OGXbox.com

Not completed softmod?

UltimateMe

I've bought a Xbox (1.6 version) because of the physical games that were included in the deal. So I connected the Xbox to my TV and take a look at the memory.

When removing the game saves I found some stuff that I normally not see unless the Xbox is modded. Beside the UnleashX Xbox launcher also Xbox Media Center, dvd2box and some other stuff was showing up. I tried to FTP to the xbox to see what's on the disk (it's the original 10GB disk), but that is not working, but it has network connection. It boots up in the normal MS Dash.

I don't have the time or desire to put a mod chip and larger disk in it. I only want to know if someone has a clue.

xbox01.jpg

xbox02.jpg

xbox03.jpg

It means it was modded at some point but was reverted to 'stock' for sale. It might have network connections but in 'stock' form you cannot FTP to see what is on the HDD.

What you're seeing are the left over UDATA/TDATA configuration/settings files for dashboards, apps. emulators etc which the original owner forgot or couldn't be bothered to remove.

I'm assuming there are no softmod exploit and installer game saves, most likely from either Splinter Cell or 007 AUF, or Mechassault. Interesting they would remove those but not the other stuff. That could suggest the Xbox was actually chipped or TSOPed.

It might be worth opening up the Xbox to check for evidence of that. You might even find a nice chip in situ that needs very little work to get it up running again.    

52 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

It means it was modded at some point but was reverted to 'stock' for sale. It might have network connections but in 'stock' form you cannot FTP to see what is on the HDD.

What you're seeing are the left over UDATA/TDATA configuration/settings files for dashboards, apps. emulators etc which the original owner forgot or couldn't be bothered to remove.

I'm assuming there are no softmod exploit and installer game saves, most likely from either Splinter Cell or 007 AUF, or Mechassault. Interesting they would remove those but not the other stuff. That could suggest the Xbox was actually chipped or TSOPed.

It might be worth opening up the Xbox to check for evidence of that. You might even find a nice chip in situ that needs very little work to get it up running again.    

Yeah.... This is the kind of thing I see with a soft mod that turned into a hard mod. Although the stock dashboard does confuse me a bit...

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

I have the Xbox open, but did not find any hard mod evidence (no pins, no soldering on via's). I saw Splinter Cell and Mechassault as safe games and they were also included in the lot of games. It's the first time I got a Xbox without the complete softmod, but with parts of it as left over.

27 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Yeah.... This is the kind of thing I see with a soft mod that turned into a hard mod. Although the stock dashboard does confuse me a bit...

Therefore I opened it to see if maybe someone had put effort in the 1.6 to hard mod it. But no, also no traces that there maybe was a hardmod once.

1 hour ago, UltimateMe said:

I have the Xbox open, but did not find any hard mod evidence (no pins, no soldering on via's). I saw Splinter Cell and Mechassault as safe games and they were also included in the lot of games. It's the first time I got a Xbox without the complete softmod, but with parts of it as left over.

Therefore I opened it to see if maybe someone had put effort in the 1.6 to hard mod it. But no, also no traces that there maybe was a hardmod once.

I’ve seen a few similar to this where they reverted back to stock after a softmod to sell I assume. Usually nobody bothers doing that before they sell them. Lol.  As HDShadow said it has leftovers from that process. That’s what it looks like anyway. I imagine you’d see some other evidence of this looking at the hdd. I am surprised they left the applications though it’s possible they assumed those would be removed when they reverted. Are there any of the save game exploits present in 007 AUF or MechAssault or is it just normal save game data?

1 hour ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I’ve seen a few similar to this where they reverted back to stock after a softmod to sell I assume. Usually nobody bothers doing that before they sell them. Lol.  As HDShadow said it has leftovers from that process. That’s what it looks like anyway. I imagine you’d see some other evidence of this looking at the hdd. I am surprised they left the applications though it’s possible they assumed those would be removed when they reverted. Are there any of the save game exploits present in 007 AUF or MechAssault or is it just normal save game data?

I found data in the Splinter Cell "save" game. So I used Splinter Cell again to softmod it. After a check there is several previous softmod stuff to find on the disk. So why they reverted it instead of booting the default msdash if they want, is a miracle.

Edited by UltimateMe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, UltimateMe said:

I've bought a Xbox (1.6 version) because of the physical games that were included in the deal. So I connected the Xbox to my TV and take a look at the memory.

When removing the game saves I found some stuff that I normally not see unless the Xbox is modded. Beside the UnleashX Xbox launcher also Xbox Media Center, dvd2box and some other stuff was showing up. I tried to FTP to the xbox to see what's on the disk (it's the original 10GB disk), but that is not working, but it has network connection. It boots up in the normal MS Dash.

I don't have the time or desire to put a mod chip and larger disk in it. I only want to know if someone has a clue.

The stock dashboard does not have an FTP server to connect to.  You can only connect to an FTP server on a modded Xbox running a replacement dashboard.that has it enabled.