Sign in to follow this  
suwuj12

On/Off Controller Mod

Tried this on a v1.2 mobo but didnt have any success... Is this info bogus or am i missing something? I would appriciate any input. I attached the instructions that i followed..

ttps://www.google.com/amp/s/synapse.wordpress.com/2006/10/26/xbox-controller-power-push-button-mod/amp/

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by suwuj12

I was going to do this mod until I managed to source an X3ir kit recently. Does the power off and on job much simpler. 

All I can advise is to check and recheck your wiring. 

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Like 1

You need to make sure you disconnect the yellow wire going to the controller port inside the Xbox.  That sync signal is used for lightguns.  You are disconnecting it from the Xbox and reusing the controller wire to be able to ground the power control line that signals the System Management Controller (PIC processor or Xyclops chip) to power on/off the console.

• Like 1

@KaosEngineer

Thats what i did,, 3rd picture... i disconnected yellow wire from the xbox, extended it with red wire and soldered it to the 2nd to last pin on the mobo... Am i missing something? 

Your switch is a normally open momentary switch installed in the controller.  One side of the switch tied to ground and the other to the yellow wire in the controller cable.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:10 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Your switch is a normally open momentary switch installed in the controller.  One side of the switch tied to ground and the other to the yellow wire in the controller cable.

I have that done but what I am not fully understanding is in regards to working on the mobo for this mod. Specifically the (red wire) that must be soldered to the 2 pin & other end gets soldered to the stripped yellow cable of controller port 1 

On 3/3/2019 at 1:49 AM, fox said:

What's going on with all those other yellow wires in pic #2?

All those wires are for attaching the PCB signals to a custom arcade panel I just finished building 

You are tieing in parallel the new switch mounted in the controller with the power switch on the front panel printed circuit board (PCB).

Your switch must be a normally open (N.O.) momentary push button. 

Pin 2 is tied to the Power button output on the front panel PCB which connects to the motherboard via the all yellow cable. frontpanelheader640.jpg.960d859b6de2f91db13ef16e05415695.jpg

This signal goes to the pull-up resistor and current limiting signal resistor on the motherboard

xbox_pe_schematic.png.b2a079c7787f65168153293623dccca5.png

then on to the System Management Controller - PIC processor or Xyclops chip depending on which version Xbox motherboard you have.

pe_trace_10-11.jpg.dd42d4897dc6e9993bba898c22709985.jpgpe_trace_12-15.jpg.a0cb79f7fa6c9c82911c70fc49cb6b9b.jpg

A 1.6 is slightly different as the standby power supply voltage is 5Vdc instead of 3.3Vdc on previous versions.  So a simple voltage divider is used to create a ~3.3Vdc level when the power button is not depressed that goes to the Xyclops chip's Power_SW input pin.  Same goes for the Eject button. See the page at the link below for a more detailed explanation.pe_trace_16.jpg.6ae90527eff7c809f0f482569f12c865.jpg

Source: Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by KaosEngineer