OGXbox.com

Business With the OG Xbox

Meerjel01

Just now, Meerjel01 said:

Can I make money out of making and selling original games for the console? The games will have original assets and settings to avoid copyright and will be sold with decent prices so I thought it was a good idea. But is it legal to do it?

Meerjel01

If people are willing to pay for the homebrew, I don't think MS really gives a shit anymore. It would have to be a good game though if you expect to make money! But I've seen that you can code, and your basic physics seemed pretty cool. I say go for it. If nothing else, it would be a fun project and would end up being very rewarding. I'd like to see what you can come up with and I like your enthusiasm! :)

11 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

If people are willing to pay for the homebrew, I don't think MS really gives a shit anymore. It would have to be a good game though if you expect to make money! But I've seen that you can code, and your basic physics seemed pretty cool. I say go for it. If nothing else, it would be a fun project and would end up being very rewarding. I'd like to see what you can come up with and I like your enthusiasm! :)

Yes mah man!

Though how should I make it so people doesn't share the files around? I feel like I need the earnings for my work and this community is a bit of a "Take and send" group.

Just now, Meerjel01 said:

Yes mah man!

Though how should I make it so people doesn't share the files around? I feel like I need the earnings for my work and this community is a bit of a "Take and send" group.

.... Good question... The only way to really do that is to either do offline product keys, or with the xbox connected to a server to verify purchase. Signing the executables would be pointless, even if it's possible. You may not be able to do that, and can only realistically expect what could be considered as donations, since DRM for the Original Xbox is pretty much dead in its own right.

In this community, however, guys our age and in our area tend to look out for each other and be supportive. So I don't think you would be ripped off too much. I wouldn't make it about the money anyway, since it's such a small community, relatively. Maybe also port the game to newer consoles with a wider base, especially since homebrew is easy to run on consoles like the Xbox one, with Dev modes.

11 minutes ago, antonic901 said:

As @Marty said, if you know coding and especially 3D engines, do you a favor and learn Unity/Unreal Engine. Make your money on modern technologies and platforms and then you will have money for living and xbox hobby projects. That's what I'm doing. WEB development for living and XBMC coding in free time.

It's okay for me even if I get little out of this cause I'm not planning on staying in the game industry my whole career. I want to be a cartoonist artist and make animations and comics. I only do games cause I feel like I need to finish my plans. Sorta getting it over with.

4 minutes ago, antonic901 said:

Maybe you could help me with XBMC rendering in some future. I will need to backport CBaseTexture class from Kodi to backport some features, but I have zero knowledge of DX8 and graphics. I tried blindly copy pasting but result of that was this:

Screenshot_2023-08-20_23-02-28.png

Screenshot_2023-08-20_23-02-52.png

I'm not sure if I can help unless it's simple code. I'm also busy with my own projects so the chance is even smaller. Have you seen the website I've linked to in my XTL tutorial series?

I saw, but I didn't have a chance to dive into it. Hovever, I will once I get to that part, but I don't have any hopes since I don't have any understanding how graphics works and also don't have that much time ti dive into graphics development (OpenGL/DX). And challenge for me is also language. English is not my native and I don't know what many words which can be found in graphics tutorials means. So I hope that some folks from scene will have interesent in helping me with video rendering and everything related to that.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, antonic901 said:

I saw, but I didn't have a chance to dive into it. Hovever, I will once I get to that part, but I don't have any hopes since I don't have any understanding how graphics works and also don't have that much time ti dive into graphics development (OpenGL/DX). And challenge for me is also language. English is not my native and I don't know what many words which can be found in graphics tutorials means. So I hope that some folks from scene will have interesent in helping me with video rendering and everything related to that.

There has to be somebody here who is willing to help you. At least I hope so. Maybe ask one of the software developers like Rocky 5? I would be afraid to because I've made such an ass out of myself over the past year, but for somebody solid like you, I think it would be much easier for you to get help :) I would like to see you succeed!

• 1 month later...

The game, In A Creation, is still in my head and will continue development even if my Xbox Series S games are of higher priority.

image.thumb.png.56736f9c388f04b6e4972abcb38352d0.png

Currently in question how to implement the A* system into the engine in an optimized way (Tho I still have an idea for how) and are about to add my first physics object into the game to check if it'll lag.

I shouldn't use this topic anymore since it was a question if homebrew games can sell originally. But I'll reveal as little as possible anyway!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Meerjel01 said:

The game, In A Creation, is still in my head and will continue development even if my Xbox Series S games are of higher priority.

image.thumb.png.56736f9c388f04b6e4972abcb38352d0.png

Currently in question how to implement the A* system into the engine in an optimized way (Tho I still have an idea for how) and are about to add my first physics object into the game to check if it'll lag.

I shouldn't use this topic anymore since it was a question if homebrew games can sell originally. But I'll reveal as little as possible anyway!

I'm interested to see how it goes! :)