OGXbox.com

I need help troubleshooting my xecuter2 mod chip

Kaptain

So I got my Xbox back after 20 years and it no longer boots into the dash. Its like its stock but the boot screen still says xecuter2 instead of Microsoft so I have hope that is still working.

Could it be booting to the stock menu cause the chip is disabled?

I'll attach a pic of my mod chip.

PXL_20230807_015024780.jpg

8 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

If the chip is disabled, then you would NOT see the Xecuter logo at startup. You would see Microsoft if it were skipping the LPC, assuming the TSOP isn't flashed... Are the TSOP solder points connected for that version? Also, what version is it? How does it boot if the chip is unplugged?

So 20 years ago this all worked, I don't know what has happened since then. Could he have installed a Microsoft update that's causing this? 

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by TOSP solder points for the version. Are you referring to the console motherboard version? If so I'll get that and try booting it unplugged once I'm home. 

Thanks for the help

The BIOS flashed to your X2 modchip has a diffferent location programmed into its boot order list than where the dashboard is installed on your hard drive.  If the three user-defined dashboards are not found, the stock dashboard is loaded from the C drive - C:\xboxdash.xbe.

Originally X2 BIOSes had their boot order list set to:

• C:\evoxdash.xbe
  • C:\avalaunch.xbe
  • C:\nexgen.xbe

Over the years devs of new install discs have changed the boot order list entries.

6 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

The BIOS flashed to your X2 modchip has a diffferent location programmed into its boot order list than where the dashboard is installed on your hard drive.  If the three user-defined dashboards are not found, the stock dashboard is loaded from the C drive - C:\xboxdash.xbe.

Over the years devs of new install discs have changed the boot order list entries.

Oh that reminds me, what happens if you try to launch a disc, rather than the dashboard? @Kaptain

1 minute ago, Kaptain said:

Any chance this problem of mine could be caused by a fault clock capacitor? I noticed it doesn't hold time when I unplug it.

I doubt it for now. The problem that Kaos is describing should only be a problem if you either changed something major with your dash setup, or the HDD has failed and the bios can't find the dash. That's why I'm asking if it will boot a disc that's already inserted upon startup.

9 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

I remember using some sort of ftp software to get into this box. I imagine it would still work if I setup the network on the Xbox. W what software would I try?

5 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I doubt it for now. The problem that Kaos is describing should only be a problem if you either changed something major with your dash setup, or the HDD has failed and the bios can't find the dash. That's why I'm asking if it will boot a disc that's already inserted upon startup.

So when I get home I'll boot with Chip unplugged. I'll boot with disc in drive and I'll put a disc in after it's booted and report back with results

Okay I have an update. 

With a game disc in, if I turn it on it boots right into the game, xecuter2 seen in boot up.

Console on, insert game disc, boots into game.

Unhook mod chip and I get an error 5 and green/red flashing light.

I put it on my network, even though it's got an IP I cannot ping it or ftp to port 21.

Should I burn hexen to a disc?

Oh and it's a 1.1 console I believe. Maybe 1.0.

17 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

I recommend running some tests on the HDD to verify that’s it’s still in working order and not on its last leg. I have plenty of IDE HDDs if that turns out to be the issue. 

I ordered an adapter so I can use my 250gb SSD but thanks. I probably have an old ata as well somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty said:

Use the Hexen disk to install a newer dashboard....see if you can then launch that.

So I saw an evolution x zip file on the disc and extracted it to my PC. Where should the dashboard go on the Xbox, I have a hunch but I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

1 minute ago, Kaptain said:

So I saw an evolution x zip file on the disc and extracted it to my PC. Where should the dashboard go on the Xbox, I have a hunch but I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

You should be able to FTP it to C:

As KaosEngineer pointed out, a bios will have different places where it looks to boot the dashboard.  The vast majority will look for C:\evoxdash.xbe  as one of the dashboards so FTP evoxdash.xbe to C: