OGXbox.com

1.6 clock cap removal

lopenator

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Well that's what I mean. If something is required to absorb the current to avoid all risk, then an LED would be a sick option.

I think if you wanted to use a led, you should use redherrings method but instead of a conductor connecting the 2 points, use a led

Edited by lopenator

2 hours ago, lopenator said:

I think if you wanted to use a led, you should use redherrings method but instead of a conductor connecting the 2 points, use a led

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Well that's what I mean. If something is required to absorb the current to avoid all risk, then an LED would be a sick option.

You do realise the clock cap is only running on 2.5 volt  and at 3.3 volt you would need a 1k ohm resistor

The calculated current draw on a 220 ohm is 1.04Ma (0.0104 amp) or 0.026042 watts

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

You do realise the clock cap is only running on 2.5 volt  and at 3.3 volt you would need a 1k ohm resistor

The calculated current draw on a 220 ohm is 1.04Ma (0.0104 amp) or 0.026042 watts

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

... I realize it NOW. 

Being a Commodore Amiga owner I am more than familiar with this, what started out as battery failure on the older pre surface mount boards, which eats the boards in the same way as aerogel caps do.  Everyone thought the later models would be fine as they used coin cells and were surface mount.    NOPE!    A few years back users became aware of older machines caps simply drying out so not working or giving odd  issues.  Then the late model stuff with surface mount caps started to show up with cap leaks and board rot.

I see the same thing happening in car radios, the retro cool market is now full of guys who will fix your 1880’s or 90’s radio that has become useless and in some cases upgrade it with bluetooth and such while its with them.

Its rife all over the electrical industry, and seems to depend on age and what quality the caps were when installed. Ive seen boards that are 10 years old die and boards that are 30 years old that are fine. Similarly boards made in different locations can have differnet components, that age differently.

Its coming to all OG’s its just a matter of when.    The 1.6 is no different and i fully expect the cap removal to be come standard in af ew years, along with the replacement of those ticking time bomb tin capacitors.  Rebuilding eaten traces on an Amiga 1200 is hard enough, at times but the Xbox traces are all a lot smaller and more densely packed, so will be much more challenging.

I think its gonna be a case of swap out prior to death, on mine once i find any that are showing the tell tail signs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 5:42 AM, ChriZz said:

Hallo zusammen. Hab diesen heute aus einer 1.6 entfernt.... Ist nicht die erste 1.6 wo der cap so aussiehtDSC_0127.thumb.jpg.4dbd6f318bead81bd13b8b281612184d.jpg

And all the post I see saying the gold cap doesn't leak and it will bulge like the CPU/GPU caps.

Cheers

SS Dave

Der Kondensator hatte keine beule. Man sah nur etwas Feuchtigkeit.. Genau wie bei den Kondensatoren der Version 1.0-1.4 und wie gasagt, das ist nicht der erste bei der Version 1.6 der so aussieht.

Ich denke mal die kommen jetzt alle so langsam. 

Hab es jetzt so gemacht wie ss_dave vorschlägt. Funktioniert tadellos.DSC_0130.thumb.jpg.45cb10072ffd6f934f71d19e726393cb.jpg

PS ich lese hier schon eine Weile mit und dieses geballte Insiderwissen ist einfach unglaublich und hat mir sehr geholfen meine Sammlung auf vordermann zu bringen. Dieses forum ist spitze! 

Beste Grüße aus Deutschland

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChriZz said:

Der Kondensator hatte keine beule. Man sah nur etwas Feuchtigkeit.. Genau wie bei den Kondensatoren der Version 1.0-1.4 und wie gasagt, das ist nicht der erste bei der Version 1.6 der so aussieht.

Ich denke mal die kommen jetzt alle so langsam. 

Hab es jetzt so gemacht wie ss_dave vorschlägt. Funktioniert tadellos.DSC_0130.thumb.jpg.45cb10072ffd6f934f71d19e726393cb.jpg

PS ich lese hier schon eine Weile mit und dieses geballte Insiderwissen ist einfach unglaublich und hat mir sehr geholfen meine Sammlung auf vordermann zu bringen. Dieses forum ist spitze! 

Beste Grüße aus Deutschland

I agree this is going to become the norm, as I expected. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2023 at 11:09 PM, SS_Dave said:

And all the post I see saying the gold cap doesn't leak and it will bulge like the CPU/GPU caps.

Cheers

SS Dave

I have a 1.6 soft modded recently updated with rocky5 so clock bug now fixed for dates over 2019 so I can safely remove the gold cap and replace with a led (any particular led size wise) and can this be on a wire so the led is visible if I drill a suitable hole in the lower case so I know its wall powered?

And the xbox will still power on and boot straight into my softmod even if unplugged from wall etc?

2 hours ago, henhead78 said:

I have a 1.6 soft modded recently updated with rocky5 so clock bug now fixed for dates over 2019 so I can safely remove the gold cap and replace with a led (any particular led size wise) and can this be on a wire so the led is visible if I drill a suitable hole in the lower case so I know its wall powered?

And the xbox will still power on and boot straight into my softmod even if unplugged from wall etc?

You can use any led in place of the clock cap on a 1.6 board, It will only work one way around  so if you fit the led and it will not power on refit the led the other way around.

You could also extended the LED leads so it's located to the front of the Xbox and shines down from the front panel.

Fitting a LED will not change the way the Xbox boots and the only thing that happens is you need to set the clock if you remove the mains power but that happens anyway even with a cap in place. If the Xbox is connected to your home network the clock is set automatically by most modern dash boards.

I am not sure what you mean by this ?

Cheers

SS Dave

34 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

You can use any led in place of the clock cap on a 1.6 board, It will only work one way around  so if you fit the led and it will not power on refit the led the other way around.

You could also extended the LED leads so it's located to the front of the Xbox and shines down from the front panel.

Fitting a LED will not change the way the Xbox boots and the only thing that happens is you need to set the clock if you remove the mains power but that happens anyway even with a cap in place. If the Xbox is connected to your home network the clock is set automatically by most modern dash boards.

I am not sure what you mean by this ?

Cheers

SS Dave

I recently dug out my xbox from storage of a couple of years, at first it would only boot to date input then stock dashboard (yellow led) even after reboot

I soft modded it years ago using the swap method to unlock the drive and install the mod with the clock bug present

I left it plugged in for 20 minutes same issue. I then tried to reactivate the softmod using <<EggsBox>> method same issue.

After Multiple boots and date inputs  (2003) it booted I have left it plugged in since and boots fine now to soft mod. I am not sure what will happen now if unplugged and the clock cap runs out

I have now upgraded using rocky5 upgrade disc via ftp so its now upto date and no longer has date bug.

It's also connected to a router for ftp access and is getting time and date automatically now.

I have also enabled persistent softmod using rocky5 soft modding tool if that makes a difference 

Edited by henhead78

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 8:30 AM, henhead78 said:

I am not sure what will happen now if unplugged and the clock cap runs out

The clock cap when new would only retain the time and date for several hours with the mains removed anyway.

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The clock cap when new would only retain the time and date for several hours with the mains removed anyway.

Cheers

SS Dave

I've honestly never missed it. The resistor allows the 1.6 to boot, yes? How much are those caps?

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I've honestly never missed it. The resistor allows the 1.6 to boot, yes? How much are those caps?

I don’t recall the exact price of the super cap replacements but they were under a dollar each from mouser and Digikey last I looked. Maybe like .89 cents or something. I stopped bothering replacing them on anything lower than the 1.6s since they didn’t have to be there. I used to keep some on hand for the 1.6s just in case. Now I just order them as needed since I’m usually buying a larger order of 3300uf, etc caps from one of those places at a pretty regular interval anyway. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently implemented Red Herrings clock cap bypass on my 1.6 mobo and it did not work. Unfortunately I lost r7p3 and r7p6 in the process but I still managed to get the XBOX to boot by just installing an LED in place of the cap and connecting the positive leg to the 2.5 v side of r7p6.

Does anyone know if this is safe? I left the xbox running for an hour or two and seemed fine. Also does anyone know what the purpose of r7p3 and r7p6 are? 

Edited by kbear
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 3:34 PM, kbear said:

I recently implemented Red Herrings clock cap bypass on my 1.6 mobo and it did not work. Unfortunately I lost r7p3 and r7p6 in the process but I still managed to get the XBOX to boot by just installing an LED in place of the cap and connecting the positive leg to the 2.5 v side of r7p6.

Does anyone know if this is safe? I left the xbox running for an hour or two and seemed fine. Also does anyone know what the purpose of r7p3 and r7p6 are? 

I'm trying to figure what you did wrong. r7p3 and r7p6 are resistors