Sign in to follow this  
supercharged_82@yahoo.ca

480i Resolution Fix?

I have a few soft modded xboxs and have mostly been using my 1.6 as of late. It looked perfect in all resolutions on all games that worked. But when I switched to one of my older xboxs, I think 1.2, it had major vertical lines when the xbox boots up in 480i and while playing games at those resolutions. Is it the xbox or is it software related? Is there a fix? all capacitors look good.

4 hours ago, Pipo said:

hi, can the capacitors also leak from below

Yes. That's how the clock cap leaks. Out the bottom next to the printed circuit board instead of the vent on the top.

I believe I read last night that holding down both thumbsticks and triggers for a second on the main dash forces the system in 480p mode, try giving that a shot

So it definitely seems to be a problem with 480i output on that system. Does any one have any clue which capacitors would need to be replaced in regards to 480i issues? I tried forcing 480i with that 'hold triggers and thumbs in', on original dash. It switched only original dash to 480p it did nothing for my games on the hard drive. Any clue as where to look would be helpful, pulling my hair out here. I am capped at 5 messages a day thanks for the reply's everyone!

Here is a photo of the lines I am talking about. It is not noticeable at higher resolutions. Just 480i.

I have tested same game, same tv, same cables, different xbox. It looks perfect on that xbox.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

On a version 1.6 I would replace the 5 larger Cap's near the power connector 1st.

As for the capping on you number of post have a look in the store tab $5 or $10 usd membership.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

A capacitor can look fine but it may have dried out and gone open circuit and if that's the case it may as well not be there.

To test you really should remove from the PCB and connect to a LCR meter as testing in circuit can and will give incorrect readings.

The caps circled in red I would definitely replace, If the caps in purple are silver like the one in this board if you can replace but that's up to you I would.

And 100% you need to remove the cap in the yellow if it's still there

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

This place has complete kits and the cost is competitive.

Or Digikey thats where I get mine but I get enough to do 4 or 5  Xbox's

Please login or register to see this link.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 3/23/2020 at 2:04 PM, Pipo said:

hi, can the capacitors also leak from below

This was removed from a version 1.4 yesterday.

On the  left is what it looked like in the board and right is the bottom of the cap.

And the 4 traces along the front where corroded to the point the Xbox looked to have a dead power supply .

Cheers

SS Dave