OGXbox.com

Do i need to replace my hard drive ?

https://imgur.com/a/dtmjN9V U-ATA CRC Error 200 concerns me the most,can someone explain these numbers to me? i am pretty green in this ;d

20% of games have  issues like freeze at loading screen, for example i have to restart xbox while playing Farcry Instincts because it freezes during loading next level, i have to load next level from downloaded save file,beside that games runs fine,no crashes during gameplay.

But games like Halif Life 2 or Morrowind never had issues with loading maps/levels which is interesting.

Yes. If you’re getting errors in results and games are behaving odd, you could be on the countdown to destruction. You can be proactive and get a new HDD now. If possible, don’t even turn it on again until the new HDD arrives and you can make a backup. Better to be safe than sorry.

Edit: Someone else may be able to chime in here, but I don’t think you should unplug it at all either. 

Edited by MadMartigan
Updated

On 7/17/2023 at 9:06 PM, MadMartigan said:

Yes. If you’re getting errors in results and games are behaving odd, you could be on the countdown to destruction. You can be proactive and get a new HDD now. If possible, don’t even turn it on again until the new HDD arrives and you can make a backup. Better to be safe than sorry.

Edit: Someone else may be able to chime in here, but I don’t think you should unplug it at all either. 

I think these are reasonable precautions

45 minutes ago, SylverReZ said:

The stock HDD will easily wear out overtime. Best to install a modchip and upgrade to an SSD.

I actually prefer spinning platter drives. Something satisfyingly purist (minus the SATA) and nostalgic about it. I feel like if it doesn't have a mechanical HDD then it's not a "real" Xbox. Lol.

I wonder if you could run the ide to a sata adapter, and then a SATA adapter to NVMe? I doubt it, since it's a straight pcie Interface.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

The comparison videos I’ve seen, show an improvement of mere milliseconds. Not quite worth the price for me. Not when 4TB linger around $50 and 2TB for $30 or so. To each their own though 

I have seen these comparisons and I can confirm them. I was actually surprised. But it just comes down to the bus speeds bottlenecking the true life results. If it were actually a SATA bus, the results would be vastly different I'm sure.

• Like 1

For me, I always feel like an HDD will be more reliable than an SSD (I say, using an SSD from 2013 to type this out (´ ∀ ` *) ) I've seen old SGI machines with hard drives from the early 90s work to this very day, while the oldest solid state drives I've seen in current use are from 2012.

This combines with the cheap price of massive drives and the fact that the Xbox was designed with 3.5in drives in mind make them the best for my machine™.

Of course, the best choice is the one you are thinking of/already have made (¬‿¬ ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ka5ug4 said:

For me, I always feel like an HDD will be more reliable than an SSD (I say, using an SSD from 2013 to type this out (´ ∀ ` *) ) I've seen old SGI machines with hard drives from the early 90s work to this very day, while the oldest solid state drives I've seen in current use are from 2012.

This combines with the cheap price of massive drives and the fact that the Xbox was designed with 3.5in drives in mind make them the best for my machine™.

Of course, the best choice is the one you are thinking of/already have made (¬‿¬ ).

If nothing else, they're properly weight balanced. Sheeit.

12 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

The comparison videos I’ve seen, show an improvement of mere milliseconds. Not quite worth the price for me. Not when 4TB linger around $50 and 2TB for $30 or so. To each their own though 

https://www.retrorgb.com/og-xbox-storage-upgrade-shootout.html

this comparison shows that some games show seconds of improvement over a fast HDD while others have limited improvement. Now this was tested with UDMA2, UDMA5 will further favor SSD. 

If you need a lot of storage then indeed HDD is a lot cheaper, but I think that for most people 1-2TB will be large enough. I have 150 games on my XBOX and only used 50% or so, so a 1TB SSD is what I went for. Added bonus is that my xbox is now super quiet. I’m happy!