OGXbox.com

how to get the EEPROM from the hdd and use it on a different drive without downloading any mod on the hdd?

WiNmstr

I want to change the hdd of my xbox with an ssd, because the optical drive is not working, but I know that I need the EEPROM to trick the xbox into thinking that the ssd is its original drive, but I dont really know how to do it without installing a custom firmware on the hdd and then be able to use an FTP to get it (the stock firmware doesn't allow the xbox to connect to a pc via ethernet). Then the only other way to do that is "hotswapping" but it requires an old computer with IDE connections but it's a bit difficult to find one. so if there is another way of doing this,let me know to try it

Thank you in advance

2 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

You'll need an eeprom reader or a variant of raspberry pi to pull the eeprom from the motherboard in order to build a new drive. If it's a 1.0-1.4 you can flash the TSOP with minimal soldering required. Zero soldering required if you order a conductive paint pen. 

the xbox is a 1.6b(2005) so, i think it needs to be soldered to to the TSOP flash, Right? How to find a EEPROM reader,do you have a link to one?

Thank you in advance

6 hours ago, WiNmstr said:

the xbox is a 1.6b(2005) so, i think it needs to be soldered to to the TSOP flash, Right? How to find a EEPROM reader,do you have a link to one?

Thank you in advance

You can use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino to read the configuration data from the 8-pin serial EEPROM chip on the motherboard.  For a v1.6 motherboard, it is at location U7D1.

LPC_header_v1.6.png.c9e61e3c4e46b9a121de546207b91b24.png

A 1.6 is a it more complicated to read the data.  You have a short time after you power on the console to read it before it becomes inaccessible.  I believe the I2C bus gets flooded with data read/writes which prevents an external device from having a chance to read the data from the EEPROM.

Reading the configuration EEPROM data using

Here's a mini tutorial and some extra info on using an Arduino that may be helpful -

You can use any of the below search terms to find what you need, I used a

"Pro Micro atmega32u4 5v 16Mhz Arduino compatible" which connects as a "Arduino Leonardo"

You need a micro USB data cable (make sure it's a data cable as some cables will be power only).

For the connection cable I used Jumper Wire Male to Female 15cm. Here is a pic of mine.

1.thumb.JPG.313a9e8bf248578278198a98d98f795f.JPG

Go here to get the sketch for your arduino -  ArduinoProm and write it to your device.

At first I used the python method to read the eeprom, later I found there is a windows application called

XboxEepromEditor

which requires .NET Framework 4.7.2 (Mono compatible)

This is now my preferred method to grab the eeprom.

2.png.7c6737509e7269be1cd07c4106e3a1cf.png

Use this anytime on 1.0 -1.5 console.
An example for reading a 1.6 xbox eeprom -
click on Utilities > ArduinoProm > Read > and hover the mouse over COM3 (or your arduino's COM port)
power on the xbox count to 3 then click com3 (the selection your mouse was hovering over).
If successful the fields in the application will be populated by your eeprom's details.
If not reboot and try again (I found 3 seconds to be the sweet spot)
to finish click file > save.

Now you have your eeprom.bin we need to setup your SSD and lock it with the drive key you just got.

I used a SATA mechanical drive but it should work the same for an SSD.

Go to the below link and grab the latest FATXplorer, currently its in beta and no license is required.

FATXplorer

.net 7 runtime x86 or x64  are required

Connect your SSD to the PC and in FATXplorer Format your drive (double check the drive you are going to format is the correct one)

More details on how to do this here - FATXplorer format tools

Once formatted we need to populate the C and E partitions so the console can boot.

Someone may have a direct link to these files specifically, or you could just grab the ones on the

Slayers installer disk link courtesy of sweetdarkdestiny

In FATXplorer go to the devices tab and select the hard drive you are going to use on your xbox, and mount the C partition

then copy everything from the C folder to the C partition, and unmount by going to devices again, then do the same for the E partion.

Finally we just need to lock the drive in FATXplorer

More details on how to do this here - HDD lock/unlock tool

Go the HDD security tools tab and select set password (use the default option if you want for the master password)

Now click the radio button that says HDD key and below that select load from eeprom, choose your eeprom.bin you created and follow the instructions.

The drive will remain unlocked until it is power cycled or powered down, so turn off your PC and remove the drive, plug it into your xbox and test,

if all went well it should boot to the clock or your freshly installed 5960 dash.

Edited by zono
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1