OGXbox.com

Getting Red and Green Dot Artifacts On All Games With My XBox

Samuel

Hello,

I am currently getting red and green flickering artifacts on my screen with all games with my Xbox. Not sure what the problem is. I have tried multiple different AV cables, televisions, and games thinking thinking that might have been the problem. But, it seems there is some major graphical error wrong with my Xbox, and googling the problem has not been easy. Does anyone know if there is a fix

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by Samuel

I am quite new to the ogxbox game, but as for version I am not quite sure which one I have as to specifically check I think I need to crack it open which I have never done with this xbox. Date of MFG is 2003-06-16

SN: 4022445 32505

Product ID: 142 4022445 32505

Hopefully this is helpful information. Would you recommend me cracking my xbox to see the CPU heatsink?

Yes you really need to open it up and remove the clock capacitor even if it is not leaking as it will start to leak.

I6dKE99.thumb.jpg.d7ab1a0133153a0995b76d6adb894c4e.jpg

The red arrow is pointing to the clock cap

The clock cap will mot cause the video problems but it can damage the circuit board.

The caps I am talking about are next to the power connector and CPU heatsink

IMG_20200526_050303.thumb.jpg.16cd424f6db115992da9e8fd3408b340.jpg

The red circled ones have failed and need to be replaced and the yellow ones look ok but I would replace all the ones in the green box.

To open the Xbox you will need a T20 torx and a T10 torx.

If you are not sure post a pic of the main board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Ok I got my xbox cracked open, now I just need to replace the caps specified and just straight up remove the clock cap. Here is a pic of the inside of my xbox, looks like no serious damage has been done yet, but still not sure if this is going to fix my graphical issues in game. Also, what capacitors should I order?

Thanks for the help I will keep you posted when I get this step done.

0?ui=2&ik=05d4274f76&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-3011757655621331232&th=1726392895745abc&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-5ABPONYRukSsWCVPZ9i-iGoNhM9RFd8fqNSWZAZsYT9HVJwyx6_0pehCYGezIdpANOaEtm0RYS_SWP_LQ41DqSOtvT7rE-TKTlUZr6MtSe5HzezrSPqx0Buw&disp=emb&realattid=172639221b563e6a2601

Edited by Samuel

51 minutes ago, Samuel said:

Ok I got my xbox cracked open, now I just need to replace the caps specified and just straight up remove the clock cap. Here is a pic of the inside of my xbox, looks like no serious damage has been done yet, but still not sure if this is going to fix my graphical issues in game. Also, what capacitors should I order?

Thanks for the help I will keep you posted when I get this step done.

0?ui=2&ik=05d4274f76&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-3011757655621331232&th=1726392895745abc&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-5ABPONYRukSsWCVPZ9i-iGoNhM9RFd8fqNSWZAZsYT9HVJwyx6_0pehCYGezIdpANOaEtm0RYS_SWP_LQ41DqSOtvT7rE-TKTlUZr6MtSe5HzezrSPqx0Buw&disp=emb&realattid=172639221b563e6a2601

If the cap is in the exact location as the one in the 1st pic you just remove it.

I can not see the image you posted 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hi Sam

That is a very clean version 1.2-1.3 main board.

You need to remove the clock cap it the one in the red circle. You can replace it but it's not really needed.

The caps in the yellow circle need to be replaced, I can see the top of the cap's are starting to bulge  and have reached the end of their life.

oDvvNbP.thumb.jpg.59c5d226bf4e99f6f8519811b941d7d1.jpg

If you want to b pass the 4 post per day limit have a look in the store tab as for the cost of a cup of coffee in a cafe it removes some of the limits.

Here is the update and I did everything you specified. I removed the clock capacitor and replaced the three bulging caps. Sadly I am still getting red and green dots on my screen. I have no idea where it is coming from. Here are update pics of my Xbox. 

D8B664BB-854B-482B-AF32-6885B2C9240A.jpeg

749B82D0-3170-4C40-8645-8B985D37047D.jpeg

What do you mean by AV lead? Is that the AV Cable? And as for cables I have 2 aftermarket cables one a cheap component and the other a s-video. I have recently ordered a nice psyclone component cable that should be here by Saturday, because I still think it could possibly be the cable. I wish I had a OEM cable to truly test it on or a second working xbox to truly prove if it is the cable. What other possibilities do you think it could be other than the cable?

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by Samuel

The no name AV leads are junk I think the cable you have ordered should fix the problem.

The work you have done on the Xbox was not wasted as the clock cap can cause damage and I see heaps of caps like the ones near the heatsink that have failed.

Post back with your results when the new lead arrives ..

Cheers

SS Dave

After further investigation of the problem, I really don't think it is the AV cables. Here are pictures of the artifacts coming up on my screen. They are as if it is in the game itself which is bringing me to the fact that it might be the CPU. If it was the cables the artifacts would look more like an overlay that is happening on the front of the screen, but these artifacts are in game. Here are the pics of my screen with two different games playing. I really don't want to replace the motherboard which is pretty much just replacing the xbox, but it is looking like that is the only way of fixing it.

https://imgur.com/a/ELZhnX3

https://imgur.com/a/tbQELgZ

To prove it’s not the tv. I have plugged in my Xbox to an LED display and it is still showing all the graphical errors as it does on my plasma. I really do think something is wrong with the CPU. If it was a cable or tv issue I think it would look more like an overlay with the dots. The dots/artifacts. It’s as if the dots are on the texture of the game itself... Really interesting to look at and the mystery continues. 

thank you all for the support you are giving me and I know we will root this problem out  

Thanks

0A2932CB-3B3B-4E7E-94D1-A65629C61EF1.jpeg

897E84FB-F634-41F7-AA50-B7F0ECE9E30E.jpeg

Got some good news and bad news. Bad news is I got the wrong component cable from ebay, so going to get a return on that shortly. Good news is I got a Original Xbox, OEM Compoenent Cable, and a Duke Controller all for around $75 on Ebay and it should be here sometime next week. Really lucked out on that score. Now with a system that is advertised as working now we can really trouble shoot my xbox and figure out what the problem is.

Thanks,

Sam