Fredrito

Fix a Bricked XBox Hdd Using a Hardmodded Xbox?

I recently tried to softmod my old xbox and bricked the hdd due to not ejecting the game disc in the end of the installation process. Now the dashboard is gone and I can't even boot retail games using the machine.

I just bought an xbox with a modchip (xecuter 2) and I'm wondering if I could swap the hdd in the modded xbox with the bricked xbox and install the ms dashboard from a disc.

1 hour ago, Fredrito said:

I recently tried to softmod my old xbox and bricked the hdd due to not ejecting the game disc in the end of the installation process. Now the dashboard is gone and I can't even boot retail games using the machine.

I just bought an xbox with a modchip (xecuter 2) and I'm wondering if I could swap the hdd in the modded xbox with the bricked xbox and install the ms dashboard from a disc.

The short answer is no.

I could be sorted with a hot swap to a PC and some software on the computer but in my view it's quicker to fit a modchip and use a install dsk to setup the new hard drive..

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, Fredrito said:

You will need the hdd key from the softmodded box to unlock the hdd, you can get this by using an eeprom reader. Once you have the hdd key you can fix the softmod using xboxhdm or just chip it.

Just now, Ging3rguy said:

You will need the hdd key from the softmodded box to unlock the hdd, you can get this by using an eeprom reader. Once you have the hdd key you can fix the softmod using xboxhdm or just chip it.

Alright, thanks!

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The short answer is no.

I could be sorted with a hot swap to a PC and some software on the computer but in my view it's quicker to fit a modchip and use a install dsk to setup the new hard drive..

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks for the reply, saw a video tutorial of this and I will definetely try it! Just have to get my hands on an old PC...

57 minutes ago, Fredrito said:

Thanks for the reply, saw a video tutorial of this and I will definetely try it! Just have to get my hands on an old PC...

Or you can try the xboxhdm 2.3 with usb hdd adapter support

Use a raspberry pi to grab the eeprom using PiPROM. It's just 3 wires connected to the LPC on the board. I had a unit with a bad hard drive. Well it would boot to the dash but freeze when trying to load a game or anything. It was weird. Completely untouched system. PiPROM saved my 1.1v xbox. From there I was able to lock a hard drive with the xbox hdm usb 2.3 and install to the console. It took me a few times because I pulled a corrupt eeprom and wrote it to 3 different drives. 

Long story short, read eeprom and open it in live info to make sure it is not corrupt prior to locking a disk with a bunk eeprom. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mpnet
      Hello everyone,
      i'm new on the scene and a month ago i started with my first modded xbox project. I'm from the Netherlands and have a pal 1.6 hardmod xbox with EVOX M8 bios.
      I make it to ntsc so i can use all hd modes and using the pound hdmi cable. My goal is to have a xbox with all games that where release on it on 1 disc. So i put a Seagate 3TB disc so i get the max of 2TB and use xbmc4gamers as dash. I found almost all games now, its a pretty challenge to fit them all (using soms ntsc instead of pal games or deleting all un needed files ).
      i'm now in the mode to test al games (i start the game and go to the first level) and now i''m on the letter c with the club football games. There are around 36 titles (2003 and 2005 versions) but non of them starting. When i started it it goes to a black (blank) screen and nothing happend. I try different sources from games, all the same. Patching ith with 480p loader has no effect. I can find an ACL patch and default patching doesn't work. I don't think it's a image problem, because all club football editions don't start. All other games (so far i tested, now about 200 games) are starting fine (sometimes with patching or finding an other source\version of the game).
      Any idea how i can start these games to work?
      Greetings,
      Mpnet
    • By Jaggsy1986
      I've done the softmod with rocky5 and changed to NTSC in nk patcher and everythings good with componant cable picture wise in dashboard. I've tried launching tiger woods 2004 pal game via disc and just get blank screen ? is there a specific setup in the video options to get pal games to work once you change to NTSC ?
    • By GoTeamScotch
      I recently acquired a Development Kit (DVT4) and decided to take some high-quality photos of the daughter boards from this console. They're pretty rare and obscure and I wanted to take some good photos for preservation's sake. I'm going to get a Raptor PCI card soon, so I'll add photos of that too later.

More info-
      These boards were in development kits and consisted of two parts:
      DVD emulation board. When paired with a Please login or register to see this link. installed into a computer, it allows a developer to master a game disc before sending a final copy to Microsoft for review, and later into production. This allowed them to test loading scenarios and figure out where certain files for the game should be physically located on a disc in order to reduce load times. When loading a level for a game, for example, all the files needed for that level could be grouped together on the disc to reduce the amount of skipping around the laser needed to do, which decreases load times. There is also a USB port on this card. While it uses a USB connector, it's actually a JVS port. This was used for hooking up arcade sticks and special components built for Please login or register to see this link. , which is based on the Xbox's motherboard. Serial debugging port This allows a developer to get debugging information from the Xbox to see how their code is behaving on real hardware. When writing software, it's useful to see technical info about when and how a bug happens in order to fix it. This board connects to a PC's serial port to read diagnostic info from the console in real time. More info: Please login or register to see this link.

Photos taken with a Canon 5D Mark iii, touched up in Lightroom.
      Link to photo album (includes high-res copies of the photos below): Please login or register to see this link.

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.