OGXbox.com

Just Got a Og Box and the Dvd Drive Is Knackered.

titchgamer

Lots of little steps to get everything working.  Takes a bit of time to understand what each does but you'll have the latest greatest features available.

the dashloader has a boot order list that it tries to locate replacement dashboard files on the Xbox hard drive.  I believe they are the same as Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool just for a hard modded console.  Xbox modified BIOS's have a boot order too but it only includes 3 entries before starting the stock MS dashboard - C:\xboxdash.xbe.

I believe the following is the close to the hard mod version of the dashloader's boot order list of replacement dashboards (it is actually the boot order list of Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool softmod) There may be a few differences (1 is noted):

• C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • C:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • F:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • C:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\dash\default.xbe
  • F:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard.xbe
  • C:\evoxdash.xbe <<--this entry may not be present in the hard mod edition of the dashloader (evoxdash.xbe)
  • E:\evoxdash.xbe
  • C:\XBMC.xbe
  • E:\XBMC.xbe

Note: This boot order list may be completely different from the softmod dashloader for the hard mod version.

The first of these found on the hard drive becomes the default dashboard.

The boot order may be a bit different as C:\evoxdash.xbe will not be needed.  The modified Xbox BIOS looks for that XBE file first in its boot order list. 

For the ind-bios it is set in the configuration file C:\ind-bios.cfg.  The last 4 lines of the file in the zip archive attached above are:

• DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbe
  • DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\nexgen.xbe
  • DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\avalaunch.xbe
  • DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe

Here \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\ is equal to C:\ to the ind-bios. For this BIOS, the path to the xbe file(s) DASH1, DASH2 and DASH3 have to be specified in this manner.

Ok so just to check I have this all right as I am having to jump between posts and I am a bit thick 😛

this is what I need to do:

• enable "item: flash bios" in the ini file
  • Add the patched ind-bios.5003.06 file to c:\bios folder
  • I assume I now need to use the flash bios option previously enabled to flash the above bios?
  • move c:\evoxdash.xbe and c:\evox.ini to E:\ drive
  • move c:\bios and c:\skins to e:\ 
  • Upload dashloader place on c contents to the root of c:\ 
  • Upload ind-bios.cfg from archive to root of c:\
  • Reboot xbox

That all correct?

Cheers

This is as simple as I can make it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j23v0poyjz2vobr/Raincoat.rar?dl=0

Unzip and FTP to you apps directory on the E drive or F drive or G: drive

You can also FTP your prefered BIOS to the bios folder  eg E:raincoat\bios

Reboot the xbox and now look for a app called RemoteX

Press A on the Flash bios using raincoat

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

This is as simple as I can make it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j23v0poyjz2vobr/Raincoat.rar?dl=0

Unzip and FTP to you apps directory on the E drive or F drive or G: drive

You can also FTP your prefered BIOS to the bios folder  eg E:raincoat\bios

Reboot the xbox and now look for a app called RemoteX

Press A on the Flash bios using raincoat

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Ok flash done successfully :) Thanks.

Edited by titchgamer

There is some read me files in the config directory I would suggest you have a read and if you are not sure come back here and ask any questions.

Cheers

SS Dave

So with the new bios installed I come back to the HDD upgrade part.

What do I need to do with that? 

I see in the system settings its saying the HDD is locked so I presume I will need to remove that lock before swapping it out?
If so how as it does not seem to be a toggleable option?

Then how do I go about setting up the new HDD?

I have seen a few videos but they all seem to relate to TSOP's systems rather than mod chipped systems and basically involve plugging in the new HDD and then running the hexen disc to reinstall everything.

Kinda wish this thing was stock now and I could of just followed a tutorial start to finish, When I found the chip I naively thought it may of saved me some work LOL

Thanks for the continued help guys :)

2 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

what is the original hard drive and what are you wanting to keep?

Cheers

SS Dave

The original HDD is a 10gb Seagate, I am not bothered about keeping anything on it really, I just want to make it practically useable as without a working DVD the only way to play anything on it is via the HDD and I can only fit Halo on it atm heh.

My plan is just to chuck some games on the HDD and use it at events for people to play.

3 hours ago, titchgamer said:

Ok so just to check I have this all right as I am having to jump between posts and I am a bit thick 😛

this is what I need to do:

• enable "item: flash bios" in the ini file
  • Add the patched ind-bios.5003.06 file to c:\bios folder
  • I assume I now need to use the flash bios option previously enabled to flash the above bios?
  • move c:\evoxdash.xbe and c:\evox.ini to E:\ drive
  • move c:\bios and c:\skins to e:\ 
  • Upload dashloader place on c contents to the root of c:\ 
  • Upload ind-bios.cfg from archive to root of c:\
  • Reboot xbox

That all correct?

Cheers

Do the next to last step, Upload ind-bios.cfg to c:\, at the same time you upload the ind-bios.5003.06.bin file to the hard drive.

21 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

So it's soft modded at the moment?

Do you now what softmod?

Cheers

SS Dave

No it has a mod chip in (see first post) After that I honestly dont know whats been done to it as I brought it as is.
Other than flashing the bios and removing the clock cap I have done nothing to it and have bugger all experience of these things LOL

Ideally I would like to start from scratch with a new bigger HDD atleast that way I might learn somthing and have some idea of how to do these things heh.

Edited by titchgamer

28 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

So it's soft modded at the moment?

Do you now what softmod?

Cheers

SS Dave

It has an ALX2+ rev 4 modchip installed.  Currently boots the ALX2+ (kernel version 1.00.5101.01) blue BIOS in the 256KB user flashable BIOS bank or the Red colored version stored in a non-writable 256KB section.  The devs of the modchip say it's a ROM but the flash memory chip they use is a 29LV400BC-90 chip. A 512K x 8 bit flash memory chip (or 256K x 16 bit accessible with a BYTE# control line). 

I believe their CPLD's logic code prevents one half of the flash memory chip (U1) from being writable not a separate ROM chip on the modchip.  However, there are 3 chips and I cannot make out the labeling on the CPLD Xilinx XC95???? (U3) chip or the other part (U2) - looks like the labeling on it has been scratched off.

Edit: Flash memory chip is a 29LV400BC-90 part not 49LV400BC-90. Fixed a few other typos and reworded some parts.

4 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

It has an ALX2+ rev 4 modchip installed.  Currently boots the ALX2+ (kernel version 1.00.5101.01) blue BIOS in the 256KB user flashable BIOS bank or the Red colored version stored in a non-writeable 256KB section.  The devs of the modchip say it's a ROM but the flash memory chip they use is a 49LV400BC-90 chip. A 512K x 8 bit flash memory chip (or 256K x 16 bit accessible with a BYTE# control line). 

I believe their CPLD's logic code prevents one half of the flash memory chip from being writeable not a separate ROM chip on the modchip.  However, there are 3 chips and I cannot make out the labeling on the CPLD Xilinx 95?? chip or the other part - .

Well it doesn't have the ALX2 bios anymore, I flashed it with the modified ind bios that you provided via the raincoat app Dave provided.
I mean it still looks the same to me except the splash screen on start up has changed!!

3 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

It has an ALX2+ rev 4 modchip installed.  Currently boots the ALX2+ (kernel version 1.00.5101.01) blue BIOS in the 256KB user flashable BIOS bank or the Red colored version stored in a non-writeable 256KB section.  The devs of the modchip say it's a ROM but the flash memory chip they use is a 49LV400BC-90 chip. A 512K x 8 bit flash memory chip (or 256K x 16 bit accessible with a BYTE# control line). 

I believe their CPLD's logic code prevents one half of the flash memory chip from being writeable not a separate ROM chip on the modchip.  However, there are 3 chips and I cannot make out the labeling on the CPLD Xilinx 95?? chip or the other part - .

These images are hopefully easier to read for the ALX2+ rev4. This one from a Reddit post, and the image on this page, though it's labelled as a different modchip, but looks the exact same. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, titchgamer said:

I mean it still looks the same to me except the splash screen on start up has changed!!

So the dashloader application has been added too.  Everything should look the same but a lot of additional functionality has been added.  XISO disc image mounting. A user selectable dashboard/app can be started by pressing any one of the Xbox controller buttons on startup. This functionality has yet to be configured.  If already uploaded, the dashloader subfolder on the C drive contains a set of configuration files used to set the path of the app's XBE file to start when you boot the console and press the particular button.  Rocky5 also has a dashloader configuration app that can be installed on the Xbox to edit the files to edit these files to set the app you want to run when a particular button is pressed on startup.

3 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

So the dashloader application has been added too.  Everything should look the same but a lot of additional functionality has been added.  XISO disc image mounting. User selectable dashboard can be started by pressing any one of the Xbox controller buttons on startup. This functionality has yet to be configured.  The dashloader subfolder on the C drive contains a set of configuration files used to set the path of the app's XBE file to start it when you boot the console.  Rocky5 has a dashloader configuration app that can be installed on the Xbox to edit the files to select the app you want to run when a particular button is pressed on startup.

Ahh ok then.

But if I am swapping out the HDD not much point in doing anything with that at the moment?

Just now, KaosEngineer said:

Correct.  One step at a time.  2000 more steps. No, that's a few too many - 1995. We'll be done.

LOL

Ok! So step one....

HDD swap, How do I do this?

Can I just swap out with a new one and reinstall everything with Hexen?
Please tell me it will be that easy! 😛

First, make a backup of the C and E drive's by downloadiing all of the files from them with an FTP client to your PC.

Hexen 2018 forget it. It does so many things that are - just wrong!  We'll use a different installer disc - I have yet to decide which one. 

IIRC, @SS_Dave has a Slayer's disc image available online that you could download, extract and burn to DVD-R media.

6 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

First, make a backup of the C and E drive's by downloadiing all of the files from them with an FTP client to your PC.

Hexen 2018 forget it. It does so many things that are - just wrong!  We'll use a different installer disc - I have yet to decide which one. 

@SS_Davehas a Slayer's disc available online that you could download.

Ok cool I shall start D/Ling now.....

Could take a while this things slloowwwww.....

EDIT: Ok that actually went much faster than I expected LMAO

Copied all contects of drives C, E and F (it Had a load of stuff on it so thought I better take that to)

Edited by titchgamer

15 minutes ago, titchgamer said:

Copied all contects of drives C, E and F (it Had a load of stuff on it so thought I better take that to)

Ok, I didn't know it already had a larger HDD installed with an F drive (partition 6) present.  I never asked.  I had assumed it was the stock 8GB HDD.  I believer you mentioned having a 250GB HDD.

Yes backup that one too.