OGXbox.com

Error Code 16

UserFriendly

So I bought a modded xbox with an Xecutor 2.3b Lite. When I got it home I launched it with the chip enabled and with it disabled and both worked as expected. I have no idea what dashboard or bios is being used as those are things I am still not at all familiar with. I took it apart to remove the clock capacitor and to reapply thermal paste and now when I launch I get an error code 16.

Everything I read about this error has to do with not finding a menu setting to set the clock of the HDD or erasing of files on the HDD but I did none of this as I don't really know how to yet. Was this a result of removing the clock capacitor? I have removed others in my other Xbox's without this issue, this is the first modded xbox I have touched when doing these casual repairs. Could I have possibly reinstalled the chip incorrectly after I put the xbox back together?

Any help appreciated, anything I look up about this error code just doesn't line up with what I did and the suggestions for fixing get into territories I haven't touched yet, I was literally about to make a post asking how to identify what bios this modded xbox had and if it was right for what I intend to do with it but then this occured.

4 hours ago, UserFriendly said:

So I bought a modded xbox with an Xecutor 2.3b Lite. When I got it home I launched it with the chip enabled and with it disabled and both worked as expected. I have no idea what dashboard or bios is being used as those are things I am still not at all familiar with. I took it apart to remove the clock capacitor and to reapply thermal paste and now when I launch I get an error code 16.

Everything I read about this error has to do with not finding a menu setting to set the clock of the HDD or erasing of files on the HDD but I did none of this as I don't really know how to yet. Was this a result of removing the clock capacitor? I have removed others in my other Xbox's without this issue, this is the first modded xbox I have touched when doing these casual repairs. Could I have possibly reinstalled the chip incorrectly after I put the xbox back together?

Any help appreciated, anything I look up about this error code just doesn't line up with what I did and the suggestions for fixing get into territories I haven't touched yet, I was literally about to make a post asking how to identify what bios this modded xbox had and if it was right for what I intend to do with it but then this occured.

So it's not booting with the chip enabled?

Error 16 should not occur when booting from a modchip with a non standard bios.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

So it's not booting with the chip enabled?

Error 16 should not occur when booting from a modchip with a non standard bios.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Maybe I installed the chip incorrectly? Instead of wires it has these spikes coming out of the part that connects to the board and fits into holes on the board. There are some wires hanging off of it but they were not connected to anything on the board that I could see.

On some older site I found instructions on installing this chip and there was something said about one of those wires needs to connect to the d0 point? The pictures are such bad quality that I can't quite tell what on the board it is connecting to. It wasn't soldered to anything when I took the chip off to clean the board. The guide mentions just taping it down but there was no tape either.

20210425_210914.jpg

20210425_210853.jpg

Yes it's a solderless adaptor

solderless.jpg.f9d7a0105e0794986f91b34a5665c5e7.jpg

The small copper wire gets connected to the D0 on the main board and looking at the pics it will be a version 1.2-1.4

You fit the chip with the screw the bent the stiff copper wire to sit in the D0 point on the board, I found if you have the wire lined up wire the hole then loosen the chip and bend the wire down so it gets pushed in to the D0 hole in the board.

From memory the gray wire is also for the D0 and would be used if you wanted to solder it on so in this application it's not needed and just either unplug it or tape up the end.

901256715_D0points1.png.80389f0c81584ad40e78e0c1f54456db.png

If it was here I would flash the on board bios and keep the modchip for a version 1.6 or at least fit a pin header and ditch the solderless adaptor.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 4/25/2021 at 9:58 PM, SS_Dave said:

Yes it's a solderless adaptor

solderless.jpg.f9d7a0105e0794986f91b34a5665c5e7.jpg

The small copper wire gets connected to the D0 on the main board and looking at the pics it will be a version 1.2-1.4

You fit the chip with the screw the bent the stiff copper wire to sit in the D0 point on the board, I found if you have the wire lined up wire the hole then loosen the chip and bend the wire down so it gets pushed in to the D0 hole in the board.

From memory the gray wire is also for the D0 and would be used if you wanted to solder it on so in this application it's not needed and just either unplug it or tape up the end.

901256715_D0points1.png.80389f0c81584ad40e78e0c1f54456db.png

If it was here I would flash the on board bios and keep the modchip for a version 1.6 or at least fit a pin header and ditch the solderless adaptor.

Cheers

SS Dave

I still have no idea how to flash any bios or even figure out what bios is currently on the chip but hopefully when I correctly connect this mod chip back up I can do that haha. Thank you.

On 4/25/2021 at 11:46 PM, KaosEngineer said:

According to which modified Xbox BIOS is booting from the modchip, it may not include the error 16 fix.  

And, when it was modded, the original installer may have not installed the stock MS dashboard onto the hard drive.

When it booted before I cleaned it up, I could boot both the stock dash and the modded dash.

You need to combine the 2 bios files in to 1 file before you flash to the chip

https://1fichier.com/?q3x05fl5xww1oockyy47

This program can be used to combine the 2 bios's in to a 1meg file then you can use just about any modchip/tsop flash program to flash with.

I have the EvoxM8 and Ind5004 on my chip.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 4/27/2021 at 7:03 PM, SS_Dave said:

You need to combine the 2 bios files in to 1 file before you flash to the chip

https://1fichier.com/?q3x05fl5xww1oockyy47

This program can be used to combine the 2 bios's in to a 1meg file then you can use just about any modchip/tsop flash program to flash with.

I have the EvoxM8 and Ind5004 on my chip.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thank you so much! Just got around to get some time to solder that wire on and it boots with the chip enabled but with the chip disabled it still gives an error 16. Not sure what that is about but I wouldn't mind doing what you suggest and putting this chip on a 1.6 or whatever version would be best for my situation. I wouldn't mind trying to figure out why this won't boot with the chip disabled if you have any thoughts. Also thank you for the link, I will get that program. 

When you boot with the mod chip off (Disabled) it is trying to load the original dash so you could get on Xbox Live without getting banned so in my view there is no need to boot with the chip disabled any more.

Error Code 16

Problem: Internal clock cannot be set.

Cause/Solution: This happens when the Xbox tries to boot to the stock dashboard in order to have you set the current date/time. but fails to load the menu. This happens if you:

Just replaced the HDD and are missing your clock capacitor or left your Xbox unplugged for a few hours.

Erased the Microsoft dashboard files (which contain the clock setting) and are missing your clock capacitor or left your Xbox unplugged for a few hours.

Have a revision 1.6 Xbox and an old (before 2004) BIOS installed without a clock loop patch and are missing your clock capacitor.

To fix this, first try plugging in an Ethernet cable to connect your Xbox to your router. In some cases, the Xbox will update it's system clock via NTP. If that fails, try starting the Xbox with the Eject button instead of the power button in case it has a dual-boot configuration. If that fails and you have a modchip installed, boot into AID or Slayers and try installing the stock dashboard back on your HDD's C:\ partition. You can also hotswap your HDD with another Xbox to reinstall the Microsoft dashboard. After the Xbox boots up and is able to set the clock successfully, update your BIOS or softmod to a more recent version to avoid this in the future.

I would re-flash the on board BIOS (TSOP Chip) and you really only need one bios these days and then you could fit that chip to a version 1.6 board without the solderless adaptor.

Cheers

SS Dave

18 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

When you boot with the mod chip off (Disabled) it is trying to load the original dash so you could get on Xbox Live without getting banned so in my view there is no need to boot with the chip disabled any more.

Error Code 16

Problem: Internal clock cannot be set.

Cause/Solution: This happens when the Xbox tries to boot to the stock dashboard in order to have you set the current date/time. but fails to load the menu. This happens if you:

Just replaced the HDD and are missing your clock capacitor or left your Xbox unplugged for a few hours.

Erased the Microsoft dashboard files (which contain the clock setting) and are missing your clock capacitor or left your Xbox unplugged for a few hours.

Have a revision 1.6 Xbox and an old (before 2004) BIOS installed without a clock loop patch and are missing your clock capacitor.

To fix this, first try plugging in an Ethernet cable to connect your Xbox to your router. In some cases, the Xbox will update it's system clock via NTP. If that fails, try starting the Xbox with the Eject button instead of the power button in case it has a dual-boot configuration. If that fails and you have a modchip installed, boot into AID or Slayers and try installing the stock dashboard back on your HDD's C:\ partition. You can also hotswap your HDD with another Xbox to reinstall the Microsoft dashboard. After the Xbox boots up and is able to set the clock successfully, update your BIOS or softmod to a more recent version to avoid this in the future.

I would re-flash the on board BIOS (TSOP Chip) and you really only need one bios these days and then you could fit that chip to a version 1.6 board without the solderless adaptor.

Cheers

SS Dave

Do I need a mod chip to flash the on board BIOS? 

3 hours ago, UserFriendly said:

Do I need a mod chip to flash the on board BIOS? 

To easily flash the onboard bios you need to boot from the hard drive without the modchip enabled, The Xbox can only reflash the on board bios chip if it boots from it.

To do that the hard drive need to be locked and most people have the Xbox soft modded.

I have 2 methods of flashing a Xbox.

If the Xbox is stock

Add the 2 links to the board

Copy the game save I have that loads a bios reflash program to the Xbox and then load the game and run the game save.

Reflash the bios, Job done.

If the Xbox has a non working hard drive

I temporary fit a mod chip and lock a spare stock hard drive to the main board that has the games saves on it.

Then remove the mod chip, Boot the Xbox with the game in the DVD, Flash the Xbox

Reboot the Xbox and unlock the hard drive ready for the next time,  Job done.

After doing that you can now fit your new HDD and load your installation disk or in my case I have a fully loaded 2tb HDD that I have already cloned to fit in it.

The other way is a Xblast mod chip and that can flash some bios chips or remove the bios chip(TSOP) and use a external programmer.

Cheers

SS Dave

17 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

If the Xbox has a non working hard drive

I temporary fit a mod chip and lock a spare stock hard drive to the main board that has the games saves on it.

Then remove the mod chip, Boot the Xbox with the game in the DVD, Flash the Xbox

Reboot the Xbox and unlock the hard drive ready for the next time,  Job done.

After doing that you can now fit your new HDD and load your installation disk or in my case I have a fully loaded 2tb HDD that I have already cloned to fit in it.

It looks like I will have to do this. Long term though I would like to fit all my Xbox's with modchips so I do not have to worry about the disk drive failing. I have no reason to keep a stock Xbox but there are some things I want to do such as being able to force 480p through component for everything if that is possible. 

On my modchip I see the lock and unlock options, is that possibly why this Xbox won't boot the OG dashboard? Because I unlocked it somehow? The original dash used to load before I took it apart.

The lock/unlock on the modchip is to prevent the chip from been reflashed and not the hard drive locking.

On 5/3/2021 at 8:26 AM, SS_Dave said:

Have a revision 1.6 Xbox and an older (before 2004) BIOS installed without a clock loop patch and are missing your clock capacitor.

Error 16 has been a problem since early days of modding and since I always wire modchips to be always active or flash the onboard bios I have not had a problem with error 16. Did you try having the Xbox plugged in to your home network?

If the hard drive was unlocked you would be getting error 5 as this is the hard drive is not locked.

Cheers

SS Dave

19 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The lock/unlock on the modchip is to prevent the chip from been reflashed and not the hard drive locking.

Error 16 has been a problem since early days of modding and since I always wire modchips to be always active or flash the onboard bios I have not had a problem with error 16. Did you try having the Xbox plugged in to your home network?

If the hard drive was unlocked you would be getting error 5 as this is the hard drive is not locked.

Cheers

SS Dave

No I haven't done anything. Maybe I am misremembering launching the stock dashboard but I am fairly certain I tried to launch both to get a feel for how the modchip worked. Either way, I would like to for now return this board to its stock settings and then probably try a TSOP flash on it so I'll look into starting that. I'll probably start a new thread if I run into issues with that. Thank you for your help.

Edited by UserFriendly

Rebuilding the C drive should fix it then as long as the hard drive is locked you can boot the stock dash.

FTP the C drive contents to the Xbox C drive

https://1fichier.com/?grff52yo3nijbf8qh58c

Or load a install disk and use the rebuild stock drive option

Cheers

SS Dave

On 5/5/2021 at 5:08 PM, SS_Dave said:

Rebuilding the C drive should fix it then as long as the hard drive is locked you can boot the stock dash.

FTP the C drive contents to the Xbox C drive

https://1fichier.com/?grff52yo3nijbf8qh58c

Or load a install disk and use the rebuild stock drive option

Cheers

SS Dave

Is there a way I can see the current contents of the C drive? I want to check if I am crazy or not because I am almost certain this booted the stock dash before I messed with it.