OGXbox.com

X3 switch panel gerber?

MadMartigan

The bottom PCB is what is needed to have the switchboard.  There is no replacement for the plastic sticker that was placed on top of the original PCB with all of the labeling on it.  Maybe you can have one custom made.

The developer of the replacement chunky unit made it out of three thin stacked PCBs. Only one, the bottom PCB, has electronic components installed on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

The bottom PCB is what is needed to have the switchboard.  There is no replacement for the plastic sticker that was placed on top of the original PCB with all of the labeling on it.  Maybe you can have one custom made.

The developer of the replacement chunky unit made it out of three thin stacked PCBs. Only one, the bottom PCB, has electronic components installed on it.

Any idea how something like that IS made? I've been wondering this for a while now. I have a switch bank that needs a cover.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Any idea how something like that IS made? I've been wondering this for a while now. I have a switch bank that needs a cover.

The old school hobby way was basically taking a board, stenciling on your circuit diagram, and dipping it in some acid. Lol. Board complete! If you did it right. Lol

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I dug my old switch out and noticed the layered panels on this one as well. It does appear that all I'm looking to switch is the top layer or maybe the top two. I only want to change the color to white with black or silver text.  If this isn't possible, then I'll consider a different method. Where there's a wil, there's a way. Maybe someone with a little more no-how could use a program to render another top layer for me? I know of the programs, but I'm lost when I open them and attempt to get started. 

10 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Ok what kind of acid do you need and how do we get these done? Lol

1 hour ago, dtomcat said:

Yep. Cupric chloride or ferric chloride will do it. If I recall correctly cupric chloride was the best choice and what I mostly used way back in the day. 

3 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

I've made a little progress on this and figured out how to create the Gerber files. One step closer to a solution. @KaosEngineeris going to look into this some more soon and hopefully be able to verify if this is indeed what I need.  

Okay here's what I've determined from my research about the Xecuter-X3-Switch-Panel Gerber files:

Standard Gerber File Extensions

Gerber File Description Contents
.GTL Top layer copper Copper traces and pads on the top layer
.GTS Top layer solder mask Shape of the solder mask on the top layer
.GTO Top Overlay Top layer silkscreen information such as component identification
.GBL Bottom layer copper Copper traces and pads on the bottom layer
.GBS Bottom solder mask Shape of the solder mask on the bottom layer
.GBO Bottom layer Overlay Bottom layer silkscreen information
.GTP Top layer paste Location of solder paste on the top layer
.GBP Bottom layer paste Location of solder paste on the bottom layer
.GML Mechanical layer Board cutouts, drill holes, and non-copper features
.GKO Keep-out layer Areas where components or copper traces cannot be placed
.G1 to .Gx Additional copper layers Additional copper layers for multilayer designs
.GP1 to .GPx Additional Internal Plane Layer Additional Internal Plane Layer for multilayer designs

Source: https://www.jhdpcb.com/blog/pcb-gerber-files/

Gerber file naming for the top (Mask) PCB of the three stacked PCBs in this X3 Switch Panel design:

Mask.GBL - Gerber Bottom Layer Copper (Copper traces and pads on the bottom layer)
Mask.GBO - Gerber Bottom Layer Overlay (Silkscreen information such as component identification)
Mask.GBP - Gerber Bottom Layer Paste (Solder Paste on bottom layer)
Mask.GBS - Gerber Bottom Layer Solder Mask (Shape of the solder mask on the bottom layer)
Mask.GML - Gerber Mechanical Layer (Board cutouts, drill holes and non-copper features)
Mask.GTL - Gerber Top Layer Copper (Copper traces and pads on the top layer) - .GPI provides a bit of infor that 16 shapes were created ???
Mask.GTS - Gerber Top Layer Solder Mask (Shape of the solder mask on the top layer)
Mask.GTO - Gerber Top Layer Overlay (Silkscreen information such as component identification - DIP Switch usage labeling)
Mask.GTP - Gerber Top Layer Paste (Location of solder paste on the bottom layer)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a couple of file extensions that I'm not sure what they are:

.DRI and .GPI

Okay from looking at the contents of the files themselves in a text editor:

.DRI - Drill Station information (Not needed as there is no drilling on this PCB)

.GPI - Photoplotter Info File (Photocopier information pertaining to shapes used in the .GTL file.)

I don't think a PCB production house needs these two files; however, if they ask for them include them.

The .DRI file should not be needed since there are no holes drilled in this PCB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what program generated these files?

Answer: Again, looking at the contents of these two file types:

EAGLE CAM Processor 8.6.0

Edit: To change the coloring of the PCB.  Tell the PCB production house the color of the solder mask and the color of the silkscreen (text) to be placed on the PCB.

• Thanks 1

I've also been looking at these and comparing prices from various PCB fabs. The most recognizable one, PCBway, was about $25 shipped for the minimum quantity (5), and this was just for one of the two top layers. Other fabs were as low as maybe 15 dollars? This website was helpful:
https://pcbshopper.com/
I was hoping to get the decorative, top layer in matte black but for some reason this seems to more expensive and less available.

Does anyone have experience with these PCB fabs? It would be nice to have an idea of who to go with before gambling ~$50.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coppermine said:

I've also been looking at these and comparing prices from various PCB fabs. The most recognizable one, PCBway, was about $25 shipped for the minimum quantity (5), and this was just for one of the two top layers. Other fabs were as low as maybe 15 dollars? This website was helpful:
https://pcbshopper.com/
I was hoping to get the decorative, top layer in matte black but for some reason this seems to more expensive and less available.

Does anyone have experience with these PCB fabs? It would be nice to have an idea of who to go with before gambling ~$50.

JLC is cheaper than PCBWay, but sometimes JLC can be a bit retarded and I give up and go with Way just so I don't have to answer dumb emails. lol.

@KaosEngineer NICE work, dude. That information is awesome and I'm manually saving it on my HDD.

I'm going to order some from PCBWay since they do have the initial deal of 10 for $5. Shipping originally looked like it was $20, but I can reduce that dramatically without express shipping from China. I only need to very top mask so I'm also going to check into splitting that order into black and white colors. @Bowlsnapper you need just the mask in black correct? 

3 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

I'm going to order some from PCBWay since they do have the initial deal of 10 for $5. Shipping originally looked like it was $20, but I can reduce that dramatically without express shipping from China. I only need to very top mask so I'm also going to check into splitting that order into black and white colors. @Bowlsnapper you need just the mask in black correct? 

Yes sir.

My order from JLCPCB came in. They look pretty good! Vanity PCB is a bit thick though, I think they were both 1.6mm? I attached them with some carefully place double sided tape. Since the minimum order quantity was five I've got four extras of each. Again I only ordered the spacer and vanity piece.

IMG_20240306_154034615_HDR.jpg

• Like 1