OGXbox.com

Question About Temperature and Fan Settings

technoob

What is the average temperature of a modded Xbox (at boot and after playing for 1 hour, just an example ) ?

Does the temperature get higher if games are played from HD or discs ?

What to do if it's too high / how to change the fan settings to reduce the temperature (in Slayers 1.7 or other dashboards like XMBC or Unleash, etc...) ?

Is there any other setting to check in order to keep the temperature stable or lowest as possible?

Edited by technoob

After you boot up your temps should idle at 35-45°, depending on your room temps.

From HD the temps go up higher as from dvd but nothing you should worry about.

In Unleshed you can find the fan settings in the system setting under "Xbox Admin Area" (on default skin).  In XBMC4Gamers you can set the fan temp also under system settings. And by Slayers you mean Evo-X i guess. There i have no clue cuz i don't use it, sry.

After gaming. Good question. Would say it also depends on the game and how much the ahrd drive works. Would guess 50-65C but also depending on room temps.

So maybe it's easyer to say what temps you have on which dash.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, technoob said:

What is the average temperature of a modded Xbox (at boot and after playing for 1 hour, just an example ) ?

Does the temperature get higher if games are played from HD or discs ?

What to do if it's too high / how to change the fan settings to reduce the temperature (in Slayers 1.7 or other dashboards like XMBC or Unleash, etc...) ?

Is there any other setting to check in order to keep the temperature stable or lowest as possible?

There are a few threads on the site discussing temps and thermal paste.

the Xbox will cut out at 72c so if it is doing this I would change the thermal paste and up the bios fan speed, they are normally set at 20%.
Depending on which dash you use you will get different temps, somewhere between 40c and 60c is good.

the dash fan speed will stop being relevant once you start a game.

4 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

After you boot up your temps should idle at 35-45°, depending on your room temps.

From HD the temps go up higher as from dvd but nothing you should worry about.

In Unleshed you can find the fan settings in the system setting under "Xbox Admin Area" (on default skin).  In XBMC4Gamers you can set the fan temp also under system settings. And by Slayers you mean Evo-X i guess. There i have no clue cuz i don't use it, sry.

After gaming. Good question. Would say it also depends on the game and how much the ahrd drive works. Would guess 50-65C but also depending on room temps.

So maybe it's easyer to say what temps you have on which dash.

yup slayers it's evox, it uses farenheit,  it seems (just checked at boot, these are the values):

MB 87.8F

HDD 57.2F

CPU 99.1F

But they get higher after I play for a while (1 hour or so) example: CPU goes around 110F (if I recall correctly last time I played it)

I'm from Sicily, so very hot all around (but I've just placed the Xbox in the colder room of the house... afternoons here are boiling)

should I worry / set different fan speed ?

Edited by technoob

Nothing wrong with those temperatures

100f = 38c

What fan speed have you set ? If it was mine I would slow the fan to reduce noise and let the temps rise a little bit around 120f/49c when playing a game

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

50 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Nothing wrong with those temperatures

100f = 38c

What fan speed have you set ? If it was mine I would slow the fan to reduce noise and let the temps rise a little bit around 120f/49c when playing a game

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

that's cool (literally, lol)

well, the fans yeah they're a bit loud but it's no worry for me if it means a healthier console on the long run... also the TV makes bzz sounds so they both make a good background noisy orchestra in the end lol (really old TV but surprisingly better than the newer one for RGB / Scart visuals).

• 2 months later...
At startup my Xbox readings are 
  • CPU: 95F (35C)
  • MB: 81F (28C)
....after approx 60min of running a game like Ninja Gaiden Black the temps shoot up to:
  • CPU: 150F (65C)
  • MB: 130F (55C)

which seems HIGH and the cooling fan sounds like a JET engine about to take off. I've replaced the thermal paste on both the GPU/ CPU, but still getting high temps. Any advice on what I might do to get these temps lowered would be appreciated.

Edited by 434_Gaming

1 hour ago, 434_Gaming said:
At startup my Xbox readings are 
  • CPU: 95F (35C)
  • MB: 81F (28C)
....after approx 60min of running a game like Ninja Gaiden Black the temps shoot up to:
  • CPU: 150F (65C)
  • MB: 130F (55C)

which seems HIGH and the cooling fan sounds like a JET engine about to take off. I've replaced the thermal paste on both the GPU/ CPU, but still getting high temps. Any advice on what I might do to get these temps lowered would be appreciated.

Is it version 1.6?

Cheers

SS Dave

• 7 months later...

Yo everybody, resurrecting the thread because I'm worried, when I boot my xbox it says:

MB 100F

HDD 86F

CPU 119F

After I play, didn't remember well but it was something pretty higher like 120, 100, 130.

Should I worry about it ? I mean it's Summer of course so probably it will return back to normal in colder seasons ? Maybe I should play something else just to stay safe ? Or setting the fans to higher activity actually does a thing in this case ? Yeah, the Xbox is pretty old

130f = 54c and I would not be to worried. if the temps get over 140f/60c then I start to worry

I normally get 113f/45c or less at idle with the stock fan set to 30% on a 1.0 -1.5 and my 1.6 reports 147f/64c from cold boot and the same after idling for 24 hours on the top shelf on the AV cupboard.

Cheers

SS Dave

well, yeah, the temp got 120,100,135 right now, "cold" boot.

edit... seems like leaving the console on another room made temp decrease by 20° or something. Maybe I'll just play Xbox in colder seasons, it's an old console, afterall....

anyway:

I tried setting the fans to 5.0 speed on unleash x and 100% on xmbc, but it only works while I'm on such dashboards (I don't mind feeling like I'm playing with an helicopter, lol) . When I'm on Slayers dashboard or in game, the fan goes as usual.  I didn't even notice any big change in temp decrease while staying on such dashboards, anyway

Edited by technoob

8 hours ago, technoob said:

well, yeah, the temp got 120,100,135 right now, "cold" boot.

edit... seems like leaving the console on another room made temp decrease by 20° or something. Maybe I'll just play Xbox in colder seasons, it's an old console, afterall....

anyway:

I tried setting the fans to 5.0 speed on unleash x and 100% on xmbc, but it only works while I'm on such dashboards (I don't mind feeling like I'm playing with an helicopter, lol) . When I'm on Slayers dashboard or in game, the fan goes as usual.  I didn't even notice any big change in temp decrease while staying on such dashboards, anyway

Is the Xbox soft or hard modded?

Cheers

SS Dave

it shows evox rounded triangle icon on the top left and Slayers 2.7 in the center bottom during the green fluid animation

anyway, I think the high temp was because of the global temperature + the place where the xbox was placed , not very ventilated. it's back to normal where it is now (downstairs, cooler room), but I think I'll play it less during summer... thanks, global warming, lol

a question still remains though: why does the fan go normal when I'm in game or in evox dash... but in other dash (where I set the fan to 5.0x speed or 100% speed) it goes faster ? How can I keep it faster all the time and in all situations (other dashes, ingame, etc...) ? Is it risky to keep the fan workin at full speed all the time ?

Edited by technoob

When you load a game the fan returns to the hard set speed in the bios and the it will return to the dash board speed when you exit the game.

You can edit the fan speed with EV tools the flash the new edited bios back to the modchip.

I set the fan speed to 30% on all the Xbox's I use the EvoxM8 bios on.

EV Tool.rar

evox_m8+_67.bin

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

The EV Tools is a PC program to modify the EvoxM8 bios file so you can try different fan speeds.

This is how I edit the bios file for my builds and all I change is the logo colors, See the bottom left corner for the fan speed

401063548_sampleEvoxM8.PNG.e372ca0f72261ff84fbab778948e1d1d.PNG

Once you have edited the bios file you can either FTP it to the Xbox C drive in a folder call bios (C:/bios)

Then use any of the bios flash programs that are on the Xbox in the apps folder

Or you can have you Xbox connected to you home network and load Xblast on the Xbox and use the flash via net option  and connect your PC to the Xbox using the IP number displayed on the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, technoob said:

As for the temp I've mentioned on my xbox, which fan speed is suggested ? 100% ?

My 1.6 is on the top of shelf of the AV cupboard so the hottest spot and I have the fans set to 40% and the temp stays the around the same even after idling for days. The cupboard temp runs around 25c and the Xbox max is 58c

I would try 30 or 40% and run it for a week and see how it goes. 100% will sound like a jet engine.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

100% will sound like a jet engine.

yep, I experienced that on the other custom dash... the noise could be no problem (I can just use headphones), unless it's dangerous for the engine itself (but wouldn't it be paradoxical, I mean... does the fan at 100% cause overheating by absurd ? )