Sign in to follow this  
HDShadow

XBox Game 'redumps'

Can someone please explain not just what an original Xbox game 'redump' is but why it is done too?

I ask because I've found several game download sites where everything is 'redump' rather than XISO or extracted files. I'd thought this was all to do with >4.7GB games but that is clearly not the case with some games I know are well under 4GB listed as 'redump' too.

So I decided to download a game (BTW I do own the original disc) from one 'redump' archive which was about 3.6GB installed on the HDD.

To start with the RARed download was 5.6GB so took a very long time on my BB speed. They all seem to be the same size too. Why?

When unpacked you get an even bigger folder >7GB which XDVD Mulleter magically extracts the contents from to create a folder of about 3.6GB. This contains the Xbox game's folders and files you can either FTP or, being under 4.7GB,  create an ordinary XISO with C Xbox Tool or Qwix and burn to disc.

All works fine but what a bloody palaver.

I could have downloaded an XISO (<3GB zipped) or the zipped/RARed file contents in half the time. So why are these smaller games also being provided as these oversize 'redumps'? It does not make a lot of sense to me so I'd like to understand.        

Even though this topic is slightly older, what I have to say still applies to this even to this day.

Let me start by addressing the Topic creators question, and then I will deconstruct the reply left by Please login or register to see this link.

Please login or register to see this link.

To answer the topic creators question

There is no reason for it. A redump is nothing but an excuse for some morons to purposely make things far more time consuming and a hassle than it needs to be. Summed up, a redump is nothing more than showing who is an idiot that doesn't know how to properly upload anything.

And now to deconstruct the reply left by Please login or register to see this link.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:40 PM, eeksdee said:

They aren't 4.7GB, not sure where you got that number from, they are the exact size of a DVD. You may be confused because pirates likely compress.

The last part of your reply about pirates is simply untrue. And to say a redump of a game isn't that big is both true and untrue at the same time..I'll explain. When anything uploaded to a site exceeds it's original size, then the new size listed becomes the current size as far as that specific website or hosting site goes.

Archive.org has every original xbox game listed as over 5gb in size. Whether the game itself isn't that big doesn't change the fact that the zip/rar file for the game is that size which has absolutely nothing to do with pirates removing or compressing files either.

Go put GTA III into the xbox and strip it off the disk onto your desktop and using quix create the ISO and tell me what size the entire iso is I'll save you the trouble..it's only 725MB.

Now go look at the size of the same game on archive.org...Here is the link: Take a look at the file for game itself. It's over 6gb. Redump or not archive.org has the game iso itself as 6.3gb in size: Please login or register to see this link.

To say that the games are not at least 5gb in size is false because on archive.org THEY absolutely are that big. Again look at the ISO of GTA III:

Go to this link and click View contents:

Please login or register to see this link.

It literary says right there that the GTA III.iso is almost 7gb. So with all due respect, saying you don't know where the topic creator got the games are that size from is just dumb because the size of the file itself is right there next to download. Not too mention you still have to download that huge file and it's in the form of a disc image, and ti's the name of the game. So according to all that information you can even look at yourself, how is the game not that big on dumpsites.

How the hell a game that is only 725 MB get to a packed up file which has made if over 5.7gb larger is outright retarded but anyone who believes this is not designed to make things more complex and pointless, needs their head examined.

Downloading a 6gb file that you have to convert/extract (Whatever word you want to use) to get it 725 MB is a fucking joke..No one is going to do that.

As you can see there is absolutely no reason a redump is any good or has any point, it's a complete and total waste of time all around, and anyone defending this shit upload, is an all around jackass.

How does a game only 725 MB in size become a 6.3GB iso?

Edited by TL gamer

@TL gamer I know the redump format may seem silly, but its primary purpose is preservation. The idea is to preserve a bit for bit copy if the DVD. This will include data that is not used by the game itself, noise if you will, but it’s an important part of preserving that history. And who knows, one day we may find there was something hiding there in that noise, would be a shame to lose it.

Edited by CorpusDeal

48 minutes ago, CorpusDeal said:

@TL gamer I know the redump format may seem silly, but its primary purpose is preservation. The idea is to preserve a bit for bit copy if the DVD. This will include data that is not used by the game itself, noise if you will, but it’s an important part of preserving that history. And who knows, one day we may find there was something hiding there in that noise, would be a shame to lose it.

Except dumping something has absolutely no relevance to whether or not it gets preserved and I don't think anyone is going to argue or disagree with that point. Once something has a copy made of it, it's been preserved and the only way something doesn't get removed from a place it's been uploaded to the net is if it doesn't have a DCMA take down notice put against it.

No offense, saying a dump is basically the only way to preserve something, is not only silly, but more of a lame ass excuse to upload something so it becomes a burden to anyone trying to download it. Like my (GTA III example above) if something is 725MB, there is no valid reason to make it 6.3gb in size. If something is 725 MB then unless it's compressed, it shouldn't ever become larger than that. Except for dual layered disc games, There is absolutely nothing in an original xbox game, that would ever make them as big as they are.

In closing no, the redump format for making things larger isn't silly, it's flat out retarded!

Edited by TL gamer

The point of redump is pure preservation not piracy (what you appear to be looking for?) which is why they don't strip the DVD contents. It's really sad people use that fact as an excuse to download games they don't own. On a retail Xbox the kernel checks for certain things on the DVD such as the security sectors (SS.bin) and similar. Also the unused data on the disc actually does serve a purpose such as aligning contents for faster loading, etc.

You simply don't understand because you're a pirate and are only interested in stealing games. :)

• Like 1

@TL gamer I suggest you read Please login or register to see this link.  to understand what it’s all about. The DMCA claim is irrelevant because the redump team preserves all images even if they were to be taken down from archive.org. DVDs and other media like it must be preserved because they do not last forever. Either that or it will be lost to history.

Edited by CorpusDeal