OGXbox.com

Error 06, but HDD key matches EEPROM

shauno5

3 hours ago, RMM said:

No but you did mention in step 2 you read the Xbox's eeprom with PiPROM, edited eeprom.bin then wrote it back to the Xbox so even if you did have the original hard drive, it wouldnt have matched the edited eeprom the Xbox would now have.  It just brings us back to the question of whats wrong?  Is it the edited eeprom information that's on the hard drive, the edited eeprom information that is now on the Xbox's eeprom?  Is it both?

My guess is something to do with the HDD(s) as I've verified the EEPROM now has all 1s and should be ready to go with an all 1s HDD. Even though I checked my HDD and it unlocked with 1's, I guess there's a lot of variables and things that can to wrong with USB adapters, old drives etc..

I'm going to try a build again with a brand new SATA drive as soon as I get a SATA adapter and cable.

If that fails then I guess I'll try and move the modchip over from my other board and see how that goes.

Edited by shauno5

18 hours ago, shauno5 said:

I'm going to try a build again with a brand new SATA drive as soon as I get a SATA adapter and cable.

If that fails then I guess I'll try and move the modchip over from my other board and see how that goes.

I would just jump straight to the mod chip and you should have right from the start!!

I have a couple of unlocked stock hard drives that already have the game saves need to re-flash the on board bios on hand

I would fit the pin header and at the same time add the 2 links needed to re-flash the onboard bios chip

Ground the D0 on the mother board and plug the modchip on the board

Boot the Xbox and then lock the HDD to the Xbox

Remove the mod chip and the D0 wire

Re-boot the Xbox and re-flash the on board bios and once the Xbox reboots unlock the HDD for next time.

Now you can fit the new HDD that you have built using Fatxplorer V3.0 beta and the job is done.

Simple

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shauno5 said:

My guess is something to do with the HDD(s) as I've verified the EEPROM now has all 1s and should be ready to go with an all 1s HDD. Even though I checked my HDD and it unlocked with 1's, I guess there's a lot of variables and things that can to wrong with USB adapters, old drives etc..

Did you try my earlier suggestion on using FATXplorer?  FATXplorer can unlock IDE hard drives but as soon as you unlock the hard drive you will want FATXplorer to remove the password.  If you try to write to after you unlock it you can get errors and it wont work.  The way to get around this is unlock the hard drive, remove the password then disconnect the hard drive from the computer.  When you plug the hard drive back in to the computer the password should be gone and then you should be able to mount it and write to it at that point.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I would just jump straight to the mod chip and you should have right from the start!!

This is the logical solution to this thread. Now knowing that you’ve had access to a chip this entire time lol. Any further tinkering is just going around your ass to get to your elbow. 

On 7/27/2023 at 6:37 AM, shauno5 said:

A couple of questions:
1. Can a hardmod or TSOP flashed xbox boot into a locked drive?
2. Whats the relationship between the HDD key and the password? Im a bit confused about this. Does a stock xbox need a password as well as a HDD key?

• A1: Yes.  
  • A2: From the factory, a unique HDKey value is stored in the 256 byte (2048 bit) serial EEPROM - configuration EEPROM 24C02.  It is used along with the hard drive's model and serial number to cryptographically compute the password to lock and unlock the hard drive. A stock Xbox has a unique HDKey stored in its configuration EEPROM.  The hard drive was locked at the factory with the correct password computed for this Xbox and the particular model and serial number of the hard drive installed in it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shauno5 said:

Is the locking password all 1's or the configuration EEPROM's HDKey value?

21 hours ago, shauno5 said:

I suggest trying the DOS command-line tool included with XboxHDM23USB - smartctl.exe - to unlock the hard drive.

Instead of using the menu from XboxHDM23USB, open a Run as Administrator cmd.exe Window to manually key-in the command to execute the application - smartctl.exe - directly.

At the command prompt, run the application with the correct options to access the USB adapter attached Xbox hard drive.

First, find the correct device name Windows assigned to the Xbox hard drive you want to unlock. To do so, enter the following command at the prompt:

wmic diskdrive get model,name

Example output:

Model                                                              Name
    HGST HTS545050A7E680                             \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
    SanDisk SDSSDH3 1T02                                 \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
    WDC WD10 02FBYS-02A6B0 USB Device     \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2

Here Windows has assigned the Xbox hard drive the device name:

\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2

However, smartctl.exe uses Unix-style device names instead of Windows-style device names.

You will need to convert Windows' PHYSICALDRIVEN value to the correct Unix-style device name:

\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 = /dev/sda
    \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 = /dev/sdb
    etc.

In this example, the device name of the Xbox hard drive is /dev/sdc

Now, check the current lock status of the Xbox hard drive by entering the following command at the DOS prompt:

smartctl.exe -g security /dev/sdc

(Remember to substitute the correct device name for Xbox hard drive attach to your PC.  It may be different than given in this example.)

To unlock the hard drive, issue the following command:

smartctl.exe -s security-eeprom-unlock,eeprom.bin /dev/sdc

Note: The eeprom.bin file MUST BE in the current working directory.

One last time, check the unlock status of the hard drive:

smartctl.exe -g security /dev/sdc

Remember to use the correct device name for your PC-attached Xbox hard drive.

If the hard drive is power cycled, it will again be locked. With the commands above, the locking password is not removed. The drive is simply unlocked to gain read/write access to its content until an IDE bus reset or power cycle occurs.

• Like 1

So, finally able to give this another look.

Thanks for all the advice so far, checked with smartctl.exe and can unlock and lock with the eeprom.bin that i've written to the xbox.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:56 AM, RMM said:

Did you try my earlier suggestion on using FATXplorer?  FATXplorer can unlock IDE hard drives but as soon as you unlock the hard drive you will want FATXplorer to remove the password.  If you try to write to after you unlock it you can get errors and it wont work.  The way to get around this is unlock the hard drive, remove the password then disconnect the hard drive from the computer.  When you plug the hard drive back in to the computer the password should be gone and then you should be able to mount it and write to it at that point.

Thanks, yeah, performed this to unlock the HDD and remove password so I then was able to mount it with FATXplorer.

This led me to by accident put in an unlocked HDD into the troublesome Xbox and actually got something I didn't expect -- Error 16, and I expected Error 05. Could this mean that the xbox may actually already be TSOP flashed, and expecting an unlocked HDD?

6 hours ago, shauno5 said:

...This led me to by accident put in an unlocked HDD into the troublesome Xbox and actually got something I didn't expect -- Error 16, and I expected Error 05. Could this mean that the xbox may actually already be TSOP flashed, and expecting an unlocked HDD?

The Xbox wants to set the clock but cant because it is failing to load a dashboard.  Usually this issue is because the dashboards on the hard drive are not set up right or the bios is pointing to the wrong place for the dashboard.  If you are using Cerbios, it looks first to load evoxdash.xbe on C  next it looks for avalaunch.xbe on C then it looks for nexgen.xbe on C.  If none of those are there, it defaults back to trying to load the original xboxdash.xbe

Im guessing what happened when you rebuilt the hard drive is you didnt include the dashboard.  If the Xbox is not modded then it would be failing to load xboxdash.xbe

Edited by RMM

If the Xbox is not modded you can setup the hard drive with FATXplorer and include the softmod as part of the rebuild.  That way when you stick the hard drive back in the umodded Xbox, the Rocky 5 softmod would already be on the hard drive ready to run.  To do this you would take Rocky5's XBHDM Build.zip and use that C: partition when setting up the hard drive with FATXplorer. 

From the softmodded Xbox you could then flash your TSOP.  To me this seems easier than setting up the hard drive then using the game exploit to flash the TSOP because if you need to rebuild the hard drive, why not just go ahead and softmod it so you dont need to worry about that part.  Anyway the choice is yours, just throwing out a suggestion.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GO8e61Urz0Ck8110A5C5X0qxnGpLjTI8

I rebuilt the HDD with FATXplorer, using clean C and E folders which include xboxdash.xbe, but still getting Error 16. I tried all the different partition options as well to no effect.

I'm not even sure what kind of modified BIOS could be on this machine, theres no EvoX logo on the flubber screen, so not sure which dashboard it could be looking for. I just presumed it is running something other than stock BIOS as it's not complaining about an unlocked HDD.

11 hours ago, shauno5 said:

I rebuilt the HDD with FATXplorer, using clean C and E folders which include xboxdash.xbe, but still getting Error 16. I tried all the different partition options as well to no effect.

I'm not even sure what kind of modified BIOS could be on this machine, theres no EvoX logo on the flubber screen, so not sure which dashboard it could be looking for. I just presumed it is running something other than stock BIOS as it's not complaining about an unlocked HDD.

What text appears under the big X logo at the end of the startup animation?

Microsoft or XECUTER2

You must place all of the files and folders from the clean C and E archive's C folder onto the C partition of the Xbox hard drive, not just xboxdash.xbe.  There's 167MBs of content to be placed on the C drive.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/95s2c0tf8873dyb/Clean_C_and_E_Files_for_Xbox.7z/file

11 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

What text appears under the big X logo at the end of the startup animation?

No text at all. It just hangs for 5 - 10 seconds at that point and then goes to E16.

All the files are there as well on C, 167MB.

Edited by shauno5

23 hours ago, shauno5 said:

From everything you described, I would think the Xbox is stock.  Since you have opened up the Xbox you should be able to see if a mod chip were installed.  If not a modchip, the TSOP would have some points soldered that you could check.  If neither of those are there, you have a stock Xbox.  It would be fairly easy to check.

3 hours ago, RMM said:

From everything you described, I would think the Xbox is stock.  Since you have opened up the Xbox you should be able to see if a mod chip were installed.  If not a modchip, the TSOP would have some points soldered that you could check.  If neither of those are there, you have a stock Xbox.  It would be fairly easy to check.

I had a closer look, no points have been bridged, so I guess its stock then.

Since I can't softmod/TSOP flash, I guess a modchip is my only option. I was my last resort option as I don't want to stuff my working xbox, but Ill try and move the modchip from my working xbox over to this one. Not confident with this as I haven't done it before, but it will give me something to learn.

Theres no way to TSOP flash via the LPC header pins is there?