OGXbox.com

What Causes a Bad DVD Drive?

CGetchCCU

I am not talking about the laser or motors going bad, I am talking about the board itself.

Bad boards can cause a Xbox to frag. Sometimes a drive will cause the Xbox to no longer quickboot XBlast chip. Which components on the board can cause these issues?

I know that a new and better method to fix Gamecube drives are to replace the capacitors over touching the pot. Is there anything that can be repaired on a bad board on one of the Xbox drives?

9 hours ago, ChriZz said:

I often had the problem with Samsung drives that the resistors became high impedance. But never a defective laser. Of around 20 Samsungs that I repaired, 18 had exactly this problem.

Which resistors are they, typically, and what values SHOULD they have, versus WHAT they have when they're been bad?

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Which resistors are they, typically, and what values SHOULD they have, versus WHAT they have when they're been bad?

In the red box.

On this board there is 6 banks of resistors and each bank has 4 resistors that are 330 ohm each and it could be just one of the resistors has gone open circuit.

The capacitors in blue are also stating to fail and I have replaced heaps of that type in other electronics that have leaked.

DVD-PCB.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

The resistance networks (NR 601 - NR 604) have 33 ohms, one or two become high-resistance over time...several kilo ohms to even mega ohms were the case with my Samsung DVDs. The other networks with 82 ohms have so far been unremarkable. Unfortunately I don't know why this happens. Poor component quality or overuse, who knows. I always got error code 12 and sometimes also HDD timeout errors and funny transfer errors. It took me a long time to find out what the cause was. But as I said, all of the ones I've had in my hands have exactly these failures. There were a few outliers where only the switch for “tray in” had bad contact. Ss_Dave was faster. You can see exactly where the components are located in his picture. At the beginning I simply bridged the defective parts with a normal resistor... I didn't have anything else and I needed to be sure that it was just this component... so that works too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChriZz said:

The resistance networks (NR 601 - NR 604) have 33 ohms, one or two become high-resistance over time...several kilo ohms to even mega ohms were the case with my Samsung DVDs. The other networks with 82 ohms have so far been unremarkable. Unfortunately I don't know why this happens. Poor component quality or overuse, who knows. I always got error code 12 and sometimes also HDD timeout errors and funny transfer errors. It took me a long time to find out what the cause was. But as I said, all of the ones I've had in my hands have exactly these failures. There were a few outliers where only the switch for “tray in” had bad contact. Ss_Dave was faster. You can see exactly where the components are located in his picture. At the beginning I simply bridged the defective parts with a normal resistor... I didn't have anything else and I needed to be sure that it was just this component... so that works too

Normal as in not an SMD? Which value did you end up using that was sufficient?

9 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Normal wie kein SMD? Welchen Wert haben Sie am Ende verwendet, der ausreichend war?

https://de.farnell.com/panasonic/exbv8v330jv/widerstandsarray-konkav-0603x4/dp/2060153

That one should have been it. But please don't pin me on it. I don't have one on hand to measure because of the component size. As long as the value is right you can actually solder anything. I used normal carbon layer resistors as a test.

@lilkuz2005 Test the resistors, maybe you're lucky and it's defective right there. 

On 9/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, ChriZz said:

https://de.farnell.com/panasonic/exbv8v330jv/widerstandsarray-konkav-0603x4/dp/2060153

That one should have been it. But please don't pin me on it. I don't have one on hand to measure because of the component size. As long as the value is right you can actually solder anything. I used normal carbon layer resistors as a test.

@lilkuz2005 Test the resistors, maybe you're lucky and it's defective right there. 

I rememebr that fuckin hting. They're around the RAM modules. Think I fried one once.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2023 at 5:23 AM, ChriZz said:

Hi there, can you tell me what the acceptable tolerance is for these resistor arrays??

Both my Samsung drives dont read disks, one had an error 12. Ive only attempted to fix one so far, the one that was giving an Error 12, i checked all the 33 and 82 ohm arrays, found one 33 that was dead, bypassed that much like you did going from the pad to the ide connector, now reading 33.0, another one was high at 37, bypassed that as well, now reading 33.6. One of the 82 ohm resistors read 86.5, bypassed that now reading 81.8. Its now cleared the Error 12 but when i put the disk in the front light flashes on/off green for ages (loading dvd?) and then gives me a bad disk error dirty disk!

The resistors in the drive read:

NR601 = 33.2   33.6    32.8   and 33.0

NR602 = 33.3   33.4   33.0  and  33.0

NR603 = 33.0   33.6    32.8  and 33.0

NR604 = 32.8   33.6    33.1  and 33.2

NR605 = 81.8    82.3    84.3 and 82.8

NR606 = 83      83.8     83   and 83.3

The ones highlighted in bold are just the ones i changed already.

Any help would most appreciated!

I guess, 85.3 for one of the 82 ohm resistors in NR605 array is high? But i dont know...... ??

Thanks for tips and help, Bob.

Edited by Xboxerjb80

Until now I've always had ones that showed several kiloohms. Something like 6.9kohm, so completely wrong. Unfortunately I can't say how exactly the tolerance should be there. The ones I installed showed exactly 33 ohms and the ones that weren't defective also showed this value, there is now no one that deviates by even 1 ohm. The DVD you are using is relatively scratch-free or is it an original? 

Oh and if all else fails you can also check the capacitors. I haven't had any defects yet, but of course it's still possible.

Regarding the LED flashing... have you measured the 2 switches on the drive? The 2 switches are for drawer open or closed. I often measured problems there too. Another thing you can try is a new IDE cable. I have no idea why, but they often break. Hope this helps you first. 

May have nothing to do with your problem, but I once had an Xbox where the DVD drive, the HDD and the IDE cable were broken at the same time. Was a bit annoying.

Greetings