Sign in to follow this  
titchgamer

Pulling Clock Cap From Crystal XBoX.

G'day guys,

Just a quick one, Today I aquired a Crystal XBOX, I was under the impression they were all 1.6 but after I soft mod'd its ID'ing it as a 1.4?
From what I have read this may mean its actually a 1.5 as it was manufactured in 2004.

So I know I need to pull the clock cap (which appears dead anyway) But I have opened her up and thankfully no damage to the board that I can see but its a different cap layout to the ones I have pulled before.
Or is this actually a 1.6 and I can leave it be?

So can you confirm its this cap I need to pull out?

cVvXQd4.jpg

As you can see the board is totally filthy so tomorrow I intend on pulling the cap and giving it a good blow out :)

Cheers.

Edited by titchgamer

Just now, sweetdarkdestiny said:

It's an 1.4 and yes you can de-solder the clock cap.

Cheers, Just to confirm its the cap I have highlighted correct?

Hello,

please take some time to clean the board, the clocxk capacitor has already leaked. Use IPA, first remove the board from case, to properly clean it.

bye

On 8/30/2020 at 8:50 PM, Benur75 said:

Hello,

please take some time to clean the board, the clocxk capacitor has already leaked. Use IPA, first remove the board from case, to properly clean it.

bye

Dont worry I gave it a pretty good clean with IPA.
The machine in general was absolutely filthy (pic did not do it justice) Thankfully the acid leakage was minimal but the dust was stuck to the board pretty good!

I also replaced the thermal paste for the CPU/GPU.

Thanks for the initial question and helpful confirmation that it is indeed 1.4 with the cap. I have similar device and will remove the cap too :) 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By bulkchart32
      Please login or register to see this link.  please click that link so that u can see a video of what i'm talking about. you'll notice that there are vertical static(static as in fuzzy static on a tv not, static as in "unchanging") lines on the screen when there is a dark scene. the video doesn't show it too well but they are even easier to see in person. that is the opening sequence of xmen legends. i have this problem on 2 of my stock xbox v1.0's and on my modded v1.4(i also have the diagonal lines on it). the lines do not appear on my v1.6's. i've tried it on 2 stock and one modded 1.6 and none of the 3 have the problem. i am connected thru the official hd xbox thing(with the component cable outputs). i'm wondering if it is an issue with certain capacitors that cause this? if so, does anyone know which specific ones cause it? the reason i ask is because it would be a pain to fully recap each board of the xbox when they are functioning perfectly in all other areas so i'd rather just replace the specific ones instead of recapping the whole board. btw, none of the cap are bulging or show obvious wear. i know that the 1.4's are very prone to the diagonal lines because of bad caps but i don't which ones are the problem.
    • By hotwhelz
      just got one from goodwill it powers on as soon as its plugged it. i opened up and removed clock cap but still same thing. guess i gotta look for some bad traces now. wish me luck. trying to get my 6 and 8yr kids interested in it. 
    • By farrdeamer
      Hi all,
      I recently pulled my OG Xbox out of the garage to set it up for my 9yo to have a play on. Looking forwards to showing it off to her, I tested it and it worked fine but thought I had better remove the clock cap for safety (no leaking but checked to make sure). Then let her have a go at a game - worked fine. Then after rebooting, error 12.... 
      I took the drive and put it on the PC and quickly took an image of it using HDDRawcopy, which showed around 8 bad sectors and the drive was reporting SMART errors too, so it's toast.
      I got a larger SATA drive and put it in using an amazon purchase IDE-SATA adapter, but still get the error 12 - is there any way to read the drive on a PC and repair the damage/reinstall whatever is used to boot (as there was a lovely setup of xecutor2 dashboards on there I would rather not lose).
      Otherwise, if there is no way to recover it.  I tried using Tru Hexen 2020 to try and setup another drive, but the DVD won't boot (HDD is set to slave, I get error 17) 
      Any help gratefully appreciated (it's a hard modded unit- xectutor 2 from memory)...

Board Life Status

Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.