing.  Trust me, cutting the plastic HDD housing is a normal activity and it looks totally fine after you do it.  There's no need to ever return to the original XBox fan.  We are not modding a '57 Chevrolet here.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

On my second Xbox I'm going to do the same, already ordered another Noctua 60, really fast replacement, tried yesterday using the stock fan from MS, I simply can't handle the jet engine soaring, I set my Noctua on 45% for me is the balance between cooling performance and comfortable audible gaming.

Butching the case and a fan, it helped if MS decided to put a standard fan size on this console, I compare side to side the 60 to the 73 mm of the stock fan, and the blades are almost the same size, why complicate what is easy?