Sign in to follow this  
C64MidRezzie

Upgraded 500gb Ide Hard Drive Stuck On XBoX Screen At Startup

I successfully created and locked a 500GB IDE Seagate Hard drive using HDM V1.9.  I transferred it to my xbox and it gets stuck at the xbox splash screen at start up for ages and then goes to Error 13 - any ideas? (It can take 2-3 minutes for the word "Microsoft" to appear under the xbox splash). Thanks

Edited by C64MidRezzie

Assembler games thread I copied describing the error: 

Dashboard failed to launch due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

I would try to rebuild it. What are you using to source your C:/ and E:/ files for xboxhdm? I’ve not used 1.9. Did they come included as they do with xboxhdm23?

Since this is a dashboard error you might also find some success booting a rescue disc like Rocky5 extras, AID, or HeXen. 

Edited by Magicaldave

26 minutes ago, Magicaldave said:

Assembler games thread I copied describing the error: 

Dashboard failed to launch due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

I would try to rebuild it. What are you using to source your C:/ and E:/ files for xboxhdm? I’ve not used 1.9. Did they come included as they do with xboxhdm23?

Since this is a dashboard error you might also find some success booting a rescue disc like Rocky5 extras, AID, or HeXen. 

I know that the files are fine as I built another hard drive for the same xbox this morning and it works perfectly.  I'm scanning the physical drive for errors now using HDAT2 and it already found an uncorrectable data error - that along with searching on google has led me to believe that the 500GB is dying.  During my research I learned that the xbox might not load the drive if there are bad sectors on the disk - looks like the drive needs to be chucked in the bin.

Edited by C64MidRezzie

Damn, nice work! I generally find the IDE drives to be unpredictable to the point of uselessness these days. Got a nigh-20 year old desk star powering one of my PS2s but that’s more out of laziness than anything. 

18 minutes ago, Magicaldave said:

Damn, nice work! I generally find the IDE drives to be unpredictable to the point of uselessness these days. Got a nigh-20 year old desk star powering one of my PS2s but that’s more out of laziness than anything. 

It was my treatment of the drives that caused it - We moved to our new house 4 years ago and they were put up in the attic - the usual - freezing in Winter and boiling in summer.  I must have put them up there by accident because I didn't even realise they were up there.  I found a 300GB, 250GB, 160GB and 500GB (all IDE) in the attic a few weeks ago.  My notes say I tested them before I moved house and they were all working perfectly.  However, only the 300GB Maxtor and 250GB survived.  Funny, you should mention PS2 - I picked up a SATA Hard Drive connector for my Phat PS2 when I was buying my Startech IDE to SATA connector for my XBOX.  I was just trying out a 500GB SATA drive that I pulled from my old SKY Plus Box.  Even with the Startech IDE to SATA I find it much slower than the IDE drives when loading games from Coin OPS.  Not that it matters - I still play C64 games so it's still lightening quick by comparison.  I think SATA is the way forward for me in the long run - just annoyed with myself for not leaving the drives in our spare room along with all my other Consoles.

6 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

Have you got a soft or hard mod? If a hardmod load hexen into your disk drive and reformat the drive and see if that can fix it.

It's actually a completely fresh upgrade mod because I used HDM V 1.9 - it's a fresh clean install of the C and E drives.  I prefer to softmod a drive that doesn't have any clutter on it from previous mods.

The HDAT2 disk fix and repair showed that the drive had 5 bad sectors and it couldn't fix them - I guess it's time to chuck the drive - nothing I need on it as I was going to just use HDM V1.9 to create a fresh new hard drive for my xbox.