OGXbox.com

Is it possible to save this xbox?

lightwish

Is it possible to save this xbox? It's 1.0, fully recapped, and recently every now and then this Xbox goes into that overheating mode, with the orange light, and no image, and stays like that until it turns off. The panel buttons do nothing during this. But it's not overheating, because on all dashboards, it stays between 44C and 50C (I'm using the Nemesis Dual Fan Kit). I imagine it's the Adm1032 Temperature Ic Fail... I've already tried cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol to see if it solves it, but nothing. Is there a BIOS that ignores this sensor, or something in software? Or anything else I can do?

IMG_4163.jpg

32 minutes ago, lightwish said:

Is it possible to save this xbox? It's 1.0, fully recapped, and recently every now and then this Xbox goes into that overheating mode, with the orange light, and no image, and stays like that until it turns off. The panel buttons do nothing during this. But it's not overheating, because on all dashboards, it stays between 44C and 50C (I'm using the Nemesis Dual Fan Kit). I imagine it's the Adm1032 Temperature Ic Fail... I've already tried cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol to see if it solves it, but nothing. Is there a BIOS that ignores this sensor, or something in software? Or anything else I can do?

IMG_4163.jpg

The fix for a failure of this component is to desolder it and solder in a new one. Cleaning the contacts is not going to fix the component. The bios is not responsible and it is handled at a lower level than bios software. Although, @KaosEngineer is most experienced with all that :)

Edit @fox That could be! @lightwish Is the issue ever at boot from a cold start or is it in the middle of operation?

37 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

The fix for a failure of this component is to desolder it and solder in a new one. Cleaning the contacts is not going to fix the component. The bios is not responsible and it is handled at a lower level than bios software. Although, @KaosEngineer is most experienced with all that :)

Edit @fox That could be! @lightwish Is the issue ever at boot from a cold start or is it in the middle of operation?

MIddle of operation, I turn on now with stock fan and same behavior!

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, fox said:

maybe the psu is overheating

Hmm, PSU overheating trigger this FRAG too? Because this xbox has FOXLINK PSU, maybe trying change the PSU with my other 1.0 Xbox with Delta PSU maybe works.

Edited by lightwish

2 minutes ago, lightwish said:

MIddle of operation, I turn on now with stock fan and same behavior!

Okay, if it is at a cold boot EVER (like the console is cold and things can't be hot yet), then yes, the temp sensor probably needs to be replaced. That is my assessment, but maybe Kaos can add his input as well.

1 minute ago, lightwish said:

Hmm, PSU overheating trigger this FRAG too? Because this xbox has FOXIT PSU, maybe trying change the PSU with my other 1.0 Xbox with Delta PSU maybe works.

It's worth a shot if wanna try. Do you have any confidence to try to replace the sensor yourself, or are you not a very soldery guy?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Okay, if it is at a cold boot EVER (like the console is cold and things can't be hot yet), then yes, the temp sensor probably needs to be replaced. That is my assessment, but maybe Kaos can add his input as well.

It's worth a shot if wanna try. Do you have any confidence to try to replace the sensor yourself, or are you not a very soldery guy?

I'm not good at soldering, I had a lot of difficulty assembling the OGX_t4

On the Xbox-scene discord, they told me: just pull up the 2nd pin from the bottom on the temp sensor, and you’ll be good to go if it’s misreading data

Edited by lightwish

1 hour ago, lightwish said:

Hmm, PSU overheating trigger this FRAG too?

Yes, last year my main xbox's psu started overheating followed by the same symptoms. The fault was not with my mainboard, I verified this by swapping in a known working psu. So if you have another psu, find out.

And technically it's not a "FRAG" by the way.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, fox said:

Yes, last year my main xbox's psu started overheating followed by the same symptoms. The fault was not with my mainboard, I verified this by swapping in a known working psu. So if you have another psu, find out.

And technically it's not a "FRAG" by the way.

I’ll try swapping psu to see the results, I come back later to report.

5 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I agree with @Bowlsnapper.  If it does this at startup, the chip needs to be replaced. 

The System Management Controller (SMC) - the PIC processor on v1.0-1.4 motherboards or Xyclops chip on v1.6s - handles the overheating condition at a hardware level.  It flashes the eject ring LED orange and spins the fan(s) up to max speed to cool the system. If the temperature reading does not go down the SMC shuts off the console.  The front panel buttons do not respond after the overheating condition has been sensed by the SMC.

Edit: A damaged trace from the CPU's temp diode to the ADM1032 temp sensor or from the sensor to the SMC could cause a false overheating condition to be sensed.  As well, leaked clock cap electrolyte under the chip that cannot easily be cleaned without removing the chip could cause the error to occur.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jjjwelch said:

My main box has been doing the same thing lately, but not enough to really be bothersome. ill do the psu swap right now and see what happens. 

Swapped the PSU, and nothing changes, same behavior.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

I agree with @Bowlsnapper.  If it does this at startup, the chip needs to be replaced. 

The System Management Controller (SMC) - the PIC processor on v1.0-1.4 motherboards or Xyclops chip on v1.6s - handles the overheating condition at a hardware level.  It flashes the eject ring LED orange and spins the fan(s) up to max speed to cool the system. If the temperature reading does not go down the SMC shuts off the console.  The front panel buttons do not respond after the overheating condition has been sensed by the SMC.

Edit: A damaged trace from the CPU's temp diode to the ADM1032 temp sensor or from the sensor to the SMC could cause a false overheating condition to be sensed.  As well, leaked clock cap electrolyte under the chip that cannot easily be cleaned without removing the chip could cause the error to occur.

My guess a damaged trace is causing this, but I give up this xbox, I have other one fully functional anyway. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lightwish said:

The problem is that I live in Brazil, shipping will be very expensive, but I will keep it for spare parts, such as PSU, daughterboard controller, front panel, etc. etc.

I would love to finally replace a temp sensor, too. Well damn!

This is very similar to a post I made almost 3 weeks ago that somehow didn’t get a single comment lol. Here

What software version is your HD+?

Have you tried reverting to previous version?

Are you not using an OpenXenium chip with your HD+?

I’ve made some progress, but still getting freezes on two separate consoles. I’m thinking it has more to do with the HD+ not playing nicely with anything but the patched M8 bios. Good to see this post getting some attention because I’m just as curious. 

Lightwish, after years of working on these, I've often learned not to ignore the obvious things. Are you sure that GPU fan is spinning? It looks badly gunked up.

Try cleaning it and make sure it's working. If you still have the problem, I defer to my knowledgeable colleagues who have already given you excellent advice.   :)

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 8:05 PM, MadMartigan said:

This is very similar to a post I made almost 3 weeks ago that somehow didn’t get a single comment lol. Here

What software version is your HD+?

Have you tried reverting to previous version?

Are you not using an OpenXenium chip with your HD+?

I’ve made some progress, but still getting freezes on two separate consoles. I’m thinking it has more to do with the HD+ not playing nicely with anything but the patched M8 bios. Good to see this post getting some attention because I’m just as curious. 

I was honestly thinking something similar with bios or hd+ firmware.

10 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

A reflow of the additional RAM chips solved my freezing issue. Turns out that XblastOS can pass tests even with some pins not secured.

Yeah, I've had to ignore XBlast testing a few times and check those legs with tweezers, finding them loose sometimes. Makes me wonder how comprehensive that test really is.