OGXbox.com

XIso - Playing Games From Xbox Hdd Using Iso Images.

RoofTop

On a modded PS2 and Wii you can play games directly from iso images.

This  can also be done a Xbox.  You just need some tools, some attach/default.xbe's the correct bioses and some dashboards.

I have tried to follow a tread on xbmc4xbox and another one on emuxtras on how to do this.  But I gave up as it was

unclear to me where to get hold of the attach.xbe file and also if i had to re-flash my bios to make this work.

I wonder if someone here can make a good tutorial on how to make this work.

( I use xbmc4gamers as my main dash,  And i have two xboxes, one with evox m8+ and one with indbios 5004. )

Thanks,

I think, the XISO's will take less space in the long run than extracting the files/folders from them.  Any file less than the cluster size will take a full cluster to store on the HDD - 32KB or 64KB for large extended partitions.

(Update: Long filenames are not problem as a DVD disc image is mounted that doesn't have the FATX filename length limitation.  The mounted image looks like a DVD disc is loaded.  Also for games larger than 4GB's in size, the max size of a single file allowed in FATX, the ripper splits the image into multiple files <4GB each that are mounted as one larger than 4GB disc for those games that require it.)

You'll need the NKPatcher driveimageutils-v1.0.1 archive which contains an attach and detach XBE as well as an Xbox XISORipper app to create the XISO images from original discs.  It rips the disc image and includes the default.xbe (attach app with the game's name set as it's XBE Title).

And, the CDROM modchip archive. (Update: Not really needed as I've attached a pre-compiled patcher below named evoxdash.xbe.)

As most modchip BIOS's are set to boot evoxdash.xbe as the first xbe in the boot order, name the XISO patcher - evoxdash.xbe - and rename your current default dashboard that's already named evoxdash.xbe to evox.xbe.

Here's my precompiled XISO patcher XBE named

evoxdash.xbe 

(Size: 10,232 bytes, SHA-1: 7E486314DE185FB68B274FC52843E751C03C52B9)

It chain loads evox.xbe after patching the in-memory BIOS routines to be able to mount/run the XISO images with the NKPatcher driveimageutils' attach app - default.xbe.

You either use the ripper to create the XISO image and it  adds the attach app into the game's name rip subfolder in your Games folder on F (or G if you edit the ripper's config file) for the game's XISO (dot iso file) or add the default.xbe attach app if you already have the ISO in a subfolder. However, if you do it this way, you'll need to edit the attacher's, default.xbe, XBE Title to see the game name in the menu. (Use XBMC or UnleashX's File manager to change the XBE Title.)

Works with the following BIOS/Kernel versions:

3944, 4034, 4817, 5101, 5530, 5713, 5838 and Evox M8plus (it's kernel version is 5838 so duh).

Update - sorry the above list is not quite right (the source file's comments had not been updated to match the actual code):

3944, 4034, 4817, 4981, 5003, 5035, 5101, 5530, 5713, and 5838.

Modchip BIOSes: X2 4981, iND-BiOS 5003, X2 5035 and M8plus are supported.

P.S. If you don't boot a bank flashed with a supported BIOS, the patcher will still load your default dashboard (C:\evox.xbe) without applying the patches to an unsupported kernel version.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Here you go, works on all bios since it’s patching a BFM bios.

unfortunately ind-bios5003 won’t work 100% and 5035 doesn’t work either, so we need to use M8Plus to get it working 100% (this goes for BFM or flashed) this package should be self explanatory.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14XYrIpqEhsREMEy5LM0u6lgqJV1T0XK5/view?usp=drivesdk

if you use XBMC4Gamers you can use the XISO to HDD script to parse and process your XISO files into folders and it will also populate the attach.xbe with the correct certificate information of the game so trainers and save managers work properly. 

Note: 

if you want it to load on each boot, just get your bios to run C:\Bios Virtual Drive Patcher\default.xbe on boot.

it uses my dashloader so any patch my softmod loads this loads also, you can create a dashloader.cfg file and put a custom path to a dashboard of your choice in there to boot that first and you can also populate the dashloader.rec file with a path to a recovery dashboard if you want to use the start+y feature of dashloader. (This is handy as a backdoor incase you arse up your dashboard and it loops)

Edited by Rocky5
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

No love for X3 bios then, oh well I’ll have to tsop the box and then boot with the chip disabled to load iso’s

The X3 modchip can have other BIOS's flashed to it and you can selectively boot one of them from the X3 Config Live menu.

When powering on the Xbox, hold the white button until the X3 Config Live menu appears and use the BIOS menu to select a different bank to boot one of the supported BIOS's.

P.S.  I use M8plus BIOS myself. I've not tested the iND-BiOS 5003, X2 4981 or X2 5035 BIOSes..

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

Here you go, works on all bios since it’s patching a BFM bios.

unfortunately ind-bios5003 won’t work 100% and 5035 doesn’t work either, so we need to use M8Plus to get it working 100% (this goes for BFM or flashed) this package should be self explanatory.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18y3ual6s1zXaKYSAOTsM9NORvPnpccFI/view?usp=drivesdk

if you use XBMC4Gamers you can use the XISO to HDD script to parse and process your XISO files into folders and it will also populate the attach.xbe with the correct certificate information of the game so trainers and save managers work properly. 

Note: 

if you want it to load on each boot, just get your bios to run C:\Bios Virtual Drive Patcher\default.xbe on boot.

it uses my dashloader so any patch my softmod loads this loads also, you can create a dashloader.cfg file and put a custom path to a dashboard of your choice in there to boot that first and you can also populate the dashloader.rec file with a path to a recovery dashboard if you want to use the start+y feature of dashloader. (This is handy as a backdoor incase you arse up your dashboard and it loops)

Thanks Rocky, I do use 4gamers so once I get my iso games transferred across I will run the script.  No softmod tho.. x3 chip for me but I can use that to boot M8plus when I want to play an iso 👍🏻

On 2/21/2019 at 4:26 AM, Planktonic said:

I'm just wondering why you would do this, when you would lose out on being able to modify and/or trim games

There are a handful of games that will fail loading from hdd over time - most noteworthy are Toca race driver 3, The Warrirors, Harry potter prison of Azkaban and some Tony Hawk games. I want to be able to load them from hdd - and it seems the only option is to use the ISO load method.

I know there are ACL for these, but I have read they are not 100% working.

Thanks @KaosEngineer and @Rocky5 for your posts,

Right, I am trying Rocky5's method first.

Steps:

1.  Transfer iso from PC to xbox F:games\gamename\

2.  Copy folder "Bios Virtual Disc Patcher" to root of C:\

3. Copy folder "Bios Virtual Disc Patcher Loader" and "reboot xbe" to E:\apps\

4. Run "XISO to HDD script" and enter the directory F:games\gamename\ and run the script here.

5. Then i head back to Xbmc4gamers "games" menu and run "gamename"

Nothing happens and the xbox reboots xbmc4gamers.

Mission failed. What did i do wrong ?

No joy for me either, i dont know if its becasue im running a modchip or not, but i have booted into evoxM8+ bios, which boots to a shortcut xbe which loads XBMC4Gamers. I have run the script on my test iso and it has done its stuff as there is an xbe, tbn etc alongside the iso but when launching the game it just reboots to dash after a black screen.

@Rocky5 Any ideas or tips on what im doing wrong?

On 2/21/2019 at 8:36 PM, Rocky5 said:

C:\Bios Virtual Drive Patcher\default.xbe

@Rooftop, you are hardmodded?

If so, is your BIOS configured to run the file quoted above as the first item in its boot order.

5c732b19aa7e5_M8plus-BiosVirtualDrivePatcher_default_xbe.jpg.91f3c558092cb612fd8904a5c16a45bc.jpg

11 hours ago, RoofTop said:

Bios Virtual Drive Patcher\default.xbe 

has to be executed before you are able to use the attach app stored alongside each XISO disc image to run it.

From what I understand, this default.xbe file loads its own BFM (Boot from Media) BIOS that it patches to be able to use the NKPatcher driveimageutils' attach (default.xbe) app.

Update: I'm not sure you can have an xbe in the boot list stored in a subfolder on the C drive as shown above.  I always have the patcher in the root of the C drive but call it evoxdash.xbe as it's the stock M8plus and most other BIOSes first entry they try to start when booting.

Edited by KaosEngineer

10 hours ago, RoofTop said:

Right, I am trying Rocky5's method first.

Steps:

1.  Transfer iso from PC to xbox F:games\

2.  Copy folder "Bios Virtual Disc Patcher" to root of C:\

3. Copy folder "Bios Virtual Disc Patcher Loader" and "reboot xbe" to E:\apps\

4. Run "XISO to HDD script" and select F:games\ and pick ok

5. Then i head back to Xbmc4gamers "applications" menu and run "Bios Virtual Disc Patcher Loader(It will reboot into your dashboard. The LED will change colour for a second during the patching)

6. Load your ISO game now

Mission failed. What did i do wrong ?

No fixed what you put, I folderize the XISO so all you do is fire them into the games folder I do the rest.

the reason it reboots games is because of what I done to the source to spread up the menu loading. (It thinks all things are xbe files, so the gamename folder you see is a folder and not an xbe) 

disable faster game parsing and you will see what I mean. 

Edited by Rocky5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

@Rocky5 Thanks for explaining that, I will try that today when I get home. One more thing, the artwork installer doesn’t install anything for the Xiso games, is there anyway to force it to do so? Or do I have to do it manually somehow?

Once you install the XISO properly it will. 

• Thanks 1

It works! Finally a lamehead like me can enjoy iso games.

Just do the 5 steps above. ( It does infact folderize all iso's present in the game folder.  )

6. Then when dashboard (xbmc4gamers) reloads, go to the game menu and press A to run and "mount" the game to the virutal dvd rom.

The xbox reboots again back to dashboard.. Now go to settings and file-explorer and place cursor on the D: drive and hit START and the game runs.

If you soft-reset with IGR you return to back to dashboard - and you can mount a different iso game.

Tried with HP-Azkaban and Tony Hawk p8. 

Thumbs up!

1 hour ago, RoofTop said:

It works! Finally a lamehead like me can enjoy iso games.

Just do the 5 steps above. ( It does infact folderize all iso's present in the game folder.  )

6. Then when dashboard (xbmc4gamers) reloads, go to the game menu and press A to run and "mount" the game to the virutal dvd rom.

The xbox reboots again back to dashboard.. Now go to settings and file-explorer and place cursor on the D: drive and hit START and the game runs.

If you soft-reset with IGR you return to back to dashboard - and you can mount a different iso game.

Tried with HP-Azkaban and Tony Hawk p8. 

Thumbs up!

Just press start at the games list to boot a disc.

• Thanks 1