OGXbox.com

errors 13 or 14 after Splinter Cell/Rocky's Softmod Tool

PHX-Sisko

Hello all,

I need some assistance. I was trying to softmod a few xbox's I got laying around here. One has a ton of update and DLC data on it I want to contribute back.

That all being said, I used one of the consoles that didn't have much data on it. I then used the Splinter Cell NTSC game. It worked and loaded up the softmod tool, I pressed A. It gave a generic error and asked me to choose NTSC or PAL, I chose NTSC. The script continued, appeared to backup the EEPROM, modify C Partition, etc.

at the end, it says "See that was painless go ahead and reboot" annnnnnnnnnd.....pain.

Only boots to an error 13 or 14

So, could I take this drive, hook it up to FATxplorer, unlock the drive with null or 1111's, grab the legit hdd key from the E: partition, then lock the drive using the correct key. Then can I use FATxplorer to rebuild the dashboard/C partition somehow? From what I can tell from YT vids, when it rebooted, it looks like a script should have ran and that never happened, just errors 13 or 14 and nothing boots (real discs or burnt ones).

I do have access to one softmodded xbox if that helps me to solve this...

Regards,

PHX-Sisko

and not that it should matter, but I am moving the files around using the Action Replay app and their 8MB Memory Unit. I copy both files from it to the hard drive. I have a 20 yr old laptop in the closet with XP on it for these very one-off experiences. I removed the mem card before running anything.

16 minutes ago, PHX-Sisko said:

and not that it should matter, but I am moving the files around using the Action Replay app and their 8MB Memory Unit. I copy both files from it to the hard drive. I have a 20 yr old laptop in the closet with XP on it for these very one-off experiences. I removed the mem card before running anything.

Cheers for possessing the xp laptop.

Heh, the Dell Inspiron 8200 was my first laptop ever. I remember playing Battlefield 1942 on it at LAN parties back in the day.

The specs were hella good for its time: Pentium 4M (Mobile) @1.9Ghz /w 1GB of RAM and a Radeon 9000 w/64MB of VRAM.

Now it's my "I need an XP device that's not a VM" machine lol - so it rarely gets pulled out, but for an old 32bit app that relies on 32bit driver support, it fit the bill for this project.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1019

The part that is still shocking me is the battery is the original OEM and still seems to hold a 2hr charge when I left it off the charge.

My Galaxy S9+ is on it's 3rd battery...

Edited by PHX-Sisko
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PHX-Sisko said:

Hello all,

I need some assistance. I was trying to softmod a few xbox's I got laying around here. One has a ton of update and DLC data on it I want to contribute back.

That all being said, I used one of the consoles that didn't have much data on it. I then used the Splinter Cell NTSC game. It worked and loaded up the softmod tool, I pressed A. It gave a generic error and asked me to choose NTSC or PAL, I chose NTSC. The script continued, appeared to backup the EEPROM, modify C Partition, etc.

at the end, it says "See that was painless go ahead and reboot" annnnnnnnnnd.....pain.

So, could I take this drive, hook it up to FATxplorer, unlock the drive with null or 1111's, grab the legit hdd key from the E: partition, then lock the drive using the correct key. Then can I use FATxplorer to rebuild the dashboard/C partition somehow? From what I can tell from YT vids, when it rebooted, it looks like a script should have ran and that never happened, just errors 13 or 14 and nothing boots (real discs or burnt ones).

Regards,

PHX-Sisko

Sounds like you didn’t add a dashboard and the Xbox has nothing to boot into. If you’re able, download and burn the Rocky 5 Extras disc or OGXboxInstaller. You’ll be able to install a dash from either of those, fairly easy. 

19 hours ago, PHX-Sisko said:

Regards,

PHX-Sisko

NO, the hard drive is not locked with an all 1's or 0's cryptographically computed password.   

That is, if you did not use the NKPatcher Settings app to modify the HDKey and relock the hard drive using the associated password computed for the updated HDKey value.

From the factory, each Xbox has a unique HDKey stored in an 8-pin 2048-bit (256 byte) serial EEPROM (configuration EEPROM). 

The unlocking password is computed each time the console boots by reading and decrypting the HDKey stored in the configuration EEPROM and reading the hard drive's model and serial number.  This computed password is then sent to the hard drive via an ATA Security command to unlock (gain access to) the hard drive's content.

Where do I "add a dashboard" using the Splinter Cell/Xbox Softmoding Tool combo? When the tool came up after the exploit, it was just "press A" and the rest of the process was scripted.

Also, I have an extras disc, but as noted above, the unit does not play/boot burnt discs or retail discs at this point since the Xbox booted to a failed boot each time.

I don't believe there is an automated tool to repair this. My question is how do I fix the C Partition using FATxplorer? I noticed the key was saved during the script that ran, I could use null or 1111's to unlock the drive, grab the real hdd key and repair the C Partition then lock it (with the real key). That's what I assume can be done. Looking for confirmation and some basic instructions.

19 hours ago, PHX-Sisko said:

just errors 13 or 14 and nothing boots (real discs or burnt ones).

This error occurs with the original Xbox 8 or 10GB IDE hard drive?

You will see this error if you upgrade to a SATA hard drive and use the stock 40-wire 40-pin IDE cable.  With an upgraded SATA hard drive/IDE-to-SATA adapter combo, you must swap out the stock IDE cable with a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin one.

51 minutes ago, PHX-Sisko said:

Where do I "add a dashboard" using the Splinter Cell/Xbox Softmoding Tool combo? When the tool came up after the exploit, it was just "press A" and the rest of the process was scripted.

You don't. It is installed when you run the Xbox Softmodding Tool installer using the exploited game save file to run it.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:13 AM, PHX-Sisko said:

Hello all,

Regards,

PHX-Sisko

Why did you use the quick upgrade installer files?

This is why there are prebuilt files and instructions included on what to do. 

The only 2 that give the “NTSC or PAL” options are quick upgrade and factory reset. Both you don’t use to softmod a system. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I used those files because I wanted to corrupt my C drive. Thought it would be a cool time to waste many hours. Has nothing to do with the documentation for this process being posted on multiple websites with multiple ways to do it. Couldn't be that...

Anymore smarmy responses with no help?

1 hour ago, PHX-Sisko said:

Well, there is no way I see to remove my account from this site, but feel free to delete this post (users can't?). I'm not wasting anymore time and energy on this garbage. Will just hardmod that console and move on.

Why are you getting mad at us?  

We are trying to help.  However, softmodding incorrectly doesn't work as you have found out.  Learn from your mistake.

Did you do what Rocky5 said to get your Xbox in its current state?

Do you have a USB-to-IDE interface adapter? 

You can use FATXplorer 3.0 beta on a Windows PC to unlock the hard drive with the manufacturer's MASTER password for stock hard drives. Next, replace all of the files on the Xbox hard drive's C drive with the content of the Clean_C_and_E_FIles_for_Xbox.7z archive's C folder. Then, use the Build v1.1.9 / Xbox Softmodding Tool.zip package's content to re-softmod the Xbox with one of the supported exploitable Xbox games.

However, you could install the files extracted from the Xbox Softmodding Tool's Build v1.1.9 / Installer Variants / XBHDM Build.zip archive instead.  This file set installs a no-original-game-disc-required bootable Xbox Softmodding Tool installer onto the hard drive.  After copying the files to the C drive, disconnect the hard drive from your PC then reinstall it in the Xbox.  Power on the Xbox to boot into the softmod installer.  Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the full softmod installation.

On 8/12/2023 at 10:09 AM, PHX-Sisko said:

Well, there is no way I see to remove my account from this site, but feel free to delete this post (users can't?). I'm not wasting anymore time and energy on this garbage. Will just hardmod that console and move on.

Heh, that sounds familiar. Can't remember the name though... I believe he shot that shit in Admin's direction though.

Sounds like a good way to work out how to fix your problem. I know I personally stuck around here for 1,600 posts because of all the unhelpful smart-asses that hang around and just judge me unfairly without offering any help. I enjoy that sort of environment. Enjoy not having a community to help you figure out your problems and support you when you experience difficulty Mr. Know-it-all. Try learning from Kaos's response to your post. That's maturity DEFINED.

Lo fuckin' L.