OGXbox.com

substituting original Xbox DVD drive with PC DVD drive?

Tartarus

1 hour ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Right, the point with he yellow wire applies only to any other pc DVD drive. 

But again, on the XBox site nothing checks for the number and the xbox isn't even able to tell the drive something about the key. So nulling it is yeah - more or less.  So you would need, if passoible or needed at all, to remove the entire check if for it if the DVD drives  waits for commends. I simply think it's just in the firmware of the xbox but who am I. 

And yes, there is a programmer for 360 drives and I have both of the xecuter versions here. (Bad behavior on my side modding 360 as well). 

And yes, the drive DVD firmware is there but, you know, how you like to flash it to soming whcih isn't able to do anthing with it? The HL drive firmware works on LG drives because of the fact that the controllers are more or less the same (Same for the Samsung mods with samsung firmware) and that the panasonic chips which are on those drives are famous for that they are (Naughty Panasonic.).  And a little hint, you don't need your caps, because the firmware is also on my installer so yeah....

And the USB thing, forget it. It will never work until you find a way to rewrite the xbox os. There is no driver attached for it for the controller ports which are just and only for controller and usb sticks, no matter how ard you try. And tbh. who wants an usb 1.1 speed (for real) DVD when he can simply play from hdd? Let me make a guess here. 1 of 1.000.000 ppl. And even that 1 person (Probably you) will do it 1 time and after that never ever again.

DVD becomes more and more useless simply because of the fact of fatxplorer and anyone can mod an xbox without it. Game DVD's are also die so why? If I need a drive that badly, I hook up a PC Drive for a short run and fine or buy an laser for the samsung or hl drive on ali & co or I buy an replacement xbox for 5-10 bucks. You put more into it to find a solution for something no one realy has a problem with. Would it be nice? Maybe. Is it worth it under any circumstances? ( Let me thing super duper hard) - No. 

Yes. The idea is good, but poor swim is hoping the solution to this problem with be almost handed to him through some mistake of similarity or lax security measures. This needs to be done the hard way swim: Finding a similar drive and reverse engineering it. :(

2 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Right, the point with he yellow wire applies only to any other pc DVD drive. 

But again, on the XBox site nothing checks for the number and the xbox isn't even able to tell the drive something about the key. So nulling it is yeah - more or less.  So you would need, if passoible or needed at all, to remove the entire check if for it if the DVD drives  waits for commends. I simply think it's just in the firmware of the xbox but who am I. 

And yes, there is a programmer for 360 drives and I have both of the xecuter versions here. (Bad behavior on my side modding 360 as well). 

And yes, the drive DVD firmware is there but, you know, how you like to flash it to soming whcih isn't able to do anthing with it? The HL drive firmware works on LG drives because of the fact that the controllers are more or less the same (Same for the Samsung mods with samsung firmware) and that the panasonic chips which are on those drives are famous for that they are (Naughty Panasonic.).  And a little hint, you don't need your caps, because the firmware is also on my installer so yeah....

And the USB thing, forget it. It will never work until you find a way to rewrite the xbox os. There is no driver attached for it for the controller ports which are just and only for controller and usb sticks, no matter how ard you try. And tbh. who wants an usb 1.1 speed (for real) DVD when he can simply play from hdd? Let me make a guess here. 1 of 1.000.000 ppl. And even that 1 person (Probably you) will do it 1 time and after that never ever again.

DVD becomes more and more useless simply because of the fact of fatxplorer and anyone can mod an xbox without it. Game DVD's are also die so why? If I need a drive that badly, I hook up a PC Drive for a short run and fine or buy an laser for the samsung or hl drive on ali & co or I buy an replacement xbox for 5-10 bucks. You put more into it to find a solution for something no one realy has a problem with. Would it be nice? Maybe. Is it worth it under any circumstances? ( Let me thing super duper hard) - No. 

Free entertainment ahead of the weekend, thanks Karen! I’m gunna keep on 😁 Happy Fixing! 

40 minutes ago, icanswim70 said:

Free entertainment ahead of the weekend, thanks Karen! I’m gunna keep on 😁 Happy Fixing! 

Lol, that is NOT an example of a Karen... Sweet knows his stuff.

This will not be handed to us by means of just connecting the wires and choosing the right firmware. It will take reverse engineering and time... And a very WELL chosen drive. I like the optical drives too. They offer much convenience. I hope the scene can pull it off!

22 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

The quote ran strait into a wall so the server cant find it.

Waste of time Snappy. He didn't even understand that nulling the dvd drive key on a 360 is not even needed to connect it to PC or an old xbox (if possible). The DVD drive key of the 360 drive is in the 360's nand which get compared by the 360. So you can basicly use the drive on every PC without nulling the key. There are several ways to do it. He should may do his homework first, However, I will not discourage him, why should I but, he's running blind around not lissening to anyone who tells him " that ain't work". And simply thats the problem with him. He can swim so he can swim around the world - So he thinks. So lets watch him doing until he is willing to listen and learn. 

However. I wish him luck. He will more than need it

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, soilengreen said:

Hi, LG 8163B is a better choice. I have been modified +15

Yes, but rare and expensive. I have 3 ready to go, but they will run out... We want a modern, more plentiful solution... That we can flash without performing a voodoo ritual.

Heh, Soylent Green...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have the replacement part, and got the terminals desoldered nicely. This particular laser has a ripped trace where the trace bends. I need to jump a wire for the trace with the arrow. That wire is between 2 solder points. When I look closely it appears they go to the same point (second picture). Does anyone know if I bridge the 2 points in picture 1 it will be correct? 

IMG_0527-compressed.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icanswim70 said:

So I have the replacement part, and got the terminals desoldered nicely. This particular laser has a ripped trace where the trace bends. I need to jump a wire for the trace with the arrow. That wire is between 2 solder points. When I look closely it appears they go to the same point (second picture). Does anyone know if I bridge the 2 points in picture 1 it will be correct? 

IMG_0527-compressed.jpeg

image.jpg

You're trying to replace a dead diode with a diode that has no hours on it, correct?

11 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Not a bad idea. How did you source the diode though?

Short answer is carefully. 

took me a few weeks to settle on a value since no one has attempted this before. When I found the suggested value based on what other electronics use, I found one that looks identical to the original. I have my throwaway game in case the value is incorrect. 

Just need to jump the trace in my picture before giving this a go.

1 hour ago, icanswim70 said:

Short answer is carefully. 

took me a few weeks to settle on a value since no one has attempted this before. When I found the suggested value based on what other electronics use, I found one that looks identical to the original. I have my throwaway game in case the value is incorrect. 

Just need to jump the trace in my picture before giving this a go.

...What. Like, in case the laser burns the metal? lol. Holy hell. That's a very narrow tolerance for failure. :) Is that how unforgiving the values can be when off by a small amount? I know 5W is okay and anything over 10W can burn, I think.

If this works, it would be great. Especially if the diode is cheap and the labor is easy, as long as we're not ripping traces. 😛

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 1:55 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

...What. Like, in case the laser burns the metal? lol. Holy hell. That's a very narrow tolerance for failure. :) Is that how unforgiving the values can be when off by a small amount? I know 5W is okay and anything over 10W can burn, I think.

If this works, it would be great. Especially if the diode is cheap and the labor is easy, as long as we're not ripping traces. 😛

So today was the day I finally did the swap. Not gunna lie, it took most of the day since I had to pull the laser, disassemble, install, reassemble, and finally test the thing. 

So 650 nm, 3 terminal diode, did not work, YET. The soldering is a PITA since I have about a millimeter to work with, and even less than that to cause a short. 

disc didn’t launch, it gave the usual error. I think my soldering may need a redo but it’s at least the first successful attempt from start to finish.

Heres the pictures, if you see any problems please please please let me know so I can go back. If you can look past the one terminal that got away from me does the soldering look like it does the job? IMG_0588.thumb.jpeg.7183c8209fd6a8d54eee79fc8a1a217c.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

… reflowing the solder didn’t work. I’m thinking either the value is wrong (650 nm @ 5mw) of perhaps this diode wasn’t using a red beam… 

I had a 360 on the workbench needing a laser replacement, and upon looking at the replacement laser it appears to be using the same diode as the OG!!! So my next venture is trying to get a value from potential third party manufacturers that could very well already have the information I need.

Az for your question snapper: I use a super cheap soldering iron I bought to restore a pinball machine in 2018. But it does the job. I use a hakko FR 301 desoldering gun as it makes everything SOOOOOOOO much easier. And when you can only use one hand, every gadget helps! 

It’s Not too difficult, just takes patience and a steady hand. 

Like the others, I'm not here to dissuade you from your quest..... and it IS a quest.

Many moons ago circa 2002 onwards as xbox-scene developed (yes it was a great site) the DVD replacements were already being done, the firmware swaps to 616 PC drives and the LG one too. Also other PC drives to play backups etc.... I was one who found the elusive 'z' point on the Sonys at the time, but anyway I digress...

You will find, as the others and Prehistoric has told you, firmware is key - simple as that. Its binary, old, tedious and takes a lot of time.

Yes there are very talented guys out there that can do it...

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67897

Also see the Gotek, same sort of thing.

They will all want paying for their work & time (usually) unless they are just keen, interested and like a challenge.

As far as your say Samsung Xbox drive that's gone duff, I can tell you more often than not, it's not the laser, it's the PCB. There are two versions of the board as well just for that model. I had the service manual for a near identical model and again, as previously said, the firmware source is not available, so will need reverse engineering.

Tattiebogle obviously knows his shit. But look what he charges for the arcade one! See where this is going...?

If you really want to run genuine discs then another angle maybe rather then trying to manipulate PCB hardware firmware (difficult) you could maybe look at running a PC dvd drive to actually recognise and spin up a retail game disc - that's where it may be best to start. The trouble with that is the drives firmware won't accept the Xbox disc... that's gonna be your first primary hurdle before anything else.

People like the 'dangerous brothers' used to do this work in the past (long gone) for region free changes to drives etc and better performance on DVD burners for example. These are the types of guys you need to find.

<taken voice> Good luck!

1 hour ago, trencherfield said:

and here's the last PC dvd drive mod for the 8164 LG which will read an Xbox disc with the DVD drive still in the PC. Works in the xbox of course as well. Think it had a few minor issues with a couple of retail games (layers?) but runs sweet mostly.
Done by MrPresident.

https://assemblergames.org/viewtopic.php?t=59732

I think that was referred to as the Kreon drive, if my memory serves correctly over the last 17 years.

10 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I think that was referred to as the Kreon drive, if my memory serves correctly over the last 17 years.

It's just an LG 8164b dvd drive. I have a few of them. I also have the PCB's to make the Xbox dvd fit the same so it just plugs in.

The Kreon drive is a different system and you need to find a suitable dvd drive, see here >

http://forum.redump.org/topic/6073/xbox-1-360-dumping-instructions/

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 1:12 PM, trencherfield said:

It's just an LG 8164b dvd drive. I have a few of them. I also have the PCB's to make the Xbox dvd fit the same so it just plugs in.

I agree there's no need to beat yourself in the face with a brick trying to reinvent the wheel

That's fantastic thank you for that information

Edited by Tartarus