OGXbox.com

XBOverclock *IGNORED* on some consoles

Bowlsnapper

My 1.6 Halo edition that I put my Aladdin in is stable at 827MHZ. And shows it in XBMC and wherever else. My X3 console will work too, and I believe it's a 1.4. All my other consoles will not ackknowledge the overclock. They just ignore it and stay at 733. This is extremely annoying. I would like to overclock any console I want, but it's not behaving consistently, which is a problem I have not heard of.

Does anybody know why XBOverclock would work for some consoles and not others?

Edit: Let me be ridiculously specific since, again, it seems some people have a hard time understanding my English: Does anybody know why some consoles would continue to operate at stock speeds and ignore the overclock and why some will accept it and the overclock will actually take?

8 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Wasn't there resently a topic someone shared OC bioses and told us it's fine because it will wörk on any consoles? Best go and ask him he seems to know way better than us. 

When I said a 778MHZ overclock would work on any console and so shared them, I meant that it would not be too high and not cause lockups. The CONTEXT of that posting would make that evident. Maybe you need to pay attention more closely. That is obviously not the problem I am describing here. So I don't know why you would go out of your way to say something that condescending and smart-assish other than you may have a negative opinion of me for whatever reason and you're seeming to start to take any opportunity to publicly criticize any post I make that you feel is even remotely retarded. It's getting kind of old. Can you stop doing that, please?

Anybody have anything HELPFUL to contribute? Especially seeing as how I'm not being an asshole and don't really deserve to hear things like that?

I find this problem interesting because there is NO account, except for one post in one thread on the entire internet, where the FSB clock settings performed by XBOverclock are just totally ignored by the console. I don't feel that it should be happening this much... Or at ALL. I have no idea why this problem should exist. By all accounts, XBOverclock settings are enabled and observed by the console for everybody who tries to use it.

My X3 box has had a 778MHZ overclock for months now. I just looked at XBMC and it's reporting 733MHZ? What the hell? What is with these consoles? Why would my overclock just stop working and go back to stock? That's so weird... Only one console now actually overclocks... the rest just ignore it... and they used to show the speed when settings was highlighted on the main screen above the temps.

@coldasijsMaybe you should read this post. 😛 

• Bowlsnapper changed the title to XBOverclock *IGNORED* on some consoles
Just now, coldasijs said:

@Bowlsnapper relax, it was just a joke from sweet. He is german and they are famous for their humor ;) 

are you using the same dash on all consoles? I think some dashes incorrectly report clock speed

Yeah it's the same dash, man. XBMC 3.5.3. All dashes report the same on these consoles. I'm pretty confused. Maybe I should just try something so ridiculously high that it won't boot and then I'll know if it's working or not 😛

If that's true then I will attempt to not react so strongly. Haven't been myself the last few months and seem to be pretty sensitive as of late...

This doesn’t seem to be a very common modification due to the risk vs reward. I’ve seen where some games are capped at 30fps and 420 resolution so there’s no way to improve them. Also it can cause some games to not run at all if above those settings and lastly, it can brick your Xbox completely. What are you trying to achieve with this mod? 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

This doesn’t seem to be a very common modification due to the risk vs reward. I’ve seen where some games are capped at 30fps and 420 resolution so there’s no way to improve them. Also it can cause some games to not run at all if above those settings and lastly, it can brick your Xbox completely. What are you trying to achieve with this mod? 

You sound like my mom, Marty. Lol.

I have mod chips that I can try these out on and I want to see what the usual cap is on the overclocks. If I can figure that out then I can figure out what is more or less a safe range to overclock other Xboxes with. What exactly is the risk anyway? What's wrong with 30 frames per second If it's what the game is designed for? It can break your Xbox completely if you're using the TSOP. I have chips and can bring it back to life. Also, I have an X blast light which is supposed to be able to recover the TSOP. I can flash the TSOP or replace it with one that sweeydarkdestiny sent to me. 

Marty... Buddy... How can you ask me what I'm trying to achieve with this mod? An overclock dude! :) In the words of Joker, Why so serious? I'm trying to figure out the best way to overclock a stock console and I would like to try to figure out how to access the memory divider function of the command prompt version (because apparently there is an XBE version now which absolutely amazes me and I need to start recommending to people who might not flash their xbox with a permanently overclocked BIOS if they don't have to). That way I can push the overclocks even higher. I'm trying to see how high I can push a stock CPU reliably. Then come up with a template and apply the overclock to some of the consoles that I sell if the customer wants it. Because I will start selling Xboxes now.

Why all the hate for overclocking anyway? It's worth it to me. Isn't that all that's required? :) I'm going to get into one gigahertz processors since there's no interposer required and that should kick up the performance quite a bit if I overclock that. I can't do it with all my sales, since a lot of games will be sped up since they're physics are tied to the CPU speed. But hey people want one. So I guess I'll try to start making them :)

• Haha 1

I don’t have any hate whatsoever for this. I’m just seriously not sure what the outcome is supposed to be. With such an old system, I’m legitimately wondering what good the overclocking is for. Also, is it still a stock console after tampering with it? 

It seems like the main issue would be the different revisions of boards, all of which have various chips and specs. So it may be difficult to have a one size fits all bios for this. 

7 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

I don’t have any hate whatsoever for this. I’m just seriously not sure what the outcome is supposed to be. With such an old system, I’m legitimately wondering what good the overclocking is for. Also, is it still a stock console after tampering with it? 

It seems like the main issue would be the different revisions of boards, all of which have various chips and specs. So it may be difficult to have a one size fits all bios for this. 

Well, anything that has trouble running at a full frame rate at stock speeds usually is greatly improved with the kind of overclock I have running at 824mhz. Especially with that console running at 720p like it is. The Cerbios boot animation doesn't stutter anymore at 720p (because the 480 version of the boot animation DOES) and the 720p version of Halo runs a HELL of a lot better with it. Certain emulators seem to benefit from it as well. Although, I would probably want to start installing one gigahertz processors with a stock front side bus so that things like RAM don't have to be overclocked and be the cause of lockups like they usually are. However, that would break a lot of games. And it's not like a bios flash where you can just switch the flash to stock speeds and have all the games are running at the proper speed.

I'm not attached to the console being stock at all. Why do you mention that? It's perfectly acceptable if the console ends up being better. Also if I get Xblasts, I can easily flash the 512 bank with the overclock bios, and the 256 with a stock bios for compatibility. You're definitely right that different RAM types and PSUs which are supplying power to the ram and to the CPU will result in different overclock caps. There is no getting around that! ;)

But to the original problem, Why are consoles ignoring the overclock settings? They should all theoretically be overclocking to at least some extent, but a lot of my consoles aren't. I've never heard of this and nobody's ever reported it, So I was trying to find out why it might happen.

13 minutes ago, SakisTheDrifter said:

I have 5 xboxes and all of them accept the overclocks fine. They are versions 1.1 1.2 1.4 and 1.6

Why are mine not showing it? How are you verifying the overclocks? Software measurement like XBMC? Only one of my consoles is showing the 824mhz overclock in XBMC. All others do not.

Okay. I created a "breaker" OC file that was clocked to 1GHZ so the console could not even possibly boot. I flashed and it WORKED. The console failed to boot. I think these Overclocks are working but not showing in XBMC or wherever else... unless something else about the overclock would cause my chip to fail to boot the bios and then just take me straight to xblast. I think I used the xbe that time.

My Xecuter 3 frags when trying to boot ANY XBOverclock touched bios files. Just booted UDMA version 5 fine. But the splash animation didn't show with the dogs... I think I need to take it easy with this shit. I'm gonna break something if I'm not careful. Thank god I'm on an X3 with easily accessible banks. Better not fry it @Fringle

Cerbios 6 base speed boots fine on my X3 box. Now to try the smallest overclock possible.

My X3 booted a cerbios mofified for 755MHZ, but failed to show it in XBMC... maybe I need to turn the NVCLK down about 10.

Lowering the NVCLK to 275 from 285 fixed it. I need to make these default to 275 for the NV to make them less risky for my and other's use... with HEAVY disclaimers from now on. Jesus I need to be careful! I'm going to create a whole set with 275 from stock speeds all the way up to 850MHZ. I'll try the lowered NV to see if I can push this one box to 850 stable. Have no idea why 285 doesn't make my 720p console frag and why it reports speeds in XBMC correctly. XBMC USED to show accurate speeds, now it just says stock. Anyway, I Must be binned very luckily with all my parts...

X3 has a stable flash at 275/778.

Second to last post says that overclocking is not working for him as of 2.2.0

I'm gonna try to use the interposers I have with 1ghz processors. I got a processor for 20 bucks. so Let me try with that instead and I'll have modchips with one bank underclocked for compatibility. Overclocking is kinda stupid. @MadMartigan

Now my 720p console's dvd tray only cracks opn. it doesn't get stuck, it just stops. Isn't worth it. I'm going to invest in reballing and processors.

Guess i'll invest in a reballing setup for the interposers.

Overclocking my 720p console caused my drive to not open more than an inch now so I think I'm done at this point. This is retarded. I'm never recommending another overclock. How that's even possible I don't know but I guess overclocking can even give you allergies.

7 hours ago, eeksdee said:

XBOverclock is a bad tool and only replaces the clocks at specific offsets in the xcodes. Most scene kernels that support multi, etc, utilize a method of adding the Xcodes from *other* kernels into their own, aka, having 2 sets. So this is why you're not getting OCs.

Enjoy some runtime OCs. https://github.com/GXTX/XboxOverclock

Thank you for the info. I can't even get the XBE to actually load and was using the bios version.