OGXbox.com

PLEASE HELP ! FREEZING ISSUE 1.1 XBOX

cdman

Hello,

I have learnt a lot from these forums over time, and come here often, but this is my first time posting and i would be really greatful for your help as i cant find a solution on google or these forums.

My xbox freezes / crashes on the screen after playing any game for about 10 minutes or so, the screen just completely freezes and sound just makes a constant buzzing sound until you power it off again, then if you turn it back on it will do the exact same again , be ok for 10 mins or so then freeze again.

Xbox is a 1.1 with tsop flashed to latest cerbios, and 128mb ram with clock cap removed.

So far i have tried, replacing the 5 caps near the cpu with alu polymer caps, cleaning the entire board with 99.9% ipa and leaving to dry, replacing the thermal paste, reflowing ram solder joints, 2 different power supplys, and 3 different hard drives some with file versions of games and some with cci image versions of the games and still same result each time when testing.

Any help would be really appreciated from the experts that are on here as my head is well and truly baffled with it lol, i have never had an issue with the xbox till it just randomly did this recently.

Thankyou in advance for any help or advice

10 minutes ago, cdman said:

I didnt think it could be that with replacing the thermal paste etc, but i will have a look at the temps soon when i get back and post them m8 thanks

Edit, image of temps immediately after crash and turned console back on

20231115_153950.jpg

Temperatures are perfect. Hmm, you've already changed the HDD, right? But what about the IDE cable?

Hi all, thanks for the replies, it seems i am only allowed to respond a small amount of times each day , so sorry about the late response.

So i tried watching videos for 1.5 hours and was fine, xbmc reported temps of 35c constantly, but as soon as i booted a game and tried again it froze again.

One time i have tried booting it after a freeze and it froze on bootup before even getting to the dash.

Also now and again i have seen a slight flicker on screen when in game, not sure if that is related.

The ram chips all pass the ram test in xblast no issue so no problems there, they were from ebay so not sure if from alixpress or not.

Really doing my head in now, just want to get it fixed and working well again like it has been for a long time.

Thanks

@KaosEngineer @SS_Dave you 2 seem to have a lot of knowledge on various forums too, maybe you could shed some light on my issue too?

thanks

Since you've already changed everything, things are starting to get difficult. I hope you don't have the same problem as I did when the heat sinks were removed. Because my console showed exactly the same error. See the picture in the attachment (3 torn pads under the CPU). The 5 capacitors on the CPU are also soldered properly, yes?

_20231116_163005.thumb.JPG.08ab505f1e8749cd86f2229b2e161f62.JPG

I dont think it would be ripped pads as the cpu / gpu heatsinks havent been removed since they were repasted and even then they were warmed up before hand and came off easily, so damaged pads shouldnt be an issue as it was working fine for a long time since then, any more advice anyone?

im lost with it lol but determined to fix it! 

Hi cdman, sound like we have nearly the same issues. My XBox was working fine (so far as I know) and than for sudden the freezes happens. I also renew the caps and i also renew the caps next to the VGA connector ... without any success. I don't have RAM Upgrade, but have v1.0 with Time cap removed. Also test different HDD (no SATA), Power supply, Cable, DVD without success. Temperature is also okay on my box (I set Fan to 100% with same issues)

Did you try to just copy file from a Samba share to your xbox ?? Because this is how I can reproduce the issue. I think (personally), its related to IDE Connection, because if freezing the VGA/HDMI Signal is still on the monitor, but with black screen.

Hi , files seem to copy over without problem, and play media fine, its just when i boot a game and play it a bit that it freezes until rebooted, i hope to find a solution for our issue so that i can get it fixed but really struggling to find a solution, not sure if a reflow of the gpu chip or something would fix it but dont what to do that if its not the problem as that could do further damage thats not reversible.

I hope this doesn't seem like a stupid suggestion, but have you checked all the legs on the RAM chips? Maybe they're hooked up enough to allow a boot, but when something addresses a certain area it can't and locks up? Don't even know if that's possible with a stock piece of software running and using the first 64MB anyway. @KaosEngineer?

I also question the ALI RAM, so they may pass a test in XBlast but still be faulty. I'm still trying to test them fully.

On 11/19/2023 at 6:31 PM, cdman said:

Hi , files seem to copy over without problem, and play media fine, its just when i boot a game and play it a bit that it freezes until rebooted, i hope to find a solution for our issue so that i can get it fixed but really struggling to find a solution, not sure if a reflow of the gpu chip or something would fix it but dont what to do that if its not the problem as that could do further damage thats not reversible.

Now I have to ask again. Did you have a sata to ide adapter? And question number 2, do you have that “infamous” yellow, 80-pin IDE cable. There were also many complaints that it led to errors. PS if you do a reflow like that without knowing what it is, well, it usually backfires. Greetings

Seems the site was down yesterday so couldnt reply, sorry.

@Bowlsnapper yes i have checked the ram legs numerous times with a scope and nudge test with tweeers and continuity eith multimeter, and all is good, as i say they have been working fine for a long time sine they were installed m8 so i dont think could be that, also pass in xblas and show up fine on the dash with the ram amount available.

@ChriZz i have tried the normal flat yellow ide cabke 80 pin, and multiple others that i bought to try which include the ultra ata with the tound cable that are 80 wire and the grey flat 80 wire ones and all the same, also tried differend ide2 sata adapters including startech as i have a few , all with same result, and i know what you mean about reflowing the chip, which is why i dont want to do it and get it fixed some other way.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em coming as i still want to get this fixed lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity have you tried replacing the hdd or wiping the current one and reinstalling files? Also, does it lock up playing disc games, hdd based games, or both? Definitely a weird issue and much harder at this point since most of the usual suspects have been ruled out based on previous posts. Have you checked the IDE traces, et al on the mobo just to see if anything looks broken or funny? Just trying to think of anything else that might explain it. 

@FrostyMaGee

Thanks for your response, i have tried it with different hard drives, and different files and different file formats too, compressed and files/folders wjth same result, and i have inspected the whole board under the microscope, top and bottom and cant see any damage anywhere.

@Marty

I have tried a few ide 2 sata adapters, a coulle of each of the cheap chinese adapters, (the one with 2 big caps and the slimline one without the big caps), and the startech one, amd i have tried the flat yellow 80 wire ide, and flat grey 80 wire ide and some round cable 80 wire ide cables and all same result, im lost with what else i can try!

Thanks for the replies people, keep them coming lol!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cdman said:

@FrostyMaGee

Thanks for your response, i have tried it with different hard drives, and different files and different file formats too, compressed and files/folders wjth same result, and i have inspected the whole board under the microscope, top and bottom and cant see any damage anywhere.

@Marty

I have tried a few ide 2 sata adapters, a coulle of each of the cheap chinese adapters, (the one with 2 big caps and the slimline one without the big caps), and the startech one, amd i have tried the flat yellow 80 wire ide, and flat grey 80 wire ide and some round cable 80 wire ide cables and all same result, im lost with what else i can try!

Thanks for the replies people, keep them coming lol!

Your thinking is logical. Word. Keep trying, buddy.