OGXbox.com

Hot-Swap XBlast Aladdin Failing To Flash (Flash Not Writable)

CleggorZ

So I have reprogrammed the cpld of the aladdin xt ready for xblasting, I have tried booting the console off an x2 duo lite modchip hotswapping and flashing xblast however Evox Gives me "flash not writable" error. I am using sst49lf080a chips and all of them say the same. I have tried flashing the 1mb bank 1mb dual and 256k. The 256k works with the original 49lf020a and I can flash it however after reprogramming the cpld and fitting the 49lf080a chip the flash is not writable. I have no wires on the modchip and grounded d0 on the board. I am completely stumped and dont want to fork out for a programmer for the 49lf080a chips especially if they could be bad.

What the hell can I do or could the chips I have be bad? Serious Thanks in advanced!

From what I read of the thread you linked it looks like XBlast is meant to be flashed onto the chip at a specific location in the chip’s memory. I’d expect that if you booted on another bank after successfully flashing XBlast THAT would work. But it doesn’t seem like the initial flashing of XBlast can be done within the Xbox itself. 

Rig up a CheapLPC and use that. 

Never done this particular mod myself so I’m not certain however. 

Try using the XBlast OS v0.56 XBE version instead of Evoxdash to reflash the Aladdin XBlast CPLD modded modchip.  

The XBE version is an Xbox application form of the BIOS - dot bin file.

Remember, the BIOS file to flash is the dot bin file from the XBlast OS v0.56 archive.

From the instructions I've read about modding the Aladdin XT plus 2 modchips, it mentions flashing the SST49LF080 with an external programmer before inserting it into the Aladdin's PLCC32 socket.  The XBlastOS itself controls read/write access to the flash memory chip but it's not installed yet to control the CPLD.

2 hours ago, CleggorZ said:

Sorry you misunderstand me, I am modding the aladdin xt to make it an Aladdin Xblast.

Aladdin Xblast - Assembler Games

However the new 1mb bios chip + cpld code refuses to flash after hot-swapping the chips, however if i use the 256k cpld code and bios the chip will flash hot swapping. 

So the numbering on the Assembler tutorial is confusing but did you manage to flash a Xblast 256kb bios to the chip before installing it into the xbox?

you cant create a Aladdin Xblast via hotswapping...

You need a programmer to flash the Lattice chip and yet another programmer to write the new 1mb SST chip with the xblast code to the correct part of the chip. Hotswapping wont get you anywhere.

Edited by ToxicMedz

On 7/5/2019 at 2:59 AM, ToxicMedz said:

you cant create a Aladdin Xblast via hotswapping...

You need a programmer to flash the Lattice chip and yet another programmer to write the new 1mb SST chip with the xblast code to the correct part of the chip. Hotswapping wont get you anywhere.

That's just false. The creator of the mod has himself stated that you can do it without external programmer by hotswapping modchips. 

https://assemblergames.com/threads/mod-aladdin-xblast.55068/#post-793422

Bennydiamond states:

Just so you know, it's possible to sucessfully do this mod without having a dedicated flash chip programmer (like the TL866CS MiniPro programmer I mentionned in OP).

Instead, you'd need a working modchip and a Xbox to boot from that modchip. Once you have reprogrammed the CPLD of the Aladdin XBlast(and properly inserted SST49LF080A in modchip), you can hotswap modchips and flash XBlast OS BIOS image onto the Aladdin XBlast by using your prefered Xbox App to flash Bios (Evolution-X dash, Gentoox Loader or even XBlast OS!). 

By doing this, the XBlast OS image will be programmed at the right spot to boot from it if you properly install the Aladdin XBlast (hook up D0 or LFRAME to it).

Let me know how this goes!

So, you should be able to flash it if this Aladdin XT clone has the same CPLD pin usage as the one's he'd been reprogramming the CPLD chip on.

Does the Aladdin XT plus 2 look like this one:

1840418207_AladdinXTplus2JTAGPads(ComponentSide).png.ab2da253f98a27df858576a84d8c2d27.png456327341_AladdinXTplus2JTAGPads(BackSide).png.1c3fef09cd515473bb706a1eae952a4f.png

Here's how I do it:

1) load XBlast OS 0.56 onto the HDD as an app, with the xblast bin file in c:\bios\

2) I boot off a normal aladdin, load into XBlastOS and get it to the flash screen. 

3) hotswap the chip to the blank Xblast-Aladdin chip,  and proceed with flashing

12 hours ago, Kekule said:

Here's how I do it:

1) load XBlast OS 0.56 onto the HDD as an app, with the xblast bin file in c:\bios\

2) I boot off a normal aladdin, load into XBlastOS and get it to the flash screen. 

3) hotswap the chip to the blank Xblast-Aladdin chip,  and proceed with flashing

Is this the chip you hotswap ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3pcs-lot-SST49LF080A-33-4C-NHE-SST49LF080A-49LF080A-49LF080A-33-4C-N-PLCC32-new-original/33002810382.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.103257d5v8MyV6&algo_pvid=3e6e104d-e704-4d12-9d3e-4127504eb352&algo_expid=3e6e104d-e704-4d12-9d3e-4127504eb352-2&btsid=3b884b0d-9961-4002-bbf3-f2e39c5aa286&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5,searchweb201603_52

1 minute ago, VoltXT7 said:

Is this the chip you hotswap ?

no, that is installed into the newly cpld flashed xblast aladdin, you boot the xbox off a standard aladdin xhip, then when in the flash program you swap the whole modchip off the pin headers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 10:28 AM, khanv1ct said:

That's just false. The creator of the mod has himself stated that you can do it without external programmer by hotswapping modchips. 

Incorrect. you cant reprogram the lattice chip on a stock Aladdin via hotswapping. I told no inaccuracy's, you could hotswap chips and flash xblast to the sst chip sure but that wont get you anywhere if you haven't reprogrammed the lattice chip on the new Aladdin. 

I am aware this is an old post. But thought I'd throw out some info.

19 minutes ago, ToxicMedz said:

Incorrect. you cant reprogram the lattice chip on a stock Aladdin via hotswapping. I told no inaccuracy's, you could hotswap chips and flash xblast to the sst chip sure but that wont get you anywhere if you haven't reprogrammed the lattice chip on the new Aladdin. 

ToxicMedz is correct in saying that the CPLD needs to be flashed before a hotswap can take place.

However, OP has already stated that the CPLD was flashed with the issue occured.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:10 AM, CleggorZ said:

So I have reprogrammed the cpld of the aladdin xt ready for xblasting, I have tried booting the console off an x2 duo lite modchip hotswapping and flashing xblast however Evox Gives me "flash not writable" error. I am using sst49lf080a chips and all of them say the same. I have tried flashing the 1mb bank 1mb dual and 256k. The 256k works with the original 49lf020a and I can flash it however after reprogramming the cpld and fitting the 49lf080a chip the flash is not writable. I have no wires on the modchip and grounded d0 on the board. I am completely stumped and dont want to fork out for a programmer for the 49lf080a chips especially if they could be bad.

What the hell can I do or could the chips I have be bad? Serious Thanks in advanced!

@CleggorZ, If you are looking, or still need assistance with this. I have 4 Aladdin chips in stock with the 1MB flash chip installed already flashed with xblast, I just need to program the CPLD's. I can sell you one if you need it.

Edited by M0RPH10U5