OGXbox.com

Working on a cap list. Want your opinions

FrostyMaGee

I’m working on a cap list for each revision set that people could refer to in the forum. Here’s what I have so far. Wanted your opinions. Is this needed? Should I add links to caps on mouser and digikey or just list preferred brands and let people find their own via the info provided? Any mistakes or omissions? Compiled info from a few different sources. I haven’t double checked against a 1.0 board yet so that’s always possible. Rough draft.  One thought I had was specifying Radial on the others since I specified SMD where applicable. Just so it was clear to those who might not know when looking for info. I also didn’t include the clock cap. Should I? Obviously for the 1.6/b but should I for the lower versions. Anyway, let me hear your thoughts or critiques. 

V1.0-1.1

Quantity

Value

Voltage

Dimension

C5A4, C6A11, C6A12, C6A4, C6B4, C6B6, C6E2

10uf

16v

3x5.4mm SMD

C7B3

47uf

16v

6.3x5.4mm SMD

C5A3

680uf

16v

8x15mm

C1E1, C2E1, C2E2, C2E5, C3E2  (CPU Caps)

1500uf

6.3v

10x20mm

C1G1, C2F3

3300uf

10v

12.5x25mm

C7G1, C8F2, C8G1

1500uf

16v

12x20mm

C3B3, C3F6, C5F5, C5G1, C6G2, C6G6

100uf

25v

6x11mm

C1G3, C1G5, C2G2, C3F2, C3G4, C4G3, C4G6, C5F6, C6G1, C7B7, C7C3, C7G5, C8E4

22uf

25v

5x11mm

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PRince404 said:

I saw a similar thread here that was about this and had links to digikey to buy a set of caps for 1.0-1.5 and 1.6 revisions.

If it doesn't exist then I guess having a mouser or digikey link would be great.

I know I saw one that SoftMachine had with links. There could be others. The one thing I didn’t see (but I could’ve missed it) was a list of the caps info that also included their corresponding location on the mobo. I thought that might be helpful to newcomers looking to replace caps. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I’m working on a cap list for each revision set that people could refer to in the forum. Here’s what I have so far. Wanted your opinions. Is this needed? Should I add links to caps on mouser and digikey or just list preferred brands and let people find their own via the info provided? Any mistakes or omissions? Compiled info from a few different sources. I haven’t double checked against a 1.0 board yet so that’s always possible. Rough draft.  One thought I had was specifying Radial on the others since I specified SMD where applicable. Just so it was clear to those who might not know when looking for info. I also didn’t include the clock cap. Should I? Obviously for the 1.6/b but should I for the lower versions. Anyway, let me hear your thoughts or critiques. 

V1.0-1.1

Quantity

Value

Voltage

Dimension

10uf

16v

3x5.4mm SMD

C7B3

47uf

16v

6.3x5.4mm SMD

C5A3

680uf

16v

8x15mm

1500uf

6.3v

10x20mm

C1G1, C2F3

3300uf

10v

12.5x25mm

C7G1, C8F2, C8G1

1500uf

16v

12x20mm

100uf

25v

6x11mm

22uf

25v

5x11mm

Hey you stole my idea! 😛

Thank you for doing it. I'm gonna end up referring to it and buying a LOT of capacitors here. Digi key shipping times are about a week and I think that's too long for ordering for one unit at a time.

12 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Hey you stole my idea! 😛

Thank you for doing it. I'm gonna end up referring to it and buying a LOT of capacitors here. Digi key shipping times are about a week and I think that's too long for ordering for one unit at a time.

Any thoughts or additions to it?

I’m working on the others now and I figure once I’m done and have it in final form I’ll make a brand new post. I need to double check and see if 1.2-1.4 have all the same locations and values. I only have info on the 1.4 in that range and nothing I can compare it to here other than a v1.4. Lol I have a 1.0, 1.4, and a 1.6 that I can double check all locations and values though. 

38 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Any thoughts or additions to it?

I’m working on the others now and I figure once I’m done and have it in final form I’ll make a brand new post. I need to double check and see if 1.2-1.4 have all the same locations and values. I only have info on the 1.4 in that range and nothing I can compare it to here other than a v1.4. Lol I have a 1.0, 1.4, and a 1.6 that I can double check all locations and values though. 

Nah. All I would have done is add quantities for the types and that is done. So I say it's sufficient. :)

i think other than those I've seen 1 1.1 and 1 1.2. other than that, I see a lot of 1.0s, 1.4s 1.6s.

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Nah. All I would have done is add quantities for the types and that is done. So I say it's sufficient. :)

i think other than those I've seen 1 1.1 and 1 1.2. other than that, I see a lot of 1.0s, 1.4s 1.6s.

Cool. Thanks. I did make a note on mine that apparently one of the two 3300uf 10v is only on the 1.0 and not on the 1.1. Additionally I found a list for a 1.3 and there was a difference on placement of a 22uf 25v so I’ll make a separate list for that version as well. I’d really like to see a board to verify that though. I did just run through a 1.6 and verified all locations, values, and voltage. Still need to do the 1.0 and 1.4 verifications. 

Any thoughts about including temps or maybe just a blanket statement that they need to be 105C or above? Same goes for low ESR. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee
  • Thanks 1

Great and helpful idea, but NeMesiS has done this already.  He created a highly detailed Original Xbox Replacement Capacitor Reference Guide for all three main Motherboard versions, complete with a High/Med/Low replacement priority list, Cap Specs and locations, and even recommended Nichi and Kemet replacement Cap PNs.  I didnt necessarily use all his recommended PNs when ordering replacement Caps because I had other considerations as well but it gives a great starting point...or if you have a crap ton to buy it makes it easier and saves so much time to just copy paste the PNs into Digikey or Mouser and be done with it.

It lists every. single. MB cap.  However, what it doesn't have are Mouser / DigiKey clickable links for the PNs nor does it have all of the PSU Caps (the 400V one isn't listed) or any of the DVD Caps.  There aren't that many different Caps so creating clickable links wouldn't take much time.

I downloaded the Guide from another site.  I'm not sure what the ethics are of posting someone else's work in another forum even if you credit them nor am I sure if its ok to put a link to another site's forum in THIS forum so I'll refrain from doing so unless explicitly given the ok by an admin.  If you would like info on the source site PM me or just contact Nemo himself...maybe he'd even post it here and be open to collaborating with you on adding links to it somehow and also including PSU and DVD Caps for the variants.  Challenge with the PSU may be that there could be Cap differences between the 120 and 240V.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arfows said:

Great and helpful idea, but NeMesiS has done this already.  He created a highly detailed Original Xbox Replacement Capacitor Reference Guide for all three main Motherboard versions, complete with a High/Med/Low replacement priority list, Cap Specs and locations, and even recommended Nichi and Kemet replacement Cap PNs.  I didnt necessarily use all his recommended PNs when ordering replacement Caps because I had other considerations as well but it gives a great starting point...or if you have a crap ton to buy it makes it easier and saves so much time to just copy paste the PNs into Digikey or Mouser and be done with it.

It lists every. single. MB cap.  However, what it doesn't have are Mouser / DigiKey clickable links for the PNs nor does it have all of the PSU Caps (the 400V one isn't listed) or any of the DVD Caps.  There aren't that many different Caps so creating clickable links wouldn't take much time.

I downloaded the Guide from another site.  I'm not sure what the ethics are of posting someone else's work in another forum even if you credit them nor am I sure if its ok to put a link to another site's forum in THIS forum so I'll refrain from doing so unless explicitly given the ok by an admin.  If you would like info on the source site PM me or just contact Nemo himself...maybe he'd even post it here and be open to collaborating with you on adding links to it somehow and also including PSU and DVD Caps for the variants.  Challenge with the PSU may be that there could be Cap differences between the 120 and 240V.

I don't think Nem would mind. I don't see why he would. It's non-profit information meant to assist others in the community. However, if there is hesitance to post it here... Well then I guess there will now be two lists :) 

6 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Cool. Thanks. I did make a note on mine that apparently one of the two 3300uf 10v is only on the 1.0 and not on the 1.1. Additionally I found a list for a 1.3 and there was a difference on placement of a 22uf 25v so I’ll make a separate list for that version as well. I’d really like to see a board to verify that though. I did just run through a 1.6 and verified all locations, values, and voltage. Still need to do the 1.0 and 1.4 verifications. 

Any thoughts about including temps or maybe just a blanket statement that they need to be 105C or above? Same goes for low ESR. 

I think 105 or above is fine. No need to get specific unless you're a purist. Lol.

5 hours ago, arfows said:

Yep…now that you mention it I do remember that list by Nem. It’s very detailed and color coded if I remember correctly. I think he had PSU caps in it as well but I’m not positive. Also I do remember he had some polymer replacements as well. The only thing I’d want to have different (and this was just me) is to have the same type caps grouped together with their locations like in the sample above. That way it was just all together as an easy reference for someone starting out. I’ll probably message him and see if he minds me doing anything with that list or something. Also maybe he could post that one here or give permission for one of us to post with credit to him. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, arfows said:

I have a couple US power supplies (some from 1.0-1.1, some from a 1.4) pulled out right now and a couple DVD drives (samsung variants) that I need to take apart so if you guys want to collaborate on that part I could provide that data.  Let me know

That would be cool. It would be nice to have the different cap lists for dvds all together in similar format. Same with PSUs as you mentioned above. Though I could only say for the US PSUs since I have no experience with the non US ones. 

Hey are you still playing around with that decision tree/flow chart idea you had? Off subject I know but it just popped in my head. 

Yep, that's the one.  I just messaged him.  If he created it on Excel (or even Word) then it would be super easy to create pivot tables or sort commands that would be able to display the data multiple ways.

I just PM'd him and gave him the link to this thread to see if he wouldn't mind if it was reposted here

1 minute ago, arfows said:

Still playing around with the fault tree idea.  I've been out of the area for a while and other than this weekend won't have much time to work on it til early next year unfortunately

Understandable. That’s a bigger project that’ll take some time. Cool idea though and I think it would be really helpful. 

As for Nem’s list…if he’s cool with it being posted I think we should make a new thread with just that in it. It would be cleaner and easier to find with a better topic title than what I have on this one. Also yeah it would be great if there was a spreadsheet I could play with of that. Even if it was just for me. :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Understandable. That’s a bigger project that’ll take some time. Cool idea though and I think it would be really helpful. 

As for Nem’s list…if he’s cool with it being posted I think we should make a new thread with just that in it. It would be cleaner and easier to find with a better topic title than what I have on this one. Also yeah it would be great if there was a spreadsheet I could play with of that. Even if it was just for me. :D 

We are allowed to create our own caps list ya know 😛 I think yours is more than sufficient. It groups them which is what I had intended to do with the list would have made.

Thank you again, @FrostyMaGee

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 5:01 AM, FrostyMaGee said:

V1.0-1.1

Quantity

Value

Voltage

Dimension

10uf

16v

3x5.4mm SMD

C7B3

47uf

16v

6.3x5.4mm SMD

C5A3

680uf

16v

8x15mm

1500uf

6.3v

10x20mm

C1G1, C2F3

3300uf

10v

12.5x25mm

C7G1, C8F2, C8G1

1500uf

16v

12x20mm

100uf

25v

6x11mm

22uf

25v

5x11mm

From Nemesis 

https://www.docdroid.net/KjoNVm8/ogxbox-replacment-capacitors-pdf

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nemesis made an update to this cap list : https://file.io/xXSmh9p334xh.
But this list has errors. As you can see here, some caps have wrong values : C2F3 & C1G1 are 3300uF, instead of 2200uF, C8G1, C8F2 and C7G1 are 16v caps, and not 6.3.
The clock cap is also 2.5v and not 2.7V (even if it works with 2.7 value).

I haven't yet contacted @NeMesiS about these errors, but you should check every cap list you have.

Replacement Guide.pdf

On 12/19/2023 at 12:43 AM, Leminas said:

Nemesis made an update to this cap list : https://file.io/xXSmh9p334xh.
But this list has errors. As you can see here, some caps have wrong values : C2F3 & C1G1 are 3300uF, instead of 2200uF, C8G1, C8F2 and C7G1 are 16v caps, and not 6.3.
The clock cap is also 2.5v and not 2.7V (even if it works with 2.7 value).

I haven't yet contacted @NeMesiS about these errors, but you should check every cap list you have.

Replacement Guide.pdf 888.94 kB · 1 download

They are not errors...

I don't think that Polymer Caps were available in those specific value's.
Package and physical dimensions would have played a role too.
I may have discussed it on the BadCaps forum but I'm not sure.

Search for a 3300uF Polymer Capacitor and you'll see what I mean...

3300 uF Aluminium Organic Polymer Capacitors – Mouser Australia

I though it was a capacitor reference guide, so when the values didn’t match the ones on the motherboard, I was wondering if there was an error.
According to some information, you can change an electrolytic capacitor to a polymer one, with a capacitance reduced in half, but I wouldn’t take the risk.
But for C8G1, C8F2 and C7G1, the voltage is lower (6.3V instead of 16V), which would create crashes on the Xbox, regardless of the type of capacitor.
I also spotted another error : C2F3 is not populated on 1.1 motherboards, so it is useless to buy a new one.