OGXbox.com

Theoretical Gpu Overclock

neighbor

10 hours ago, samspin said:

Firstly, ensure you are using a modchip to boot from, preferably one that has a removable flashrom (like the Aladdin XT). Another option is the SmartXX, since most versions of those have recovery boot options. Reason being, if you set a clock rate too high, the Xbox will not be able to boot fully and will be useless. If using the Aladdin XT I would recommend a USB PIC programmer and a PLCC32 socket adapter for it. This would allow you to reflash manually if your Xbox won't boot.

Then... download a pre-built XBOverlock executable from here: https://github.com/WulfyStylez/XBOverclock/releases and extract it to a folder, have the folder Explorer window open.

You will need a copy of the BIOS to patch for overclocking. Be it INDBIOS, Xecuter, etc. Anyway, you need the .bin file for this, and to put it in the same folder as XBOverclock. Note the filename. Open a command line window and get to the folder XBOverlock is in. The easiest way to do this to copy and paste the address from the Explorer window you have open by typing cd and then paste the folder address. You may need to put inverted quotes around it " if it has spaces in it.

E.g. cd "C:\Users\Giant Robots\Desktop\XBOverclock"

From here type xboverclock and note the instructions it gives you. Or follow the below example where one has 'indbios.bin' as the original BIOS, and 'patched.bin' should be the output. FSB controls the front-side bus clock patch, NV controls the graphics chip clock patch.

E.g. xboverclock -fsb 141 -nv 242 -o patched.bin indbios.bin

The program will let you know what has been patched and the values rounded down.

When you are done, FTP the 'patched.bin' BIOS file onto your Xbox and flash it the way you normally would ON THE MODCHIP! The Xbox will shut down as usual after flashing. Turn it on and pray. If it works, try playing something that is tough on the graphics chip. A good example is to open XBMC and play a video upscaled to 1080i (enable 1080i in the system settings). If the Xbox does not freeze while playing this, then chances are you have a stable overclock. Note: I have found that sometimes an overclocked Xbox can no longer completely flash a new BIOS image and the progress bar will jam, with no option to retry. This is the second reason you should always do this with a modchip you can manually flash: bricking your onboard TSOP (minus the Xbox 1.6 which does not have one) is a nightmare to recover from. The last time I had this problem I had to desolder the whole TSOP with a hot air station,  solder it onto an adapter board, reflash it with a PIC programmer, then solder it back on the Xbox motherboard. This took me hours to do since it is hard to tell if all the pins are correctly connected. Plus, it is dead easy to lift the pads by accident, permanently rendering it impossible to boot from TSOP! You should only flash there if you are *absolutely* certain you have a stable overclock, and do not plan to write another BIOS again. To do that of course you would need to disconnect your modchip and disconnect any wire you have between GROUND and the D0 point on the motherboard, then boot normally, and flash normally.

If, on the other hand, you cannot get the Xbox to boot normally (either black screen or a frozen flubber animation) then you will need to reflash your modchip externally as I have described above. A MiniPro TL866II and a PLCC32 adapter is a good candidate to do this. If you need help doing this part, give a word here and I'll post instructions in another post... this one is getting a bit long. Try again with lower overclock values and keep trying gently.

Just yesterday i ordered 2 alladin XT+ 4032 modchips so i will do the following strategy,i will flash the patched bios in 1 of these chips and test it on the xbox.I will keep reflashing the modchip until i reach the max stable clocks.When i do,i will then flash that bios to the TSOP and get to the next xbox until i finish them all.The second Modchip is in case the bios has too high overclock and can't be booted.I will then do what neighbor said.Boot with the working modchip,go to xblast,then swap modchips and flash the "bad bios" one.But i have to wait for the chips to come.One more question.Does the xblast xbe resize the Bios?????because the chip will be 256kb but the TSOP will be 1MB

Edited by SakisTheDrifter

14 hours ago, SakisTheDrifter said:

Just yesterday i ordered 2 alladin XT+ 4032 modchips so i will do the following strategy,i will flash the patched bios in 1 of these chips and test it on the xbox.I will keep reflashing the modchip until i reach the max stable clocks.When i do,i will then flash that bios to the TSOP and get to the next xbox until i finish them all.The second Modchip is in case the bios has too high overclock and can't be booted.I will then do what neighbor said.Boot with the working modchip,go to xblast,then swap modchips and flash the "bad bios" one.But i have to wait for the chips to come.One more question.Does the xblast xbe resize the Bios?????because the chip will be 256kb but the TSOP will be 1MB

I'm not quite sure about that off the top of memory when it comes to XBlast. I have always done, for example "copy /b bios.bin+bios.bin+bios.bin+bios.bin 1mbbios.bin" and using the resulting 1mbbios.bin file. EvoX dashboard flasher does not require this, it automatically fills the whole TSOP or Modchip for you. I do know that this is definitely necessary when using Raincoat flasher via Eurasia Pro Generic Flash Disc (I know from experience it will erase the whole 1MB chip then only flash 256KB of it if you only give it a file that big, leaving the rest blank. Since the Xbox always boots from the final quarter of the TSOP, not the first quarter, this will cause a FRAG. Causing me to have to use the two-wire trick to boot again). Of course you should always do this *after* patching. If I were you I wouldn't leave it to chance... anyway, good luck with it!

Edited by samspin

7 hours ago, samspin said:

I'm not quite sure about that off the top of memory when it comes to XBlast. I have always done, for example "copy /b bios.bin+bios.bin+bios.bin+bios.bin 1mbbios.bin" and using the resulting 1mbbios.bin file. EvoX dashboard flasher does not require this, it automatically fills the whole TSOP or Modchip for you. I do know that this is definitely necessary when using Raincoat flasher via Eurasia Pro Generic Flash Disc (I know from experience it will erase the whole 1MB chip then only flash 256KB of it if you only give it a file that big, leaving the rest blank. Since the Xbox always boots from the final quarter of the TSOP, not the first quarter, this will cause a FRAG. Causing me to have to use the two-wire trick to boot again). Of course you should always do this *after* patching. If I were you I wouldn't leave it to chance... anyway, good luck with it!

I actually have another idea with wich i wont have to think about the size and this is to dump the bios i have in the xbox(that way i wont loose all of the other modifications i have done(flubber colors,boot order etc)). But do you know any tool that does that? Thank you and sorry for being tiresome

2 hours ago, neighbor said:

hey guys, there is a zip attached on 1st page of this thread, which contains the files and guide on how to use it. And 2nd page has a few tips on how to not brick the xbox.

Yes i saw your zip,but it doesnt explain how to flash it on anything.It only explains the modchip flash.I still dont know if xblast can resize the bios so i can use it everywhere

23 hours ago, SakisTheDrifter said:

I actually have another idea with wich i wont have to think about the size and this is to dump the bios i have in the xbox(that way i wont loose all of the other modifications i have done(flubber colors,boot order etc)). But do you know any tool that does that? Thank you and sorry for being tiresome

EvoX should be able to backup your existing BIOS if you want to retrieve it.

Download EvoX

Extract that zip and FTP it to your Xbox. Run it and choose the "backup" option. Check again with FTP and a new folder called "backup" should now be within EvoX's folder. There will be several files: bios.bin, eeprom.bin, hddkey.bin and hddinfo.txt . Obviously the one you want should be bios.bin .

Edited by samspin

Ok i have one last question that i have been wondering.What if i try the patched bioses with pbl metoo and make them BFM?. I will simply load the bioses from an xbe file and if the bios is too overclocked,i will simply delete the bios,make another one and launch it again from xbe without the proccess of flashing anything. Can this be done?

26 minutes ago, SakisTheDrifter said:

Ok i have one last question that i have been wondering.What if i try the patched bioses with pbl metoo and make them BFM?. I will simply load the bioses from an xbe file and if the bios is too overclocked,i will simply delete the bios,make another one and launch it again from xbe without the proccess of flashing anything. Can this be done?

I'm not sure that will work. I believe this mod works at a much lower level in the Xcodes during hardware initialization, in the very first steps before anything appears onscreen. Nice idea but I don't think it'll work.

EDIT: see this comment regarding BFM Bioses: "Just for general knowledge, you can use a 1.6 BFM BIOS on any Xbox revision because the boot process restarts from the 2bl entry point. Ultra low level init steps are skipped (X-codes execution, RAM timing table load, etc.)." 

Then, check the Readme for XBoverclock "It modifies system initialization fields and bytecode ("X-Codes") using heuristics to allow for reclocking of a few parts of the XBOX system."

There you have it, sorry!

Edited by samspin

19 minutes ago, samspin said:

I'm not sure that will work. I believe this mod works at a much lower level in the Xcodes during hardware initialization, in the very first steps before anything appears onscreen. Nice idea but I don't think it'll work.

EDIT: see this comment regarding BFM Bioses: "Just for general knowledge, you can use a 1.6 BFM BIOS on any Xbox revision because the boot process restarts from the 2bl entry point. Ultra low level init steps are skipped (X-codes execution, RAM timing table load, etc.)." 

Then, check the Readme for XBoverclock "It modifies system initialization fields and bytecode ("X-Codes") using heuristics to allow for reclocking of a few parts of the XBOX system."

There you have it, sorry!

Ok i got it. I will wait for the chips to come and i will try this myself. Thank you VERY much my friend.Wish everyone was as helpfull as you are

27 minutes ago, Crazyembereks said:

Couldn't we just use the Hexen disc to reflash the TSOP instead of using a modchip? Or would the xbox just not turn on?

Or if can't boot that, could also split the 1mb TSOP with a switch and have 2 banks in the TSOP. This way can avoid the modchip altogether? Would this work?

11 hours ago, Crazyembereks said:

Or if can't boot that, could also split the 1mb TSOP with a switch and have 2 banks in the TSOP. This way can avoid the modchip altogether? Would this work?

I've thought about this, and while it is indeed possible to have multple Kernels on one TSOP, this does not mean different versions of the Xcodes can be used! Have a read here: https://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=183

"The Xcode interpreter, which is stored in the MCPX ROM and cannot be changed, always reads its instructions from 0xFF00_0000, while all Xbox ROMs refer to the x86 code at 0xFFFC_0000. Therefore the Xcodes that get executed do not belong to the active image - actually the Xcodes from bank 0 get executed always, no matter what bank you select. If you have four very similar images, this might work, but very often it doesn't work! It was suggested to connect A18 and A19 resp. either to GND or to Vcc, to have definitive 1s and 0s, but we cannot recommend this either, because it is quite likely that this will make your MCPX explode!"

In english, it recommends not to do this because having A18 and A19 connected to GND or Vcc applies voltage to the MCPX in a way that it was not intended for and it will get hotter than it should over time (explode is a bit of a drastic statement). So unless you add some resistors to the circuit or add cooling to the MCPX, don't try this! It will eventually fail and be very difficult to diagnose. Since the MCPX is a BGA-soldered component that cannot be easily replaced, it's far safer to just stick with modchips. That being said, using this kind of mod *temporarily* in order to recover an incomplete flash should be fine so long as you don't use it for too long.

Edited by samspin

11 hours ago, samspin said:

I've thought about this, and while it is indeed possible to have multple Kernels on one TSOP, this does not mean different versions of the Xcodes can be used! Have a read here: https://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=183

"The Xcode interpreter, which is stored in the MCPX ROM and cannot be changed, always reads its instructions from 0xFF00_0000, while all Xbox ROMs refer to the x86 code at 0xFFFC_0000. Therefore the Xcodes that get executed do not belong to the active image - actually the Xcodes from bank 0 get executed always, no matter what bank you select. If you have four very similar images, this might work, but very often it doesn't work! It was suggested to connect A18 and A19 resp. either to GND or to Vcc, to have definitive 1s and 0s, but we cannot recommend this either, because it is quite likely that this will make your MCPX explode!"

In english, it recommends not to do this because having A18 and A19 connected to GND or Vcc applies voltage to the MCPX in a way that it was not intended for and it will get hotter than it should over time (explode is a bit of a drastic statement). So unless you add some resistors to the circuit or add cooling to the MCPX, don't try this! It will eventually fail and be very difficult to diagnose. Since the MCPX is a BGA-soldered component that cannot be easily replaced, it's far safer to just stick with modchips. That being said, using this kind of mod *temporarily* in order to recover an incomplete flash should be fine so long as you don't use it for too long.

Very Interesting and good to know! After looking into this further, I found this tutorial which says he solved the problem by severing a trace to permanently split the banks and prevent overheating.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 11:41 PM, neighbor said:

So, I've done this, connected a potentiometter between Vcc and OCSET, gone from 1000ohm down to 50ohm, the Xbox powering on, but shown no picture on the screen, and there was kind of clicking noise going from motherboard. Between VDD and VSS(gnd) on RAM chips, still 3.06volts. So no boot and no voltage increase. Any thoughts?

OCSET Xbox RAM voltage controller overcurrent.jpg

ocset pin.jpg

After removing the potentiometer, everything was fine.

If you want to overvolt,i know an easier method. In some xboxes,their psu have  a potensiometer on their front side. If you turn it clockwise,it will raise the voltage in ALL the lines(12v,5v,3.3v). If you are lucky enough,you will have a psu with adjustable voltages :D

• 1 month later...

The furthest I've been able to reach on my 1GHZ N64freak XBox without freezing is:
GPU: 299MHZ
CPU: 1062MHZ (on a stock XBox this would be 778MHZ).
This was after testing for several hours on games such as Star Wars: Clone Wars and Halo 2.
Not as good results as some others on here who probably haven't had to resort to the measures I've taken! I have however been intrigued as to the many factors that come into play. Perhaps those using 120V PSU's as opposed to 240V PSU's have better luck due to less heat generated by the transformer? I have noticed heat is a big factor- I had to set my fan at 100% to have a reliable overclock. Since I have failed to get hold of some aftermarket PSU's to test with (RichsPSXParts.com ignored my order for over a month, so I had to cancel it), I decided to turn my attention to how I could reduce load on the 5V rail. It is a known fact that the Xbox uses quite a large initial 5V current at boot time, and it uses rather ALOT of it during heavy graphical scenes. I also am aware that SSD's tend to have a larger 5V current draw then HDD's, and that might be causing more strain. So I decided to try out offloading onto the 12V rail. To do this I bought a 12V to 5V 3A converter (small enough to fit behind the DVD drive) and rewired the MOLEX plug to feed 12V to it, and get 5V out to feed into the SSD. This seems to have worked well. Previously I only got as far as 266MHZ for the GPU, and no overclock of the CPU at all! This does go to show that even small details can make somewhat of a difference. However I do have to leave the fan on full speed because the PSU does get very hot quite quickly if I leave it at the default 20% speed (who knows, I might be causing more harm to it in the long run?). I might try to replace the fan because it is annoyingly loud, or at least place the Xbox in a ventilated cupboard so the noise doesn't annoy me.
Maybe a different BIOS might have better luck for higher overclocks? I noticed in the screenshot above that one is using the Xecuter 2 BIOS rather than IND-BIOS.
I would try a different BIOS than IND-BIOS. However this Xbox is a 1.4 with a FOCUS video chipset. The one in the photo above is a 1.0 with a CONEXANT video chipset running on an Executer BIOS. The only BIOS's (other than IND-BIOS) that can be set to use a partition table from the hard drive (that supports 128MB RAM) is Xecuter. However only the early X2 versions can be patched to use a partition table using XBTool. Trying to use one of the early X2 versions on an Xbox with a FOCUS video chipset results in a FRAG. The newer ones DO support the FOCUS video chipset, but cannot be set to use a partition table, they FORCE you to choose between "128GB for F and G gets rest", etc (to see more details, see the changelog contained within the X2 5035 release, can be downloaded on Eurasia here) Trying to run XBTool on later Xecuter X2 versions has the checkbox selected for "ignore the partition table on the hard drive" and it is greyed out! Apparently Xecuter "X3" BIOS's CAN allow custom partition tables, but they only work on a physical Xecuter chip, not a TSOP or other brand modchip. There exists a patch to make them run on other chips, but even so the X3 versions are too big (it requires a full 1024KB chip, found on a 1.0 or 1.1 Xbox).Xbox 1.2 and above only have 256KB flash, same with Aladdin XT modchips. Since I have F and G partitions almost filled at 1TB each, I am not prepared to alter my partition schemes and re-transfer everything all over again. So it looks like I'm stuck with IND-BIOS if I want to use all 128MB RAM, leave my partitions the way they are, and be able to have my Xbox actually display a picture, since it's the only BIOS with these features that fits into 256KB. Argh! I think I've done well to get this far. It DOES seem to handle scenes with large amounts of enemies and explosions with a lot less slowdown so I'm quite happy with it at this point.

Edited by samspin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Richard B. Riddick said:

Is there any noticeable improvements (FPS) in emus or xbox games? 

cheers!

Some Xbox games are broken such as GTA:SA, GTA:VC and GTA III as the engine in the games ties the physics to the frame rates, I have seen a big performance boost in the dash at 1080i as it no longer stutters, Quake III Arena is now managing 60fps at 800x600 with a few drops down to 50-40fps when theres alot of actions on, dont know about Emulators because I dont have any games for emulators atm but will check back later.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. Tried with my 1.4 winbond tsop xbox with m8 plus bios, 256 kb.
I followed the tutorial, using the xboverclock ( i ran the program as administrator). I pathed the bios,  flash the bios on tsop using the xblast but the clock speed doesn't change on xbmc 😕  I'll be very glad if someone help me

Sorry for my bad english.

Edited by tabajara
nothing big
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

hi, there is a post on here about 900mhz 233 p3 laptop chips, the poster thought they may make upgrade cpus, he is correct they would. 

but there are others in that line of chips, one in particular is 931 mhz, with a 266mhz bus at 3.5x, so dropped in a standard board running at 266mhz it would be 799mhz.

but as its native bus is 266 instead of 233mhz it has wiggle room for cranking up the fsb if the multiplyer is kept at 3x.

it might be worth a look, 1.4mhz were an obvious choice as an upper limit, 1000mhz then were used but these are getting scarcer, but there are lots of alternatives especially if exotic timings are used.