OGXbox.com

Issues With XBox 1.0

Keith01

Purchased a Xbox V 1.0 that has the Xecuter X3 mod chip, unit wouldn't even boot at time i received it ( sorry been otta this for like forever and just getting back into it ). After numerous trials and errors i finally got it to boot up, switch configuration on front. Anyways seems like its missing the backup that should be on the mod chip itself, doesn't seem to matter what i try cannot find it, other problem is it only stays on maybe 45 mins and shuts down, i think its a power supply issue, going to try another power supply this weekend since i do have a good replacement for this version. Other issues is cannot turn unit on with power button, only with the eject button, also another weird issue is when its first plugged in it comes on without touching any button on the front, lots of strange issues going on here, maybe someone may have a bit of insight to help resolve these problems. First thing i did was remove clock cap, had leaked a little but not bad at all, area around it got a very good cleaning and looks great

Hi Keith01

With my X3 chip a quick tap of the power button to turn on with the chip enabled and long press of the power button is chip disabled.

To get in to the config screen try both power and eject or after tapping the power button hold the white button on the controller while is booting and the X or B buttons work as well.

Try sw 1,2 on and 3,4,5 off that's the 1st 1024kb(1meg) bank.

The shutting down could be trace damage on the underside of the main board along the front and going by the fact that the power button is not functioning and it powers up by it's self that's where I would look 1st.

Also because the age of the Xbox a lot of the filter Cap's are starting to fail as well and that can cause strange booting problems and poor video output.

If you work the internet on the google machine  for Xbox trace rot repair there is heaps of hits on repairing that problem.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

Thanks for the advice, be checking into that this weekend, i'll give it a shot on those switch settings. I did try just tapping the power button and even holding is before with no response of any kind, Holding both power and eject does bring me up into the screen, i,ll get a pic of it and upload it. Theres 2 bios's it brings up 

Trace rot or corrosion of the traces on the front edge on the bottom of the motherboard causes power on when AC plugged in and other issues.

There are 4 very thing traces that run along the edge of the motherboard.  These carry the power, eject along with red and green front panel eject ring LED control signals to/from the System Management Controller (SMC) - a PIC processor.

127697874_tracedamagesection7frontedgeofXboxmotherboard(solderside).thumb.jpg.d8638caa63383e957faa1afa1d47d6a0.jpg

2 hours ago, Keith01 said:

No overheating issues, when it powers down its like your pressed the button to turn it off, there's no flashing on eject ring and fan speed is steady the whole time.

It really sounds like the track's on the main board are the problem.

Cheers

SS Dave

Took the advice of pulling Xbox completely apart again and using my recently set up microscope on my computer I checked the tracks slowly and carefully and found only 1 damaged track in area pictured, I traced where the track go’s and decided to solder in a wire at each vie area the trace went. Reassembled and it was worse, nothing from the power button, lost the eject but it would boot when pressing both power and eject, what a mess and added fun this is gonna be. Will re check areas again, I do happen to have another V1.0 console that is stock, if worse comes to worse I might have to move the X3 over to it and just start from scratch, 

I suggest bypassing the trace entirely.  Add a new wire that runs from after the pull-up resistor from the via on top of the board to the appropriate pin on the PIC processor.

pe_trace_10-11.jpg.76f8347f3c9d10c6875030ce7d26d038.jpg

Connect a 30AWG insulated wire from the violet colored via on the front edge of the motherboard (bottom section of picture) to the PIC processor's pin 18 (also marked in violet).

Thanks for the topic you uploaded with the pics, i had most of them traces followed and marked. Used the photos to double check and was off by only one of them. Made the correction, did only 4 of the 5 traces for the voltage line was in great shape. I did however after i did the jumpers for repairing 4 of the traces is to pick 2 spots on the board outside the bad area  and cut the bad traces altogether to isolate any issue there. Put it all back together at 7 am this morning and for the first time since i purchased this it finally booted up when pressing the power button. It,s been on with no problems since 7:30 this morning, Going to let it run for a few more hours then move forward with some of the mods i been doing on it, Only need to download X3 3294  and flash it, since making a ton of repairs on this thing LOL when i first got it to boot the Flubber was Blue, now it's back to normal green. ( if it did have the 3294 on it, it's not there anymore.)Thanks again for the pic upload on the correct path of them traces. Great community here

That's good news 

I do some of some of my best work early in the AM One morning I couldn't sleep so a quick ram upgrade to get the day started then yesterday I made a internal DVD dongle and USB port that can both be used at the same time and with any switching.

IMG_20200215_164047.thumb.jpg.85e5521e1f027bfdb0f77a30d1c95535.jpg

Here is a link to the BIOS you mentioned 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sjttpse155wu5jv/AAAgPPvWVVr-QCvAaJ2jI_D0a?dl=0

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, Keith01 said:

Only need to download X3 3294  and flash it, since making a ton of repairs on this thing LOL when i first got it to boot the Flubber was Blue, now it's back to normal green. ( if it did have the 3294 on it, it's not there anymore.)Thanks again for the pic upload on the correct path of them traces. Great community here

X3 3294 BIOS download

When powering on the console, use a short power button tap so the X3 is enabled.  If it's too long, the X3 modchip will be disabled.

Does it have the X3 switchboard installed:

1826251713_X3SwitchPanel-small.jpg.a830279a657acb4affcb14d7619a0b2f.jpg

If so, when powering on the console, is the X3 logo backlighting RED (modchip disabled) or BLUE (modchip enabled)?

Also, when powering on the console, hold the White button until the X3 Config Live menu appears.

59b5fad184143_X3_Config_Live_Build_3294(400x300px).jpg.801676defd3e071535a24aa8ce2e0e3c.jpg

Here's a pic of what i been working on, i added the LCD a few days ago. After 5 pm here and 81/2 hours straight being on and still going, tried bank switch's in different ways but ether it won't boot of just go's back to Unleashed X Dash, pressing both power and eject together brings up the Flashbios 3.0.0, checked what it has on the hard drive ( seeing what was there but did not flash it, just backed out for now till i figure out more stuff that's on it ) when just testing whats on hard drive for flashing  but not wanting to do that one yet. How do you get into the Backup, not sure on that one. I'm thinking the Config Live might be in the Backup. Any ideals be worth trying, 

IMG_0617.jpg

How the X3 modchip functions depends on which BIOSes are flashed to it.

Upon power on, hold the White button on the controller until; hopefully, the X3 Config Live menu appears.

Select Bios Tools -> Bios Bank Naming to see the names of the BIOSes flashed across the 8 256KB banks of the X3 modchip.  A 512KB BIOS will span 2 banks starting at an even 512KB address (starting at bank 1, 3, 5 or 7) and the X3 1024KB (1MB) BIOS will span 4 banks at an even multiple of 1MB (starting at bank 1 or 5).  A 256KB sized BIOS can stored to any bank 1-8.

X3 BIOS Bank Selection Switches

The switches select which BIOS bank to boot when the console is powered on.

256k Bank
Bank 1: on on on on
Bank 2: off on on on
Bank 3: on off on on
Bank 4: off off on on
Bank 5: on on off on
Bank 6: off on off on
Bank 7: on off off on
Bank 8: off off off on

512k Bank
Bank 12: on on on off
Bank 34: off on on off
Bank 56: on off on off
Bank 78: off off on off

1MB Bank
Bank 1234: on on off off (Set to this when flashing the X3 BIOS for the first time.*)
Bank 5678: off on off off

2MB Bank
Bank 12345678: off off off off

*Use the backup FlashBIOS to do so.  It is accessed by powering on the console by pressig both the Power and Eject buttons.  The X3 logo's backlighting will be Purple - a mix and the Red and Blue LEDs.

Tried the holding of white button earlier today but with no luck,( from what you suggest it should have done sorta tells me it's not there to find easily of just not there. I,ll keep trying ) only went into the dashboard, finally i turn it off, after being on all day long with no apparent issue's i felt it time to give it a bit of a rest, waiting for 1 final item to arrive, doing a soft mod on a Xbox i picked up here for 10 bucks a few months ago that works well. I took it apart, cleaned it, got rid of the old clock cap and new thermo on heat sinks. boots up and everything works like new on it. Just happen to have a 500G hard drive needing a home :)

5 hours ago, Keith01 said:

Tried the holding of white button earlier today but with no luck,( from what you suggest it should have done sorta tells me it's not there to find easily of just not there. I,ll keep trying ) only went into the dashboard, finally i turn it off, after being on all day long with no apparent issue's i felt it time to give it a bit of a rest, waiting for 1 final item to arrive, doing a soft mod on a Xbox i picked up here for 10 bucks a few months ago that works well. I took it apart, cleaned it, got rid of the old clock cap and new thermo on heat sinks. boots up and everything works like new on it. Just happen to have a 500G hard drive needing a home :)

Check the version of the BIOS/Kernel in the dashboard?  The X3 may not have the X3 BIOS flashed to it.  I know the used console I purchased with an X3 modchip did not.  It only had the backup BIOS, FlashBIOS 3.0.1, accessible on the modchip.

With the evoxdash, it's listed on the System Utils -> Settings page (an option you cannot modify).  Scroll down to the BIOS section of the page.

With UnleashX, press the (Y) button to display the System Info page. It's listed there.

5c69a7f896880_UnleashXSystemInfoPage-KernelVersion.png.dff9ead1883fd43f52d8eb5541817417.png

Heres the pic of info with Kernel version. I did try the X button and B button with no result. Maybe that Bios might have been there once since Flubber was Blue a while back. This poor Xbox was a mess when i first started on it and with help from this forum slowly making head way on it along with some case mods i been doing. When i first got it, it was simple Black case, normal drabe looking but not anymore. Adding the clear ghost case, LCD and also a few fun LEDS it's coming to Life :)

IMG_0327.jpg

It looks to me as if it has a X2-5032 BIOS

Has you Xbox got a small PCB like this

IMG_20200217_155836.thumb.jpg.e54474a43727671479beee6b495f4f69.jpg

The reason I ask is my version 1.6 with an X3 chip whoever did the install did not put that board in which means that the eject and power doesn't work because it's only wired to the power button.

Cheers

SS Dave