OGXbox.com

Stretched screen

Galindrada

Good morning,

I have an issue with my screen that's very annoying. As you can see on the picture below, both sides of the screen are streched (it can be seen by the size of the icons), apparently to fill the screen.

This is very troublesome because when I ' m playing any game it gives a "lensy" feeling, which is not good at all.

Pretty sure that it is something related to the TV since I've tried with another Xbox with the same result. Also tried SCART and composite cable with the same result tio.

Did this happen to anyone? How did you fixed it?

Thanks in advance

IMG_20230922_114606.jpg

It should just be a TV formating issue that can be deselected if you trawl through the TV's usually ghastly Settings > Video GUI.

What the option is called tends to vary and how it does it can vary too. On my newest TV it is called Auto Fill on others it might be a different name but when enabled it most typically does exactly what you've described. It incrementally stretches out a non-WS source eg. 4:3 format image from the centre so that at the edges the stretching is at its greatest.  My experience is that it looks awful on some TVs but on others, which seem to do it with a mixture of zoom and stretch it looks better. 

Many Xbox games do not support true WS or fake it using a 3:2 format which is why you see this problem.

Personally I am happy using 4:3 but on my Xbox gaming TV, a WS CRT, one of the reasons I bought it is because entering the service menu is so simple. The geometry options available are well presented and user friendly so easy to alter for just such cases. I play a lot of such Xbox games full WS with minimum distortion and no meaningful loss of picture content as the games are usually designed to allow for overscan anyway.

Accessing the service menu is not recommended even if you can find out how to do that for a particular TV model. The TV manaufacturers' GUIs are variable and in two cases I have experience appallingly bad. There's also the danger that merely entering the menu will will cause a factory reset of everything too.

Personally I'd love to have a TV with full geometry controls available to the user for cases like this but I doubt that is ever going to happen. We'll just have to make do with the preset video display options the manufacturers think we want/need.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Galindrada said:

Thank you for your answers @HDShadow and @prtscn much appreciated,

Will try to access that service menu (didn't know such thing existed) over the next few days and I'll let you know if it works.

Once again, thank you so much. 

Try finding the Auto Fill option (or whatever it is called on your TV) in the TV's main menu first, that is usually set as the default so it may be all you need to get an acceptable WS display maybe to use one of the the other preset display options.

If you do get into the service menu: good luck but it is on your own head if you do manage to do that.

Be very careful. for the reasons already mentioned, and take notes of the default/existing settings before changing anything.

Edited by HDShadow

I've tried everything on the remote's menu, and a bunch of internet suggested button combinations to access Panasonic's service menu. 

Nothing worked. 

Today my 6 month old daughter picked up the remote and a never seen menu appeared on the TV. 😄 I just screamed "Where did you pressed??".

So 🦧.. there's a specific button only for the format adjustment, by default my TV was in "auto mode" which decided to put every xbox game into 4:3 + overscan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Galindrada said:

I've tried everything on the remote's menu, and a bunch of internet suggested button combinations to access Panasonic's service menu. 

Nothing worked. 

Today my 6 month old daughter picked up the remote and a never seen menu appeared on the TV. 😄 I just screamed "Where did you pressed??".

So 🦧.. there's a specific button only for the format adjustment, by default my TV was in "auto mode" which decided to put every xbox game into 4:3 + overscan. 

service menu are used mainly in CRTS.

You have modern flat panel display. Use search engine to look for a manual using your exact TV model written on the back, and any picture setting will be explained.