Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mavox1

Anyone Seen This Screen Distortion Before? Video

Recommended Posts

Tried it with 2 sets of component cables and had the same result. It's a 1.6 model and does this with various games, maybe 30 games total I've tried. Sometimes it doesn't do it all for 30min, then it'll flicker constantly for an entire hour. Super frustrating.

Please login or register to see this link.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep the caps near the heat sink have failed.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.
 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep..thats what happened to me. The three large caps by the heatsink . I believe they are 6.3V 3300uF but don't quote me on that. Mine had rounded blown out tops. Check to see if yours look that way. Maybe other things will cause this. I don't know.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gray1 said:

You got any bad capacitors in that xbox?

 

56 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Yep the caps near the heat sink have failed.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.
 

 

42 minutes ago, Gray1 said:

Yep..thats what happened to me. The three large caps by the heatsink . I believe they are 6.3V 3300uF but don't quote me on that. Mine had rounded blown out tops. Check to see if yours look that way. Maybe other things will cause this. I don't know.

 

Big thanks. Could anyone point me in the right direction on where to start? I just starting learning to FTP recently lmao. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First open up the Xbox and look at the capacitors. See if the top of the caps are swelled. They should be flat and not swelled like the first picture. They should look like the second picture. The three next to the heatsink are the prime suspects. But I would check them all since you have it out.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Gray1
add picture
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gray1 said:

First open up the Xbox and look at the capacitors. See if the top of the caps are swelled. They should be flat and not swelled like the first picture. They should look like the second picture. The three next to the heatsink are the prime suspects. But I would check them all since you have it out.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

 

 

Much appreciated. I decide before cracking it open to try some other troubleshooting.

 

2 things.

The first is I was able to find my old composite cables. I found zero flickering using these.

The other thing is the green plug on the component cable. I messed around with it for maybe 10 minutes and found that a certain spot twisting it improves the flickering. Now, it does a single, more intense flicker every 20-30 seconds instead that double flicker every 3-5 seconds. 

Not sure if that helps anyone understand if its actually the caps failing. 

Edited by Mavox1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How new is the TV?  I am a firm believer in doing no harm so no problem in more troubleshooting. Try a different TV if you can. See if that makes any difference. Make sure 480p and 720P are enabled in the settings. Is this stock or a softmod?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Gray1 said:

How new is the TV?  I am a firm believer in doing no harm so no problem in more troubleshooting. Try a different TV if you can. See if that makes any difference. Make sure 480p and 720P are enabled in the settings. Is this stock or a softmod?

It's a softmod and 480p and 720p are enabled. My other TV went out about a month back or I would try that.The one I'm currently using is about 1 year old LG, I use it for ps4 gaming, never get any flickering from anything but the xbox, and even now that is really reduced after messing around with the green connector. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update

 

I cracked open the system and did not see the bad capacitors. Another thing I did was tried standard AV cables, no flickering at all. This only occurs at 480p or above with cheap and high quality components, but with all games at that resolution. Could it be the component port on the TV causing an issue? The flickering is better if I mess with the inputs near the TV, but still occurs.

Edited by Mavox1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only sure test would be test on a different TV.

The cap's can look ok but still be faulty and be leaking from the bottom but in your case I would say the lead is the problem .

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:
16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The only sure test would be test on a different TV.

The cap's can look ok but still be faulty and be leaking from the bottom but in your case I would say the lead is the problem .

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The lead as in something outside the box itself right? Thank you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lead I am talking about is the component cable.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By deano3and8
      I bought a cheap sata to ide adaptor to do a 2tb install, after completion I was getting crazy long wait times for the xbox to even load it was such a disappointment .  Buy cheap buy twice!  I have a startech one now and it works fine completely night and day.  
      This forum has helped me loads already thank you.
      Please login or register to see this attachment.
    • By Stephen
      I've been trying to install the Rocky5 softmod on a v1.6 and I keep hitting the same wall.  I've scoured the forums and tried every suggestion found with no difference and I'm appealing for more ideas/suggestions. 
      Using SC, I load the Linux profile and click the next screen for checkpoints, then screen goes black.  There is no response or activity on the XBOX - no sound of drives moving, no change in LED color.  I've waited some time and nothing more.
      - Swapped component and composite cables and 2 different TVs. Tried with component cable and set to "Normal", tried with composite cable
      - recopied the game save to USB and to XBOX hdd.
      -confirmed NTSC game version
      -tried with multiple SC saves (tested game, it works) and with none (original attempts and after deleting test profile)
      The version of SC will play - I made a new profile and started it, then deleted that profile. 
      I know in advance that I should just put in a mod chip.... walking before I run
      Thank you Rocky5 for the hard work on the softmod and MrMario for the instructional video that I apparently needed.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 
    • By ShinGoutetsu
      Hi guys,
      I posted this on a few xbox groups and thought i'd share it here too. 
      I basically remove the jewel, use a dremel to make a circular hole where the jewel was and then attached a round 800 x 800 pixel (3.4") lcd.
      The video is provided by a small media player such as the Sumvision Cyclone +2 but i am also going to set it up with a raspberry pi zero to save space. Using the small media player means having to lose the dvd rom due to space confinements.
      The interface between the lcd and media player is a HDMI to MIPI pcb with 50 pin flat ribbon cable, you can find them on most china electronics websites. The video is just some boot videos i found and stitched together. This media player can loop playback on start up provided the video is placed in a folder in the root of an SD card or USB stick named AUTOPLAY
       

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.