Jump to content

Xbox 1.0 fan header not working


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, madmon said:

Hey so I have a 1.0 and the main fan header isn't working. Can I just replace the mosfet or is there a greater issue? 

I personally have never had the fan driver fail.

Are you sure the fan is working, you could try plugging it on the GPU fan socket and see if it works as that's straight from the 12 volt supply.

 

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I personally have never had the fan driver fail.

Are you sure the fan is working, you could try plugging it on the GPU fan socket and see if it works as that's straight from the 12 volt supply.

 

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yup when I opened the Xbox up the fan was spliced into the GPU fan cable. I figured someone was just doing a 12v mod, after unsoldering it and crimping a new female fan connector I realized the header wasnt working. I even tested the fan out side of the case and tried a different fan, no luck it's definitely the fan header. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fan driver is a NPN transistor rated at 1amp.

I would get your multimeter in to action and test the center pin it should have 12 volt (10.9 - 12.2)

Then flip the board and test the the emitter to ground it should read close to 0 ohm (0 - 1 ohm)

The collector should read close to 0 ohm to pin 1 and 3 of the fan connector

The base goes to a 450k ohm resistor on the top of the board between the fan connector and the edge of the PCB

730111463_Xboxfandriver.PNG.fafc3556f22aea2350570eaf2fda4ebc.PNG

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The fan driver is a NPN transistor rated at 1amp.

I would get your multimeter in to action and test the center pin it should have 12 volt (10.9 - 12.2)

Then flip the board and test the the emitter to ground it should read close to 0 ohm (0 - 1 ohm)

The collector should read close to 0 ohm to pin 1 and 3 of the fan connector

The base goes to a 450k ohm resistor on the top of the board between the fan connector and the edge of the PCB

730111463_Xboxfandriver.PNG.fafc3556f22aea2350570eaf2fda4ebc.PNG

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks for this Dave. The old transistor wasn't working and the ground on the fan header had no connection, I jumps a wire to test it and the fan ramped up to full speed. I ended up pulling a transistor from a dead motherboard I have and now the fan speed is locked at 12v, I removed the ground jumper I had.  So there's something else going on just not sure where to start looking, the Xbox reads temps just fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you do the tests I posted?

The fan speed is controlled by varying the ground so when the Xbox is off there will be no ground

The pins 1 and 3 on the fan connector will not go directly to ground even at 100% fan speed.

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Did you do the tests I posted?

The fan speed is controlled by varying the ground so when the Xbox is off there will be no ground

The pins 1 and 3 on the fan connector will not go directly to ground even at 100% fan speed.

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Testing the transistor (removed the replacement I put in and putboth the original and one in from another dead 1.0 board) 1&3 pins are 0ohm and pin 2 has 12v going to it. Seems as if I am not getting a signal to pin 1&3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, madmon said:

Testing the transistor (removed the replacement I put in and putboth the original and one in from another dead 1.0 board) 1&3 pins are 0ohm and pin 2 has 12v going to it. Seems as if I am not getting a signal to pin 1&3.

Is that with the Xbox powered off?

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Is that with the Xbox powered off?

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Checked the supply voltage while it was on and the neg leads while it was off since I needed the board flipped upside down. Should I be testing while it's live? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

1 hour ago, madmon said:

Checked the supply voltage while it was on and the neg leads while it was off since I needed the board flipped upside down. Should I be testing while it's live? 

No power off the pins 1and 3 should be open circuit with the power off

It sounds like a short some where, can you post a pic of the bottom of the board around the fan connector.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Can you test across capacitor C3N2

It that reeds 0 ohm then remove it and then test pin1/3 to ground again.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Testing across the cap I got no reading. Testing grounds to to ground I get 0.1ohm(ground pad of c3n2). The cap is reading 1.1uf. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

All the red dots should test 0 ohm to each other and not to ground

IMG_20210115_132925.thumb.jpg.a0b16bada486be8edd825cca8f8ec396.jpg.f48e3eb25a94628a5950f5cd07cf859d.jpg  PXL_20210116_005748384.jpg.1f0cda5f0cc7e0efebf7319a6547c436.jpg

Can you test for 0ohm between all the red dots with the board fully disconnected

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

 

 

 

4-6 = 0.3ohm

1-3 = 0.1ohm

1-2 = 0.0ohm

2-3 = 0.0ohm

3-4 = 0.3ohm

Across cap c3n2 = OL

 

Edit didn't see the black arrows 

Black arrow to black arrow - 0.0ohm

Edited by madmon
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The pin on the transistor between 2 and 3 on the bottom should test 0 ohm to the yellow dot on the top.

PXL_20210116_014435985.jpg.1daf1ec7bf8d68ceec6e0652652c5e65.jpg

And that resistor should test as 100 ohm

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yup 100ohms 

 

Can I just splice the fan into the 12v and 5v SATA converter and run it at 7v safely. Or are we getting close to fixing this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madmon said:

Can I just splice the fan into the 12v and 5v SATA converter and run it at 7v safely

No 

Did you test for 0 ohm from the yellow to the base of the transistor.

730111463_Xboxfandriver.PNG.fafc3556f22aea2350570eaf2fda4ebc.PNG

Alost what bios is it using? The fan speed is not set to 0 is it?

 

 

Other wise you could get a 6 volt reg (7806) and run the fan off that or possibly a 9 volt reg (7809) and run it off the 12 volt for the GPU or HDD supply.

L7809-Pinout.png.124a968cca2f6eda16f5e74681305038.png

That way the fan is not running full speed.

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

No 

Did you test for 0 ohm from the yellow to the base of the transistor.

730111463_Xboxfandriver.PNG.fafc3556f22aea2350570eaf2fda4ebc.PNG

Alost what bios is it using? The fan speed is not set to 0 is it?

 

 

Other wise you could get a 6 volt reg (7806) and run the fan off that or possibly a 9 volt reg (7809) and run it off the 12 volt for the GPU or HDD supply.

L7809-Pinout.png.124a968cca2f6eda16f5e74681305038.png

That way the fan is not running full speed.

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

 

 

X2 bios, fan isn't set to zero it's set to the standard speed. I did test and get 0 ohm. 

Why isn't it okay to use the 12v and 5v on the molex? Alot of people used to do it on older PCs. Just asking so I know. I was thinking just to wire in a pot and adjust the fan manually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, madmon said:

Can I just splice the fan into the 12v and 5v SATA converter and run it at 7v safely

The way I read this is you plan on connecting the red from the fan to the 12 volt  and the black from the fan to the 5 volt to get your 7 volt. If the fan ever shorted out you would be putting 12 volt on the 5 volt supply and that would be BAD. Plus you are going to passably be introducing interference on the 5 volt supply.

By the time you get a variable resistor that can handle the current of the fan under load you might as well just get a voltage regulator.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The way I read this is you plan on connecting the red from the fan to the 12 volt  and the black from the fan to the 5 volt to get your 7 volt. If the fan ever shorted out you would be putting 12 volt on the 5 volt supply and that would be BAD. Plus you are going to passably be introducing interference on the 5 volt supply.

By the time you get a variable resistor that can handle the current of the fan under load you might as well just get a voltage regulator.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you very much for all your help. You really went above and beyond for me. Even though it didn't workout I still appreciate you spending all that time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By karasu1981
      hello guys, i'm new and i'm really desperate to find a scheme for an xbox with 1.0 board...i only find scheme or videos for 1.6 ... i'm stuck
      i'm following this tutorial but ofc the board is different and i dunno which cable go where
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZOVTKGeDk
    • By Krassi
      Hello, guys
      Today I updated my softmoded Xbox with Rocky5 softmod and xbmx4gamers ...everything was ok, until I started to download artwork downloader which is over 600 mb and placed it in E:
      In the same time I uploaded a game with size of 4gb by mistake in E: again instead of F:
      So, now the xbox starts green animation and flashes like to start the dashboard, but continue on black screen.
      My only suggestion is that I consumed the entire E: and on that drive  is the xbmc4gamers folder, too....I dont know, but if the dashboard need some space on start maybe that cause the black screen...any ideas to help???
      Also, is it possible to connect the hdd to a pc and xplorer360 app to erace that game from E: and to make some space on that drive???
      Any help is welcome!
      Thank you in advance!!!
    • By bolofski
      Hi, i purchased a faulty 1.6 xbox which was modded with xecuter 3 and the front control panel, the xbox was powering up but no sign of life on the chip or front panel, upon inspection the lpc rebuild board wasnt installed straight, it seemed to be slightly skew, i didnt really have the proper kit to remove and reseat the lpc rebuild board so i desoldered everything else and re-installed it all into a 1.4 so no need for the lpc board, i now have signs of life on the chip (chip lights up blue) and the front control panel (logo lights red and hdd activity light blinks) however i cant get the chip to enable, ive tried the bank switches in various positions, short press, long press, if i try pressing eject and power together the xbox frags once then powers up normally but the logo light is always red, ive retried all my solder points on the lpc / d0 but to no avail, anyone have any ideas anything else i could try?  thanks

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.