OGXbox.com

DVDs drive constantly opens.

Bowlsnapper

Just now, MadMartigan said:

I did check and unfortunately all the ones I had are the crappy Phillips drives. I have a few more console to fix when I get a chance. If I run across anything, I’ll let you know for sure. Was hoping other members could check their stashes also. 

Replace the drive with a Samsung drive or re-flash a compatible disc drive such as an LG GDR-8163.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMartigan said:

I’m not looking to repair my drives. This topic is about helping @Bowlsnapper find a solution to his issue so I checked to see if had parts to offer him. 

I appreciate you looking, like you said you would. Maybe I'll make that the console I try out Nemesis' no DVD case mod on. I'm sure he's ready for me to try it already. :) @NeMesiS

2 hours ago, SylverReZ said:

Replace the drive with a Samsung drive or re-flash a compatible disc drive such as an LG GDR-8163.

I actually have a few sd-616 drives. I just know I need other parts to get it to work, so I'm hesitant. Lol. Maybe I need to just try it though.

@OGXbox Admin why am I not able to post pictures anymore? What happened to the limit?

Try leaving a disk in the tray?

For some reason this usually does the trick with DVDroms that don't want to open.

I've thought about tricking a DVDrom in thinking there's always a disk in the tray

to see if it's a firmware issue or a hardware issue (maybe the weight of the disk helps, i dunno)

19 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Try leaving a disk in the tray?

For some reason this usually does the trick with DVDroms that don't want to open.

I've thought about tricking a DVDrom in thinking there's always a disk in the tray

to see if it's a firmware issue or a hardware issue (maybe the weight of the disk helps, i dunno)

The loading mechanism was just dirty and not shutting all the way. Ran it through its full range of motion and used silicone lube and it was fine. There was another problem. The magnetic bearing in the top of the spindle had broken loose. I tried to glue it, used too much, and the magnet was unbalanced because I used too much glue and there was nowhere for it to go in the channel. No pressure relief. So now I have glue in the spindle head and its probably fucked. I'll never get that out of there 100 percent. Now I need a spindle motor... Or I'll just use it as the console for your kit.

Is the kit and HDMI mod compatible with a 1.6? I assume not, just wanted to make sure, to see if I'll have to use another motherboard.