OGXbox.com

I need help troubleshooting my xecuter2 mod chip

Kaptain

12 minutes ago, RMM said:

You should be able to FTP it to 😄

As KaosEngineer pointed out, a bios will have different places where it looks to boot the dashboard.  The vast majority will look for C:\evoxdash.xbe  as one of the dashboards so FTP evoxdash.xbe to 😄

Should I name it xboxdash.xbe?

Well I tried coping over a dash this morning and it didnt go well.

I ended up leaving the xbox on all night to let the files transfer from the drive to my pc, looks like it finished.

I believe it overheated at some point cause it would not reboot; only red/green flashing light and nvidia heatsink was very hot.

So I cooled it off and replaced the original grease on both chips with the silver stuff.  It booted up twice but didnt read with the disc.  So I tried again without the disc and got error 16.    And now I am back to the red/green flashing...and have to leave for work.

What should I try next?  Reflow?

19 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Yeah renaming the dash to the MS dash is how a softmod works. Fuck that. Lol. Let us know. :)

So I got it to quit boot looping but im still getting an error 16.  The clock cap has leaked so I ordered a replacment.  Should I just remove it?

What do you think?  I feel like im playing wack a mole, but I am enjoying getting back into this especially with my 9 year old son involved.

3 hours ago, Kaptain said:

So I got it to quit boot looping but im still getting an error 16.  The clock cap has leaked so I ordered a replacment.  Should I just remove it?

What do you think?  I feel like im playing wack a mole, but I am enjoying getting back into this especially with my 9 year old son involved.

As long as its not a v1.6 Xbox you can remove the capacitor and leave it out.  If its a v1.6 Xbox and you remove the capacitor, your Xbox wont work until you put the new capacitor in.

As far as FTPing the dashboard over, it shouldnt take that long.  The evoxdash.xbe is only 2984kb so it should transfer quick.    I would try using WinSCP to FTP files to your Xbox and see if that helps because sometimes people have issues with Filezilla if that is what you are using. 

I would also try to download evoxdash.xbe from another source and see if it makes any difference.  Hazeno has a guide on upgrading your hard drive and on this page he has a link to C and E partition files.  You can find a good evoxdash.xbe included with the C partition files https://www.hazeno.com/og-xbox-hdd-2tb-and-under

3 hours ago, Kaptain said:

Yes it did

If you have the x2config.ini file you can save it to your computer, open it up with notepad and see what dashboards your bios is trying to load.  This way you know what dashboards you would need on your Xbox, where they need to be and in what order your bios would look to boot them. 

For example x2config.ini may list something like:

dash1Name = c:avalaunch.xbe
dash2Name = c:evoxdash.xbe
dash3Name = c:unleashx.xbe
dash4Name = c:xbmc.xbe
dash5Name = c:xboxdash.xbe

If you would like to change the .ini file to a different dashboard you could do it and FTP it back to your Xbox with the edits you made.

16 minutes ago, RMM said:

If you have the x2config.ini file you can save it to your computer, open it up with notepad and see what dashboards your bios is trying to load.  This way you know what dashboards you would need on your Xbox, where they need to be and in what order your bios would look to boot them. 

For example x2config.ini may list something like:

dash1Name = c:avalaunch.xbe
dash2Name = c:evoxdash.xbe
dash3Name = c:unleashx.xbe
dash4Name = c:xbmc.xbe
dash5Name = c:xboxdash.xbe

If you would like to change the .ini file to a different dashboard you could do it and FTP it back to your Xbox with the edits you made.

Ya I have ini files and I vaguely remember editing them 20 years ago. 

Currently I'll battling an intermittent boot loop error 16. 

When it does boot it doesn't see the mod chip anymore. I've got a replacement cap coming, I really hope that's all it is. Then I can get back up fixing the dashboard.

Thanks for the help thus far

If you know anything about fixing error 16 let me know 

17 minutes ago, Kaptain said:

Ya I have ini files and I vaguely remember editing them 20 years ago. 

Currently I'll battling an intermittent boot loop error 16. 

When it does boot it doesn't see the mod chip anymore. I've got a replacement cap coming, I really hope that's all it is. Then I can get back up fixing the dashboard.

Thanks for the help thus far

If you know anything about fixing error 16 let me know 

The error 16 is most often a bios issue where your bios needs to be updated to get around the clock loop but sometimes it can be a messed up dashboard.  I thought updating your dashboard might be a good quick 1st try to resolve the issue but I wouldnt spend too much time on it.  The X2 bioses do have the clock loop fixed at least on the later versions so Im guessing you may have an earlier version that doesnt have the clock loop fix.

Edited by RMM

3 hours ago, RMM said:

The error 16 is most often a bios issue where your bios needs to be updated to get around the clock loop but sometimes it can be a messed up dashboard.  I thought updating your dashboard might be a good quick 1st try to resolve the issue but I wouldnt spend too much time on it.  The X2 bioses do have the clock loop fixed at least on the later versions so Im guessing you may have an earlier version that doesnt have the clock loop fix.

True. Some bioses bypass the stupid HDD clock error. I HATE that error. Lol.

30 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

True. Some bioses bypass the stupid HDD clock error. I HATE that error. Lol.

I've been watching videos on it for the last 2 hours. Not looking good. Thinking i may cut my losses with this box and get another. 

I've got a leaking clock cap that could have corroded my board, or my power supply is faulty. This is what I believe is causing the boot loop.  If I can get passed this I may be able to cure the error 16.

6 hours ago, Kaptain said:

I've been watching videos on it for the last 2 hours. Not looking good. Thinking i may cut my losses with this box and get another. 

I've got a leaking clock cap that could have corroded my board, or my power supply is faulty. This is what I believe is causing the boot loop.  If I can get passed this I may be able to cure the error 16.

That should be a software error. I really don't think the clock cap is responsible. What have you seen to make you think that error is a death sentence?

1 minute ago, Bowlsnapper said:

That should be a software error. I really don't think the clock cap is responsible. What have you seen to make you think that error is a death sentence?

I watched a couple videos with boot loop and 16, one guy didn't recover other guy solved it with Caps on the psu.

Tonight I ripped off the clock cap and cleaned everything with ipa. Fixed the boot loop.

Now I'm getting 16 with hexen in the drive and 5 with a game in the drive. 

My mod chip doesn't appear to be working, I don't see the xecuter2 anymore.

16 minutes ago, Kaptain said:

I watched a couple videos with boot loop and 16, one guy didn't recover other guy solved it with Caps on the psu.

Tonight I ripped off the clock cap and cleaned everything with ipa. Fixed the boot loop.

Now I'm getting 16 with hexen in the drive and 5 with a game in the drive. 

My mod chip doesn't appear to be working, I don't see the xecuter2 anymore.

Oh crap. I KNOW clock cap leakages have killed something with supplying power to the LPC in the past...

6 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Oh crap. I KNOW clock cap leakages have killed something with supplying power to the LPC in the past...

I just wish I knew how to confirm my mod isn't dead. Oh and I think hexen left my HDD unlocked when it crashed so that is why I have error 5

22 minutes ago, Kaptain said:

I just wish I knew how to confirm my mod isn't dead. Oh and I think hexen left my HDD unlocked when it crashed so that is why I have error 5

Did you specify HDD unlocking somehow? Otherwise, the box should lock the HDD before shutdown as part of the power-off process. That would be the first I've heard of it happening. I think it's an EEPROM setting. Although I can definitely understand why you would think that in light of when and how it started... I might be wondering the same thing.

36 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Did you specify HDD unlocking somehow? Otherwise, the box should lock the HDD before shutdown as part of the power-off process. That would be the first I've heard of it happening. I think it's an EEPROM setting. Although I can definitely understand why you would think that in light of when and how it started... I might be wondering the same thing.

I didn't initiate a shutdown, I think it got hot and locked up...

On 8/9/2023 at 10:42 PM, Kaptain said:

A hard modded Xbox doesnt need the hard drive locked. That is one big advantage to using a modchip.   You said in one of your earlier posts you disconnected the modchip and got an error 5.  That was before you tried Hexen.  If you disconnected the modchip before you tried all this other stuff and got the error 5, I dont think your hard drive was ever locked.

From your pictures I cant tell what kind of mod chip you have but I do see jumpers on it.  Could you have moved a jumper which disabled the modchip? or accidentally pulled a soldered wire?  If you disabled the modchip you would no longer be booting the with the Xecuter2 logo.  You would be booting stock with an unlocked hard drive and of course you would get the error 5.

8 hours ago, RMM said:

A hard modded Xbox doesnt need the hard drive locked. That is one big advantage to using a modchip.   You said in one of your earlier posts you disconnected the modchip and got an error 5.  That was before you tried Hexen.  If you disconnected the modchip before you tried all this other stuff and got the error 5, I dont think your hard drive was ever locked.

From your pictures I cant tell what kind of mod chip you have but I do see jumpers on it.  Could you have moved a jumper which disabled the modchip? or accidentally pulled a soldered wire?  If you disabled the modchip you would no longer be booting the with the Xecuter2 logo.  You would be booting stock with an unlocked hard drive and of course you would get the error 5.

It was an xecuter2, I'm 98 percent certain it's dead. There are 2 jumpers one is labeled on/off and the other is bios I believe. With the chip installed it would boot loop so I took it out and installed it into a 1.0 Xbox and got the same boot loop.

I'm currently waiting on an Aladdin chip so I can move forward.

Update

As of last night I'm back in business. I installed a new Aladdin chip since my xecuter2 died. Put the box back together and I was back to were I was a week ago, 😂.

So I installed a new dashboard to the hard drive and so is well again. Just need to add more games. I think I may install a larger drive tonight.

Thanks

Kirk

8 hours ago, Kaptain said:

Update

As of last night I'm back in business. I installed a new Aladdin chip since my xecuter2 died. Put the box back together and I was back to were I was a week ago, 😂.

So I installed a new dashboard to the hard drive and so is well again. Just need to add more games. I think I may install a larger drive tonight.

Thanks

Kirk

What bios are you using? One that cam from Ali?