OGXbox.com

Aladdin XT flashing with Xblast

Johny white

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

You can flash a chip using the Xbox version of Linux? Or I guess it would be more of a specific purpose build, No GUI?

Yes, there are bootable Xbox Linux discs created to perform one function - flash a BIOS file.  No GUI. They autorun a shell script to perform a set list of operations. It uses the Linux application raincoat, a BIOS flashing program, to flash the file bios.bin to the modchip/TSOP. 

When you boot the disc, you see all the Linux startup lines scroll by then after a short time, the DVD tray ejects waiting for the user to load a BIOS disc.  It waits a minute then closes the tray to read the disc.  If the file bios.bin is found on it, raincoat flashes the file  to the modchip/TSOP.  I believe it then ejects the tray for the user to remove the disc, waits a minute, closes the tray then powers off the console.

Edit: I believe raincoat is included with other Xbox Linux distros that have a GUI and you can flash a different BIOS to your TSOP or modchip too.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Have you tried to use Gentoox Loader or XBlast OS to reflash the rebadged SST49LF002A part?

Edit: Wait, XBlast OS not being able to reflash the modchip is the whole reason why this thread was started.

P.S. I wonder if some of the Linux-based flashing discs can reflash it (e.g., eurasia_pro_generic_flash_disc_1_3)?

It uses a program named raincoat to flash a BIOS to the modchip/TSOP.

I'll take a look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/20/2022 at 5:34 PM, Johny white said:

Thanks for your help with this so far @KaosEngineer. I got that Nano USB flasher today and tried to write the crcwell.bin to a SST49LF080A chip but the xbox frags and tries to boot 3 times then stays on after the 3rd boot but nothing happens. My guess is that I've written a 256 bin file to a 1mb bios and the xbox is not access the right address for it to boot?

I flashed the crcwell.bin to the SST49LF002A clone chip that came with the Aladdin XT and this booted Xblast OS successfully, again my guess is becuase the SST49LF002A is only a 256kb chip?

Any idea how to get the crcwell.bin or any other 256 bios to work with the SST49LF080A or is there way to put more than one bios on it? Reading more on this, I may also need to reprogram the CPLD on the Aladdin XT to handle 1mb bios

The correct way to flash the SST49LF080A with the 256k xblast bin is to first offset it to C0000 then flash

On 5/20/2022 at 4:34 PM, Johny white said:

Thanks for your help with this so far @KaosEngineer. I got that Nano USB flasher today and tried to write the crcwell.bin to a SST49LF080A chip but the xbox frags and tries to boot 3 times then stays on after the 3rd boot but nothing happens. My guess is that I've written a 256 bin file to a 1mb bios and the xbox is not access the right address for it to boot?

I flashed the crcwell.bin to the SST49LF002A clone chip that came with the Aladdin XT and this booted Xblast OS successfully, again my guess is becuase the SST49LF002A is only a 256kb chip?

Any idea how to get the crcwell.bin or any other 256 bios to work with the SST49LF080A or is there way to put more than one bios on it? Reading more on this, I may also need to reprogram the CPLD on the Aladdin XT to handle 1mb bios

I believe you are correct.  To use the SST49LF080A, you will need to reprogram the CPLD chip on the Aladdin to work with a 1MB flash memory chip. 

However, I've not tried simply swapping out the 256KB SST49LF020A - what it should be instead of the current units being sold with a relabeled SST49LF002A flash memory chip) - with an SST49LF080A.

@psyko_chewbaccahas several different CPLD mods available for the Aladdin XT modchip.  Reprogram the Lattice LC4032V CPLD on the modchip with a JTAG programmer (not the Nano USB flash programmer :( ).

https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/aladdin_xt_cpld/src/master/

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 4:34 PM, Johny white said:

Create a 1MB version of the BIOS's 256KB dot bin file - crcwell_1MB.bin.  At a cmd.exe prompt, cd to the directory where the 256KB crcwell.bin file is located.  Now, type in the following command:

• copy /b crcwell.bin + crcwell.bin + crcwell.bin + crcwell.bin crcwell_1MB.bin

Flash tne new crcwell_1MB.bin file to the SST49LF080A.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, clueless said:

Has anyone had any sucess with programming the lattice chip with one of these?  https://github.com/mrjimenez/JTAG

I'm trying to do things on a shoe string budget, and I already have a number of arduino's around.  so if it's possible, then that would be awesome!

I've not used that particular JTAG setup; however, from the description, it should work. 

CAUTION: The main thing remember is the difference of voltage levels between input and output pins of Arduino (5Vdc) and Lattice CPLD (3.3Vdc). You MUST have the  resistors present to create voltage dividers (level-shifters/translators) mentioned in the JTAG repository's README.md file or 5Vdc to 3.3Vdc level-shifters/translators connected between signals that are 5Vdc logic level outputs of the Arduino to the 3.3Vdc logic-level JTAG input pins of the Lattice LC4032V CPLD.   From their desciption, the 3.3Vdc outputs of the CPLD on the modchip can be connected to the Arduino input pins without needing a level-shifter/translator but a series resistor is needed to dampen reflections during data transfers.

Note: If your Arduino operates on 3.3Vdc there's no such problem. Level-shifters are not required.

For more information to convert an Arduino to run from 3.3Vdc, read the following article:

• 7 months later...

Hi KaosEngineer, and everyone:)

I wanted to flash a SST49LF080A*PLCC32 bios chip. I’m using GQ4x4 with ADP-005 adapter. But I keep getting ID check failed, and device is showing empty. I know the device isn’t empty. So, I’m assuming my adapter pin outs are not correct. Do you by any chance know the correct pin outs to flash the above bios chip so I can modify my ADP-005 (PLCC32-> DIP 32) adapter?

I tried looking online for this info, but hit a brick.

Thank you very much for your help.

56 minutes ago, Mark7830 said:

Hi KaosEngineer, and everyone:)

I wanted to flash a SST49LF080A*PLCC32 bios chip. I’m using GQ4x4 with ADP-005 adapter. But I keep getting ID check failed, and device is showing empty. I know the device isn’t empty. So, I’m assuming my adapter pin outs are not correct. Do you by any chance know the correct pin outs to flash the above bios chip so I can modify my ADP-005 (PLCC32-> DIP 32) adapter?

I tried looking online for this info, but hit a brick.

Thank you very much for your help.

Here's the pinout of the SST49LF080A flash memory chip.  902451831_SST49LF00xA32-leadPLCCPinAssignments.png.5cf6ea670d5de9bf3c232dfe8287f6bb.png

Use a multimeter to test for continuity from each pin to the same numbered DIP pin on the bottom of the ADP-005 adapter.

32-pin DIP package pin numbers.gif

Thank you for replying.

I just checked all the pin outs with a multimeter, pin 1 through 32 all correspond correctly from the SST chip to the DIP 32, from the diagram above. 

I looked up on the GQ website and I see they have an adapter requirement for this particular SST chip. They say to use:

ADP-030, ADP-057 FWH/LPC+

Apparently these adapters have special pin outs that are shorts somewhere, and that’s how it’s possible to read and write the chip. Do you by any chance have have the pin out for the above adapters? I could just modify my ADP-005 with some lines and see if that works.

Again, thank you for your help.

297FAD14-5A71-43F7-BCEB-5531090CDFA8.png

There's no easy conversion. Look at the MCUmall Electronics Inc. - ADP-030 adapter.

Edit: I suspect that the programmer's power supply level to the chip, Vdd, is 5Vdc, not 3.3Vdc that the SST49LF080A chip requires.

Your SST49LF080A may be dead from supplying the wrong voltage level to it.

They don't give details of the circuitry on the adapter.

Damn, but ty. I can measure the voltage on the programmer, but if you’re right about VCC being 5 VDC, then I just fried 2 of these chips😭

On the forum I saw you guys were using a different programmer to flash these chips. Do I need special adapters for that programmer as well? 

12 hours ago, Mark7830 said:

On the forum I saw you guys were using a different programmer to flash these chips. Do I need special adapters for that programmer as well? 

The Nano USB Programmer listed on eBay does not require a special adapter.  It is made to program LPC flash memory chips.

NANO USB Programmer for PC M/B BIOS repairing with Economic shipping. | eBay

6 hours ago, Mark7830 said:

I looked up online and I found a programmer called MiniPro and another XGecu T56 that seem to support the chips, and don’t seem to require adapters🙄. Are you familiar with these? Would I need an adapter board for those? 

The XGecu T56 does require an adapter - PLCC32 socket to DIP32.  Your ADP-005 should work but I don't have either of these items to know if they will work together.

Edit: Oh, the MiniPro TL866 and other models look like clones of XGecu's programmers.  So, they too require a PLCC32 to DIP32 adapter. 

Edit2: Is MiniPro a different brand or just part of the name for XGecu's programmer?

The TL866 and TL866ii plus are older releases of their programmers.   T48 and T56 are their latest programmers.

See: http://autoelectric.cn/EN/TL866_main.html

Thank you Kaos!

I suspect a dedicated BIOS reader from South Korea will be 10x better read write quality than anything I can get from China. Ordered.

———

10 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Your ADP-005 should work but I don't have either of these items to know if they will work together.

Before connecting anything I’ll see if I can dig up some diagrams of each programmer to see they match the ADP-005

10 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Is MiniPro a different brand or just part of the name for XGecu's programmer?

I’m pretty sure it’s XGecu clone. It’s a TL866CS Programmer. Found it on Amazon. https://a.co/d/7K2Pd8A

I had another question.

I’m also trying to flash/clone the following 32 PLCC MX chip:

MX29LV040CQC-70G

IMG_3772.heic

I couldn’t find the chip anywhere, been discounted. Instead I found a replacment from digikey:

SST39SF040-55-4I-NHE-TCT-ND

After seeing the troubles I’ve had with the SST chip, what’s the best way to verify these 2 above chips they have the same pin outs or close enough that I can clone one to the other successfully? Or am I just wishful thinking.

I ended up comparing the spec sheet of both chips. They aren’t even in the same Voltage category lol. I guess I won’t be using them. Found some used ones on eBay, will order them.

and.. surprisingly both the BIOS chips worked. The ones I thought I burned without proper adapter. I ended up using the MiniPro (although had many read and write failures) annd eventually was able to rework them into the mobo and they booted up alright.

Thank you for all your help Kaos. You’re a badass.

23 hours ago, Mark7830 said:

I couldn’t find the chip anywhere, been discounted. Instead I found a replacment from digikey:

SST39SF040-55-4I-NHE-TCT-ND

After seeing the troubles I’ve had with the SST chip, what’s the best way to verify these 2 above chips they have the same pin outs or close enough that I can clone one to the other successfully? Or am I just wishful thinking.

SST39SF040 | Microchip Technology

Not discontinued.

It is a parallel program flash memory chip, not an LPC (low pin count) interface device as the SST49LFxxx series are.

Thank you Kaos.

On these mobos I spend a lot of time reworking the chips, burning them and then re-soldering them back on the mobo. 

When flashing BIOS chips, is there a way to burn .BIN files on a bootable USB or CD to load a dual BIOS mobo?

I was thinking to take the .BIN contents from these chips and adding them to an exe BIOS that was previously created for the system, and just change the content of the write to the BIOS. Is that possible?

4 minutes ago, Mark7830 said:

Thank you Kaos.

On these mobos I spend a lot of time reworking the chips, burning them and then re-soldering them back on the mobo. 

When flashing BIOS chips, is there a way to burn .BIN files on a bootable USB or CD to load a dual BIOS mobo?

I was thinking to take the .BIN contents from these chips and adding them to an exe BIOS that was previously created for the system, and just change the content of the write to the BIOS. Is that possible?

I have no idea.  I believe some BIOS flashing software includes a checksum test to make sure that the BIOS in the executable is not corrupt. You would have to know how the program works and change that value to match the BIOS data you replace inside of the executable.