OGXbox.com

Harcroft HDMI Encoder

Bowlsnapper

Looks like Harcroft has been improving on the Ryzee version and has been getting help. Cool to see some activity around this design! Nothing beats open-source!

Haarcroft-encoder.png

"

2/2 I've been working with some friends at Xbox-Scene to update @Ryzee119's open source HDMI prototype for Xbox to provide a more user friendly install and add some features. We're at the prototyping stage but things are looking good for a free open source internal Xbox HDMI Mod.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 9:59 PM, prtscn said:

separate optical out, me likey.

It's even a combo-jack too, which is cool. Analog audio or digital optical audio, depending on the type of cable you plug in. Similar to many laptops' audio out jacks.

This project looks super cool though. I love the idea of having an open source polished HDMI video option. Hopefully the firmware can be ironed out. Seems like that is the biggest hurdle at the moment, but I'm optimistic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoTeamScotch said:

It's even a combo-jack too, which is cool. Analog audio or digital optical audio, depending on the type of cable you plug in. Similar to many laptops' audio out jacks.

This project looks super cool though. I love the idea of having an open source polished HDMI video option. Hopefully the firmware can be ironed out. Seems like that is the biggest hurdle at the moment, but I'm optimistic.

The firmware already exists, otherwise the Ryzee model would not be functional in the first place. the source is on the github. It's being modified, of course. Too bad the github firmware cannot be updated, since the archive became read only on December 5th... for some reason :)

I wasn't aware that a lot of devices' jacks are this way. The same jack is used for both analog and SPDIF? Really?

6 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

The firmware already exists, otherwise the Ryzee model would not be functional in the first place. the source is on the github. It's being modified, of course. Too bad the github firmware cannot be updated, since the archive became read only on December 5th... for some reason :)

I wasn't aware that a lot of devices' jacks are this way. The same jack is used for both analog and SPDIF? Really?

Yeah, the firmware has existed for some time, it's just still in beta/prototype. Still needs some work to be feature-complete.

Audio jack: yes, a lot of modern laptops that have 3.5mm headphone jacks will double as a digital optical (toslink) jack too. You just plug in a mini-toslink cable and the jack starts outputting an optical signal instead of an electrical one. There's a little laser diode in the back of the jack that turns on if it detects a mini-toslink cable. This lets laptops (and this xbox hdmi project) output surround sound using the same small connector without taking up space with a separate connector.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2023 at 2:41 PM, GoTeamScotch said:

Yeah, the firmware has existed for some time, it's just still in beta/prototype. Still needs some work to be feature-complete.

Audio jack: yes, a lot of modern laptops that have 3.5mm headphone jacks will double as a digital optical (toslink) jack too. You just plug in a mini-toslink cable and the jack starts outputting an optical signal instead of an electrical one. There's a little laser diode in the back of the jack that turns on if it detects a mini-toslink cable. This lets laptops (and this xbox hdmi project) output surround sound using the same small connector without taking up space with a separate connector.

That's interesting. I'll have to start looking for that more often. I know the jacks exist, but I didn't know they were used so often. I don't think my laptop has it though... it's pretty basic, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Donnie-Burger said:

I had no idea about this one.  Man there's gonna be some serious options in 2024.

I have a feeling we are about to be completely inundated with options this year :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...