OGXbox.com

Nightmare Softmod black screen upon loading games.

GrasslandGamer

My set up; PAL OGxbox, softmodded and updated with Rocky5's Tools Disk (PAL Splinter Cell), 2TB HDD cloned using chimp from original drive, UnleashX, clock cap removed (but not replaced), component cables, OSSC on default settings.

My issue is very frustrating, the xbox boots correctly I can see and use the UnleashX dash and FTP without problems. Upon loading almost all games, the game will run and load but I lose video signal, my component cable also has AUX red and white cables for sound that go into my sound system. The games load and DO play sound but still don't get a video signal.

I've tried various video settings in UnleashX video settings, a clean install of unleashX from Rocky5's Tools Disk, installing the original IDE HDD, changing the language on the original MSdash from English to something else and back again, all with the same results.

Even more frustrating is that even with PAL retail disks the results are the same either in the UnleashX dash and MSdash.

I've tried changing my xbox to NTSC region, using both NXpatcher and Enigmah but then I just lose video signal all together and have to remember button presses to navigate the menu's in order to switch it back to PAL.

Occasionally the xbox fails to boot or reload UnleashX dash and shows flashing RED and GREEN LED, turning the xbox on and off again resolves this but this isn't often. Games that I've tried that do work are HALO: Combat Evolved (both disk and HDD), 007 Nightfire from HDD, F1 2001 from HDD. Games definitely not working Burnout 3 Takedown, Black both form HDD and retail PAL disks. 

I also have a RGB SCART available used with the OSSC, this also loses video signal when game loads except theres no sound as there aren't AUX sound cables with this.

Previous to all this happening it was working fine, I've been at this for two weeks, any help would totally be appreciated it.

It does, it's 576i and I can select SCART RGB or YPbPr but it doesn't state the whether it is PAL or NTSC.

The other weird thing I noticed is that when the OSSC loses signal, the small LCD on the OSSC tells you there's no signal. Yet when I load a game it doesn't lose signal it still says 576i. Yet the TV shows no signal being received, until I reset to the dash RT+LT+BLACK+START.

rockys5 softmod doesnt use virtaul eeprom, so settings made in enighmahx will be changed after hard restart by nkpatcher, i dont remember clearly, but i had problems with this, so i softmodded back to sid512 and made custom changes to nkpatcher, sadly it doesnt have configure screen like rocky5 softmod have.

Dashboard runs in PAL or 480p? HD resolutions enabled?

The problem must be a game display issue if the dash is displaying correctly through the same AV cable type being used for that as for the games.

A possible clue is that the audio is not affected. That is typical of a regional video format issue.

It seems unlikely but there is a possibility you've just being playing regionally locked games and additionally, possibly, your TV does not like NTSC or something like that.

However I'm not ruling out the softmod settings here either, it can not be a coincidence that the problem only appeared after the softmodding. The protection given by modern softmods may extend to the video output too. Perhaps ED/HD is being forced for games or something like that.

I haven't used Rocky5's XBSMT since the very early days so I'm not qualified to even suggest where to look to fix this if it is that or similar but there are others here who are. 

Edited by HDShadow

I'm not really sure what I did but in video settings in UnleashX I set 'PAL60' to 'YES' then restarted the xbox, which caused a complete loss of video output (except for the flubber start up and unleashX splash screen). Then using the audio that was still working blind navigated my way back to the video settings and set 'PAL60' to 'NO'.

My video settings are attached if anyone else ever has the same issue in future. 

Games that weren't outputting video signal previously are now working using the component cables (haven't tried the SCART).

I am never touching the video settings again. Maybe I won't get the best HD possible but at least it's working.

IMG_3020.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GrasslandGamer said:

I'm not really sure what I did but in video settings in UnleashX I set 'PAL60' to 'YES' then restarted the xbox, which caused a complete loss of video output (except for the flubber start up and unleashX splash screen). Then using the audio that was still working blind navigated my way back to the video settings and set 'PAL60' to 'NO'.

My video settings are attached if anyone else ever has the same issue in future. 

Games that weren't outputting video signal previously are now working using the component cables (haven't tried the SCART).

I am never touching the video settings again. Maybe I won't get the best HD possible but at least it's working.

IMG_3020.jpg

ossc doesnt switch input resolution? you get black screen because it expects to get pal 50hz.