OGXbox.com

Ftp transfer fails when I transfer xbmc4xbox.

5 hours ago, TheXboxMessiah said:

Hey guys so anyways, when I try to transfer xbmc4xbox via my windows 11 laptop, it gives me an error. The error says something about 255 or something like that, so how do I get rid of this error? 
PS: my Xbox IP address is configured on the laptop btw.

You're saying that your FTP client is giving you an error? If so, which client is it? Or are you using the FTP part of File Explorer in windows? When you "try to transfer." Does that mean when you try to connect to the xbox, or when you try to transfer the files to the intended directory?

8 hours ago, TheXboxMessiah said:

Hey guys so anyways, when I try to transfer xbmc4xbox via my windows 11 laptop, it gives me an error. The error says something about 255 or something like that, so how do I get rid of this error? 

Are you sure it’s set to ftp and not sftp?

8 hours ago, TheXboxMessiah said:

Which FTP Client application are you using?  You must login to the Xbox's FTP server with a cleartext username and password, not TLS or other encrypted login methods.

If you are using FileZilla, create a Site Manager entry to login/connect to your Xbox instead of using the Quick Connect boxes.

Set the Xbox entry's Encryption to Only use plain FTP (insecure).

1877619346_FileZilla-UseonlyplainFTP(insecure).jpg.924d6b5481c05c062fed7b1f67ccdd8d.jpg

It may be an individual file that is causing the problem - I'd suggest trying to FTP it one folder at a time and try to identify the culprit that way.

Try CoreFTP if you have some problem with FileZilla; that has always worked when I've had trouble with the latter but I do find it noticeably slower.

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

It may be an individual file that is causing the problem - I'd suggest trying to FTP it one folder at a time and try to identify the culprit that way.

Try CoreFTP if you have some problem with FileZilla; that has always worked when I've had trouble with the latter but I do find it noticeably slower.

1 hour ago, TheXboxMessiah said:

Hi KaosEngineer, I’m using the standard windows ftp file transfer method in windows file manager, when I try to transfer any other program, like say a emulator (ie CPX3) it works like it should, but when I transfer xbmc4xbox it doesn’t work correctly. Plus FileZilla doesn’t work on my end.

Try to ftp using regular XBMC. It has a setting in it that automatically truncates the filenames, if that's the issue. Although I would be surprised if piece of Xbox software had file names that weren't compatible with the file system.

14 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Alrighty I’ll try it when I get home, plus I found about the XISO method as I like to call it. I create an xiso of the image in extract-xiso then I burn the XISO image to a DVD+R, then I copy it as a game then lastly copy the XBMC4XBOX app on the game folder to the applications folder. I’ll try the XISO method later today or tomorrow afternoon.

Try to ftp using regular XBMC. It has a setting in it that automatically truncates the filenames, if that's the issue. Although I would be surprised if piece of Xbox software had file names that weren't compatible with the file system.

I wouldn't be; I've had some stuff in the XBMC\System\python folder that refuses to FTP as well as other in both the plugins and the script\.modules folder too despite having the Auto FATX limiter, found in the XBMC Network settings menu, enabled.

It can get really annoying when FTPing direct between Xboxes using UnleashX's File Manager FTP client too; it will consistently fail on certain XBMC files/folders and that can include some which have already been FTPed from PC to the first Xbox OK.   

BTW isn't the OP using XBMC4Xbox ie. vanilla XBMC already? The Auto FATX limiter is usually enabled by default in the XBMC/XBMC4Xbox downloads I've used but still worth checking that.

Edited by HDShadow

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

I wouldn't be; I've had some stuff in the XBMC\System\python folder that refuses to FTP as well as other in both the plugins and the script\.modules folder too despite having the Auto FATX limiter, found in the XBMC Network settings menu, enabled.

It can get really annoying when FTPing direct between Xboxes using UnleashX's File Manager FTP client too; it will consistently fail on certain XBMC files/folders and that can include some which have already been FTPed from PC to the first Xbox OK.   

BTW isn't the OP using XBMC4Xbox ie. vanilla XBMC already? The Auto FATX limiter is usually enabled by default in the XBMC/XBMC4Xbox downloads I've used but still worth checking that.

Well that's interesting...

I think he's trying to actually move the XBMC4XBOX software files, is how he's saying it.  Unclear on how the ftp is being hosted, however.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TheXboxMessiah said:

Okay, I don’t use a router to transfer my stuff to the Xbox, I use a Ethernet to usb adapter to transfer the Xbox plus idk how to host ftp sites on windows, I know how to make a connection from the pc to my Xbox but idk how to set up ftp sites for my Xbox, so how do I get that up and running?

It should honestly already be running by default. Go into your network settings and see what it is. Username/password is usually xbox/xbox. With DHCP handling, I've honestly had much better compatibility with a router. Using a direct connection is a pain in the ass and I do NOT recommend it. It can be done, but you either have to share the network connection with the wireless your laptop is using so that it catches DHCP from the router, or set up static IPs, which works about half the time, and half the time NOT for no apparent reason. Get an old wireless g router for nostalgia. 😛 But don't enable the wireless!

I have a spectrum router in my living room so maybe I’ll try to connect it but I swore I transferred xbmc4xbox successfully one time, maybe it was on my steam deck. Sorry if this have been a confusing mess of forum posts and the reason I want to transfer xbmc4xbox onto the Xbox’s hard drive, is to watch YouTube onto it. Plus Is there any option for tv tuner like say tv channels for xbmc4xbox?

2 hours ago, TheXboxMessiah said:

I have a spectrum router in my living room so maybe I’ll try to connect it but I swore I transferred xbmc4xbox successfully one time, maybe it was on my steam deck. Sorry if this have been a confusing mess of forum posts and the reason I want to transfer xbmc4xbox onto the Xbox’s hard drive, is to watch YouTube onto it. Plus Is there any option for tv tuner like say tv channels for xbmc4xbox?

Not that I know of... Maybe alpine Linux can use a USB OTA tv tuner? Which TV channels, since "channel" is a Misnomer at this point.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

Not that I know of... Maybe alpine Linux can use a USB OTA tv tuner? Which TV channels, since "channel" is a Misnomer at this point.

i am talking about over the air & cable tv channels, also a quick update on this. i will connect my xbox to my spectrum router sometime this week, so i can ftp XBMC4XBOX & connect up to the insignia servers. 

40 minutes ago, TheXboxMessiah said:

i am talking about over the air & cable tv channels

Not happening.

Using an OG XBOX as an HTPC in 2023 would be an exercise in futility....there are just too many better options these days for people to maintain XBMC for such an old console.