OGXbox.com

The next EEPROM Reader/Writer (picoPromSD)

dtomcat

TL;DR:  They work!

It works! (at least on a modded 1.6).  I have no reason to assume it won't work on all other xboxes... but i have to create a pogo pin adapter to do a full test.   I'll try to do that this weekend, but I'm fully expecting it to work.  I tested: reading, decrypting, and writing to the EEPROM.  It all works.  YAY to money not wasted LOL.  After I finish testing... I'll make the initial batch and test those.  If all pass, I'll be in contact with a few of you for the initial batch...  If all is good feedback, i'll make the rest and post here when they are for sale.  If you contacted me and I ran out of initial batch, I'll send you a message as well and give you first dibs on the ones for sale.

picoPromSD_Assembled.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

I am still interested in getting my hands on one if you have any spares.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I’ll try to figure out who I’m reserving for by this weekend that way I know where the initial 8 will go.  I know 3 are spoken for and atleast 1 I need to offer to someone for providing me a few eeprom.bin’s to help hone in the software side 

• Like 2

All Testing is complete and the initial batch is ready :)  I've sent a few messages out to a few people.  Please get back to me so I can offer next down the list if you are no longer interested :)  Once the initial batch goes out and I get feedback (not expecting anything bad to come up... but I'll make before selling the rest), I'll post in the "For Sale" section.  Price will be $35.00 + Shipping.  Thank you all for the feedback in the forum.  Excited it worked out.

• Thanks 1

Got mine in the mail today and tried it out. It worked like a charm! Very quick and easy. I can see this being a useful tool for softmodding / tsop flashing. 🙂

I mentioned this in my PM to you, but I think a pogo pin adapter (like the one you mentioned earlier) would be a great addition to include for boards without a populated LPC.

Edited by GoTeamScotch
  • Like 2

Great progress!!!!

News 1:  made a better pogo pin adapter.  No real change in the 3D model... just the pins themselves.  I HIGHLY recommend the use of P75-E3 pogo pins.  My other pins were just about the same size as the LPC holes and would sometimes go through.  These new ones work great and can keep pressure without fear of going through the holes!  Attaching an image of the new one with the old pogo pin next to it.

NEWS 2: (BEST NEWS)...  I am able to calculate the Western Digital hard drive passwords!  It required ZERO change in the code.  It ended up being the way WD reports it's serial number.   The Serial number section is 20 bytes.  Seagate just has serial number and ends.  WD fills the remain space with NULL bytes.  So adding 5 NULL bytes to the end of the serial number caused it to correctly give the password.  So... everyone that already has a PicoPromSD... no updated needed.   I'm uploading a video right now that shows this in action.  once it's uploaded and processed... I'll post a link here.

@Bowlsnapper @GoTeamScotch @SS_Dave @FrostyMaGee

IMG_7780.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 10/23/2023 at 8:42 PM, Dtomcat18 said:

Great progress!!!!

News 1:  made a better pogo pin adapter.  No real change in the 3D model... just the pins themselves.  I HIGHLY recommend the use of P75-E3 pogo pins.  My other pins were just about the same size as the LPC holes and would sometimes go through.  These new ones work great and can keep pressure without fear of going through the holes!  Attaching an image of the new one with the old pogo pin next to it.

NEWS 2: (BEST NEWS)...  I am able to calculate the Western Digital hard drive passwords!  It required ZERO change in the code.  It ended up being the way WD reports it's serial number.   The Serial number section is 20 bytes.  Seagate just has serial number and ends.  WD fills the remain space with NULL bytes.  So adding 5 NULL bytes to the end of the serial number caused it to correctly give the password.  So... everyone that already has a PicoPromSD... no updated needed.   I'm uploading a video right now that shows this in action.  once it's uploaded and processed... I'll post a link here.

@Bowlsnapper @GoTeamScotch @SS_Dave @FrostyMaGee

IMG_7780.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation on the pogo pins! I had the older kind and used it initially but ordered some of the other kind and remade my adapter. The P75-E3 definitely work better with the lpc port connection. :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a customer's system and they needed to move their insignia/ Xbox live account to another system that wasn't dying. The only problem was when I put their hard drive in the new system, the Xbox live account wasn't showing up. This is because the serial number and HDD key stored in this new system's EEPROM did not match the ones that the live account was created with. So I had to extract the EEPROM of the old console, extract the EEPROM of the new console, edit the eprom.bin of the new console with Live Info Beta 3, and then load it into the picoprom and then flash the new console with the old consoles serial number and HDD key, which I just copied and pasted from the output of the picoprom that was created when ripping the old console. Everything else stayed the same, as it was a 1.1 and the previous version was a 1.0 and I didn't wanna fuck with anything else.

It worked. 

IMG-20231209-030631-01.jpg

The XBL account now shows up in the MS dash and has become usable and, most importantly, the EEPROM was successfully edited or I could not have done it. @Dtomcat18

FUCK I love this thing! Buy one!

PXL-20231209-114251508-2.jpg

18 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Via menus and using CC info (found by logging on to insignia via web browser 

Ive done a recovery before on my X3 Box, because it was the same mobo and just a new HDD, but I couldn't do it on the new mobo with a new HDD and I assumed this is why... At the very least I learned that this is why the profile was no longer showing up on the old HDD. 

I wanted to ask them for more account information because I felt like I was missing something and then I decided it was this that was preventing the recovery and what was responsible for the recovery error I was seeing. You can't do it if the HDD Key and serial are not the originals. It will prevent recovery.

Edit: I also had to copy over the Online Key in order for Insignia to communicate with the box. I wrote it into the EEPROM bin and then flashed again with the picoprom. It now connects to Insignia.

So for anybody trying to transfer over a HDD with an XBL profile in it to a new machine:

HDD Key, Serial Number and Online Key.

The you, Cat.