OGXbox.com

Project Stellar Features

vekter303

Hello all,

Browsing the site, I am aware of some drama surrounding these chips. To be clear...I want no part of that.

I am having a repair done on a modded Xbox, it has an SSD already installed, it was running Open Xenium with Make MHz HD Kit. I have been given the option of a good price on a board with Stellar HD+

I just wanted to know if anyone can tell me whether some features are now available with Stellar?

Specifically the UDMA and TRIM support...

Also, I read somewhere that I can use Xbox One controllers like an ogx360 setup with Stellar too, is that possible?

Cheers!

33 minutes ago, vekter303 said:

Hello all,

Browsing the site, I am aware of some drama surrounding these chips. To be clear...I want no part of that.

I am having a repair done on a modded Xbox, it has an SSD already installed, it was running Open Xenium with Make MHz HD Kit. I have been given the option of a good price on a board with Stellar HD+

I just wanted to know if anyone can tell me whether some features are now available with Stellar?

Specifically the UDMA and TRIM support...

Also, I read somewhere that I can use Xbox One controllers like an ogx360 setup with Stellar too, is that possible?

Cheers!

Actually a good question. I think features keep getting added but there isn't necessarily clear documentation on what those changes are as they happen. I would be interested in the controller support and knowing how that actually works through the LPC instead of the USB hookups. Interesting... :)

1 hour ago, vekter303 said:

Controller would be a bonus. UDMA and TRIM especially would be good for the SSD.

I recall there was a fairly active Discord when I was originally buying the HDMI kit, but I no longer use that, or many other social media sites.

Thanks for the response.

I didn't even know that Trim was available for the SSDs... That's pretty cool, honestly. I was thinking about how that would be a problem for solid state storage.

Maybe @Ryzee119and @Ernegienare able to help, as I'm sure they are well informed on features. :)

• Like 1

Your best source of info would be either the changelog for Stellar OS or in MakeMHZ's Discord.

Changelog: https://makemhz.com/blogs/news/project-stellar-firmware-update-1-2-0

(scroll down to changelog section)

Discord: https://discord.gg/9YcuDpY

The features list on Stellar's product page is unfortunately not an accurate list. Several features listed are still "planned" or "coming soon".

As far as I'm aware, Xbox gamepad support is not available. Apparently it's close, so we should see it relatively soon.

12 minutes ago, GoTeamScotch said:

Your best source of info would be either the changelog for Stellar OS or in MakeMHZ's Discord.

Changelog: https://makemhz.com/blogs/news/project-stellar-firmware-update-1-2-0

(scroll down to changelog section)

Discord: https://discord.gg/9YcuDpY

The features list on Stellar's product page is unfortunately not an accurate list. Several features listed are still "planned" or "coming soon".

As far as I'm aware, Xbox gamepad support is not available. Apparently it's close, so we should see it relatively soon.

Too Fast...  update out:

Time for another Stellar update! Firmware v1.3.0🚀

- Native Xbox One and Xbox One Series Controller Support
- Virtual Disc Sector Map Emulation
- Improved 720P Boot Animation

And so much more!😀

https://makemhz.com/blogs/news/project-stellar-firmware-update-1-3-0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Too Fast...  update out:

And so much more!😀

Lol firmware 1.3.0 dropped minutes after my reply. Glad to see Xbox gamepad support in place. I have an internal ogx360 in my main Xbox, so it's never bothered me too much. But it's nice to see more of those initial features getting crossed off over time. Might have to actually install my stellar one of these days.

4 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Too Fast...  update out:

And so much more!😀

Haha, Dec 9th.

Good stuff. Looks like 1.4 isn't far off either. Thanks...

1 minute ago, GoTeamScotch said:

Lol firmware 1.3.0 dropped minutes after my reply. Glad to see Xbox gamepad support in place. I have an internal ogx360 in my main Xbox, so it's never bothered me too much. But it's nice to see more of those initial features getting crossed off over time. Might have to actually install my stellar one of these days.

Same... made a batch of internal OGX360s...   one for me and sold the rest... sold out in like 2 mins LOL

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Too Fast...  update out:

And so much more!😀

How does the controller support work through the LPC? Or are there other hookups that it's using?

10 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Nope... he incorporated the driver into his replacement kernel.  Uses the controller ports

I was just catching up on that. I have always just used OG controllers.

So, am I right in thinking I would use a Xbox to USB adaptor and then use a Wireless adaptor, to use the One X controller?

I'm guessing it's that, rather than the Xbox to USB adaptor and then a USB data cable...

Edited by vekter303
correction

On 12/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, vekter303 said:

So, am I right in thinking I would use a Xbox to USB adaptor and then use a Wireless adaptor, to use the One X controller?

Unless I'm mistaken, the support is for wired Xbox One (or One X/Series X) controllers specifically, not for the wireless receiver Microsoft makes. You'd just get (or make) an Xbox-to-USB (female) adapter and connect the Xbox One controller to it using a USB cable and it works as if it were an Og Xbox controller.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:22 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

What comes between the controller ports and the controllers?

A passive adapter.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b9737762b180ae5857da77baa47a2bb8.jpg

It's all software driven, so you only need to physically connect the Xbox One controller to the Xbox.

Other methods, like using an OgX360 adapter had a device that translated button inputs and presented them to the Xbox as if they were a real Og Xbox controller pressing buttons, but this is an added driver that negates the need for external adapters (other than the passive cable mentioned above).

Of course, you can make your own cable if you wanted to as well (skipping yellow sync wire).

932697897_xboxUSBdiagram.jpg.6a97623bcb608cffc8529c709de38a6a.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoTeamScotch said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the support is for wired Xbox One (or One X/Series X) controllers specifically, not for the wireless receiver Microsoft makes. You'd just get (or make) an Xbox-to-USB (female) adapter and connect the Xbox One controller to it using a USB cable and it works as if it were an Og Xbox controller.

A passive adapter.

It's all software driven, so you only need to physically connect the Xbox One controller to the Xbox.

Other methods, like using an OgX360 adapter had a device that translated button inputs and presented them to the Xbox as if they were a real Og Xbox controller pressing buttons, but this is an added driver that negates the need for external adapters (other than the passive cable mentioned above).

Of course, you can make your own cable if you wanted to as well (skipping yellow sync wire).

That's very interesting. It's a great feature, really.

• Like 2

It is interesting. OgX360's can tricky to put together, especially for newcomers, and pre-built devices range from $30 to $100. It can be even more expensive if you want wireless Xbox One controller support via 8BitDo adapters, which run $20 each (one needed per each player).

My only complaint with all this is that this feature of having native Xbox One controller support was teased last year as Project Atlas, which is apparently abandoned and, I assume, was merged into Stellar as a proprietary feature.

We're in the process of releasing all of our tools and documentation for Project Atlas on the GitHub page. There's currently no ETA at this time.

-Announcing Project Atlas! (Plus More!) - MakeMHZ.com

As of Dec 2023, the GitHub page for Atlas has been dormant since it was announced. Currently, there's a binary patch for Halo that adds native Xbox One controller support and that's it. The project claims "Project Atlas is free and open source", which it is not.

I mean, I get wanting to be compensated for your time and effort and make your product more valuable by adding features that people can only get by buying it, it's just disappointing when promises to open source things are discarded later on.

4 minutes ago, GoTeamScotch said:

It is interesting. OgX360's can tricky to put together, especially for newcomers, and pre-built devices range from $30 to $100. It can be even more expensive if you want wireless Xbox One controller support via 8BitDo adapters, which run $20 each (one needed per each player).

My only complaint with all this is that this feature of having native Xbox One controller support was teased last year as Project Atlas, which is apparently abandoned and, I assume, was merged into Stellar as a proprietary feature.

As of Dec 2023, the GitHub page for Atlas has been dormant since it was announced. Currently, there's a binary patch for Halo that adds native Xbox One controller support and that's it. The project claims "Project Atlas is free and open source", which it is not.

I mean, I get wanting to be compensated for your time and effort and make your product more valuable by adding features that people can only get by buying it, it's just disappointing when promises to open source things are discarded later on

don't forget about latency also. isn't there some latency added with ogx360 even if it is only ms?

Edited by lopenator

42 minutes ago, GoTeamScotch said:

A passive adapter.

Got that worked out eventually, thanks. I meant to update the thread in case anyone was curious...

Originally, I thought the Stellar controller support was similar in function to OGX360.

Anyway, new firmware updated and Series X controller tested and working - the box is being repaired by Jack at RetroModz, he does great work :) - he made this up too.

USB-C to Xbox controller plug, lovely.

IMG-20231211-WA0038.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vekter303 said:

Got that worked out eventually, thanks. I meant to update the thread in case anyone was curious...

Originally, I thought the Stellar controller support was similar in function to OGX360.

Anyway, new firmware updated and Series X controller tested and working - the box is being repaired by Jack at RetroModz, he does great work :) - he made this up too.

USB-C to Xbox controller plug, lovely.

IMG-20231211-WA0038.jpg

dude thats beautiful

• Like 1