OGXbox.com

Help with lifted pin

herooftheday

14 minutes ago, herooftheday said:

Hi I wanted to upgrade the ram and I accedently lifted pin 55 acording to the datasheet it is CK is there a way to repair it?1fhsfdh173lb1.thumb.webp.0b3d3f203a30242dcb1b48518389ec68.webp

Oh, you lifted the "PAD". If there's a via linked next to it, then you should be able to link to that. I can't see clearly. But if there isn't... then I would say no. But there are people here with more hardware experience than I, so Kaos may chime in if he can.

5 minutes ago, lopenator said:

Its probably in your steel wool lol.  You should use hot air and pull the chip off so you can attach to the via.

It doesnt matter where it is, its gone so you cant use it.

I always feel like when I use hot air to detach a RAM chip, I'm destroying the chip and anything around it, like SMD components. lol. But I'm doing it perfectly fine. Heat scares the shit out of me. I would try the component that was suggested to be connected to the pad and the via. I dunno how you're gonna get a wire beneath the chip in order to solder to that via. Just make sure you solder to the side that comes before the component.

11 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I dunno how you're gonna get a wire beneath the chip in order to solder to that via.

Only way they're gonna get on the via and still be able to attach the Ram is using 38 AWG copper wire or smaller.  It would be much easier to go to the resistor assuming they don't knock that off too.

Edited by Fringle

10 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Only way they're gonna get on the via and still be able to attach the Ram is using 38 AWG copper wire or smaller.  It would be much easier to go to the resistor assuming they don't knock that off too.

That's what I'm saying, yeah.

15 minutes ago, lopenator said:

If you have a good rework station and know what youre doing it wont destroy anything. Thats what theyre made for.

....then again he pulled off a pad so

also those ram chips take alot of heat to damage although its possible to do so

It's good to know that the RAM chips can take some heat. I'm paranoid that the ones I'm salvaging from other boards wont work because I'm using heat, which I know is stupid because it requires heat to install them in the first place. I use 350 degrees so I barely use enough heat to remove the chips. It takes almost 2 minutes to pull them off running the narrow tip around the legs only... Should I turn up the heat so it comes up quicker and I'm not applying heat for so long, or should I keep it where it is and just be patient? I'm wondering if a longer duration and lower temperature is better than a shorter duration and a higher temperature.  I'm fucking scared I'll fry something. I guess a longer duration would preheat the board more effectively.

4 hours ago, Fringle said:

Via for that pad is under the ram, I've circled it in yellow.  You might be able to get a way with wiring a jumper wire to R6B8, also circled in yellow.

20230829_152709.jpg

Unable to edit post but my bad, I miscounted, the via is the one beside where I circled.  Still attach to same resistor but other side of it.

Sorry for the late response.

On 8/29/2023 at 10:12 PM, Marty said:

Flux and iron temperature?

Yes Stannol FDlux-Stift X - 32-10/i
320°C

On 8/29/2023 at 10:36 PM, lopenator said:

ou should use hot air and pull the chip off so you can attach to the via.

yes I did use my reflow to remove it I did not try it again because of work maqy try it on saturday

On 8/30/2023 at 6:39 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

No Problem. Run a simple jumper wire awg30 from the pin to the via I marked in my picture and you are good to go. ;)

Thx kind sir 🥰

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, herooftheday said:

only one question for the aladdin xt clone can I put on it xblast plus cerbios, currently I only have cerbios on it.
I saw that on github aladdin-xt-cpld would that work?

If you modify the cpld to be an XBlast, you need to upgrade the sst chip to 1mb. Then you can have both bios on there, yes.